Propose changes for one-size-fit-all keyboard layout file

twisteroid ambassador

Jul 5, 2014, 5:15:51 PM7/5/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Even though there's no easy way to provide device-specific keyboard layout files, we should still provide a AT_Translated_Set_2_keyboard.kl file catering to all laptop built-in keyboards, in order to fix things in Generic.kl that are not suitable for laptop keyboards.

Please provide your suggestions for a generic keyboard layout file in this thread.

My first proposal is to unmap key 143:

165c165
< # key 143   POWER             WAKE
---
> key 143   POWER             WAKE

Key code 143 is the Fn key on many Lenovo laptops. Right now, pressing Fn will put the machine to sleep, which is obviously not ideal. I can't find evidence that key 143 being actually used for the power button on any laptop, so it should be safe to unmap.

twisteroid ambassador

Jul 17, 2014, 9:38:04 PM7/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I've created AT_Translated_Set_2_keyboard.kl and AT_Translated_Set_2_keyboard.idc for laptop built-in keyboards. The attached zip file have the appropriate folder structure for extracting into device/generic/x86; simply extract the files there and the makefiles will copy them to the target image.

Changes from Generic.kl to AT_Translated_Set_2_keyboard.kl are:

Ummapped key 143 because it's the Fn key on many Lenovo laptops, not a power key, and there doesn't seem to be other laptops which does use 143 for power key.
Mapped the menu key ("right click" key, usually between right Alt and right Ctrl) to the recent apps function instead of menu function. This way all 3 on-screen soft keys have a hardware key counterpart: Esc for back, Windows key for home and menu key for recent apps.

Please include them into Android-x86. Thanks!
keyboard.zip

Chih-Wei Huang

Jul 30, 2014, 4:11:51 AM7/30/14
to Android-x86
<twisteroid...@gmail.com>:
> I've created AT_Translated_Set_2_keyboard.kl and
> AT_Translated_Set_2_keyboard.idc for laptop built-in keyboards. The attached
> zip file have the appropriate folder structure for extracting into
> device/generic/x86; simply extract the files there and the makefiles will
> copy them to the target image.
>
> Changes from Generic.kl to AT_Translated_Set_2_keyboard.kl are:
>
> Ummapped key 143 because it's the Fn key on many Lenovo laptops, not a power
> key, and there doesn't seem to be other laptops which does use 143 for power
> key.
> Mapped the menu key ("right click" key, usually between right Alt and right
> Ctrl) to the recent apps function instead of menu function. This way all 3
> on-screen soft keys have a hardware key counterpart: Esc for back, Windows
> key for home and menu key for recent apps.
>
> Please include them into Android-x86. Thanks!

Thank you for the proposal.
Adding recent apps key is a good idea.
Unmapping 143 is also probably ok.
But I prefer to change the Generic.kl so that
it affects not only the built-in keyboard but also
other usb keyboards.
I'll push the change.
Thanks a lot!

Rinaldo Jonathan

Jul 30, 2014, 6:30:02 AM7/30/14
to android-x86

This is probably a very stupid question, but where is menu key?

Vivi

Jul 30, 2014, 6:55:19 AM7/30/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Rinaldo Jonathan

Jul 30, 2014, 7:10:15 AM7/30/14
to android-x86

LOL. Thanks for the answer!

Finally, that button has a reason why it was made :D