Android X86 on Toshiba Notebook

Irfan Junaid

Jul 17, 2016, 1:31:47 AM7/17/16
to Android-x86
Hi,

Just curious of using Android on my Netbook. Please share your views.

This my Netbook: Toshiba Satellite C50-B
http://laptop.toshiba-india.com/product/SatelliteC50-BP0010

I have upgraded the RAM to 8GB. Will Android-x86 detect all 8GB? Is it worth using as a main OS? My primary tasks are browsing, checking mail, Blogging and downloading lots torrents.

I was first looking at 4.4-r5 but also found 5.1 and 6.0 x86_x64. Now I am confused with which one to install.

Kindly advise on this.

Martin

Jul 17, 2016, 7:09:41 AM7/17/16
to Android-x86
Version with x64 kernel should detect all 8GB RAM.

4.4-r5 - the most stable image I've ever tried. But it missing few things, really necessary eg. for me.
5.1 - I've noticed problems with screen (Intel HD graphics) and sensors.
6.0.1 - No problems, everything is usable, stable. Sometimes drops WiFi connection, but I saw that it's fixed already. We have to wait until next stable release.
Myself-compiled builds don't have problems with wifi.

4.4, 5.1 sometimes has problems with USB storage.

Overall I prefer 6.0.1 x64 image. If you have problem with sound, wifi or even graphics... I can build special image for your netbook.

You can also try RemixOS - best alternative for any desktop OS. It's based on Android_x86, but till now has problems with stupid GRUB.

Irfan Junaid

Jul 17, 2016, 9:53:58 PM7/17/16
to Android-x86
Hi Martin!
Thanks much for your response. I will try the 6.0.1 image then and let you know the result. I don't want to use RemixOS  :-)