libhoudini on Android 9 in a VirtualBox

David White

Dec 6, 2022, 2:03:35 PM12/6/22
to Android-x86
This is not really a question but I wanted to give some details of my results with this.

1. If you are on a 32-bit Android x86 - at least a recent one, just forget about it. I tried and tried. I could not find a modern implementation (presuming I need the X variant as shown here). And, of course, trying a 64 bit version got me nowhere.

2. On 64 bit (i686) Android x86, I downloaded the 8_y version shown here. I then renamed it to 9_y and copied it into /system/etc using root. Finally, using root, I executed /system/bin/ enable_nativebridge and this ended up creating libhoudini.so. I do not quite know but I may have had to fiddle permission on something somewhere. But ultimately it worked! I am not sure at all what using this does to the performance of Android x86. I presume it takes a significant impact. But it does appear to work!

Not easy but possible.