Android-x86 6.0 32bit on Asus N10j Atom N270, finally.

Josaphat Soekahar

Apr 4, 2019, 1:02:39 AM4/4/19
to Android-x86
Bored with me yet? Don't be.

I failed to run Android x86 6.0 vanilla live and installed on Asus N10J. I'm not asking for updates/bugfix or whatever.

But for those of you who wants a more recent Android on their old netbook, Remix OS 32 bit final release works very well with mine except the camera (which I don't use anyway).

Remix is based off Android-x86 and the development has been halted. But it's Android 6.0 and runs relativey smooth on this.

The main charm of remix is the launcher and desktop, which behaves like ordinary desktop PC OS.

So this old, crappy notebook got 4 OSes installed within it, Windows XP, Lubuntu 18.04, Android 4.4-x86 32 bit and Remix OS.

Also in my finding, it is possible to run Android-x86 within one partition alongside Linux, so there's no need to create a special partition for it, which both Android 4.4 and Remix OS configured in my netbook.

Just copy the files and set the root not to a partition, but to a folder within / (root). Mine are within /android-x86-4.4-r5 and /remixos

IMO this is a better way, since Lubuntu will mount and check the partition everytime it boot.

If you think about it. actually you can apply that to every other linux distributions out there.

Anyways I was just thinking would it be possible for Chih-Wei to just take over RemixOS entirely, or at least get the launcher and desktop code, along with other custom apps Jide created for Remix and probably integrate it to the vanilla Android-x86 development.

Jon West

Apr 4, 2019, 12:30:38 PM4/4/19
to Android-x86
Remix OS never released full sources, so it would be impossible for us to take the project over. Android-x86 relies on full sources being released with proper commit attribution. This is something seldom seen from companies like Jide & Phoenix.
Maybe if the planets were to align just right while Planet 9 is crossing behind the sun, then, and only then, will our chances be just right for Jide to just hand us that source with full commit history.

Josaphat Soekahar

Apr 4, 2019, 12:54:01 PM4/4/19
to Android-x86
They are, using android x86 as their base. Also remix os releases was announced on android-x86 website, so I figure you guys (or at least Chih-Wei) work closely with Jide back then. Know any person inside Jide or something like that?

A lot of companies used Android-x86 as their base. Memu, Nox, I figure Bliss also used Android-x86 for their base software. I just don't think it's quite fair that (I assume) none of this company do any upstream back to Android-x86.

Currently the taskbar launcher implementation in the vanilla Android-x86 is rather sloppy. IMO it is better to not include it at all.

A much more logical app to include is rotation control, set to forced landscape mode by default. Casual users will be familiar with the Android interface, but definitely not sideways portrait mode that can't be rotated back to landscape on regular PCs after they opening portrait mode apps..

Anyway back to ror Remix's launcher and desktop, at least when Mercury and Venus align and planet 9 was a little bit behind the sun?

Josaphat Soekahar
CGPixol Consultant Manager

Josaphat Soekahar

Apr 8, 2019, 12:32:46 PM4/8/19
to Android-x86
Eh I'm very very sorry for my ignorance.

I'm testing Android-x86 8 r1 on my main laptop using SDCard. My laptop is Lenovo Ideapad 700 I5ISK with i7, 12 GB of RAM and GTX 950M.

Everything feels very snappy and smooth. So with a good hardware, Android-x86 would be VERY ideal for casual users. Apart from the out-of-place mouse gestures (swipe and such).

And so rotation isn't an issue anymore lol. Taskbar launcher's solution is the same with the one implemented by RemixOS. And overall, everything is very stable, fast, smooth and very snappy!

Taskbar launcher isn't ideal to say the least, but it does it job very well nevertheless.

Harddrive/partitions undetected. Unlike Remix OS which treats the harddrives/partitions just like they do in Windows/Linux, this is another thing I like from Remix.

Other than those, what more could I ask for? Probably the same suggestion as I've said it before, ditch the 32 bit branch.

Again, thanks for the AWESOME project guys.