Re: Why is Wi-Fi disabled under VirtualBox in favor of 3g?

Message has been deleted

Mauro Rossi

Mar 25, 2019, 7:24:24 PM3/25/19
to Android-x86
Hi,
that symbol is for Ethernet connection it's not 3G symbol, Virtualbox provides NAT or bridged connection to host network interface.
Besides the aesthetics it works correctly and it works this way also Ubuntu running as a guest OS,
so I really don't see any problem.

Mauro

On Monday, March 25, 2019 at 10:29:17 PM UTC+1, Lior W. wrote:
When installed under VirtualBox, Android-x86 acts as if it has constant 3g connection.
Meanwhile, if you enable Wi-Fi it gets immediately turned off, as documented in https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/209434/why-cant-wi-fi-be-enabled-in-android-x86-inside-virtuabox

I don't really understand the logic of faking 3g instead of Wi-Fi.
For all intents and purposes the virtual machine/device can only get Internet connection via either Ethernet or Wi-Fi, as VirtualBox is a computer program, not a mobile app. Only computer hosts are meant to install VirtualBox.
This means any app you install inside Android-X86 will enjoy Ethernet/Wi-Fi connection. So why forcing the app to think otherwise?
The repercussion of the 3g approach is a complete inability to run any app that searches for Network devices (for example, Chromecast or iRobot Home) even though those devices are really on those networks.

enter image description here
Message has been deleted

techno kang

Mar 25, 2019, 8:54:40 PM3/25/19
to Android-x86

techno kang

Mar 25, 2019, 9:03:04 PM3/25/19
to Android-x86
What? Fake 3G? I which it has real 3G/4G support. The rationale is this. Android-x86 can make laptop as mobile as handphone, besides not being able to put it in your pocket. Having 3G/4G will give direct access to WAN. With Wifi, you have to go through a wlan, i.e., an extra hop.

Chih-Wei Huang

Mar 25, 2019, 10:52:07 PM3/25/19
to Android-x86
Lior W. <lwc...@gmail.com> 於 2019年3月26日 週二 上午5:29寫道:

> When installed under VirtualBox, Android-x86 acts as if it has constant 3g connection.
> Meanwhile, if you enable Wi-Fi it gets immediately turned off, as documented in https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/209434/why-cant-wi-fi-be-enabled-in-android-x86-inside-virtuabox
>
> I don't really understand the logic of faking 3g instead of Wi-Fi.
> For all intents and purposes the virtual machine/device can only get Internet connection via either Ethernet or Wi-Fi, as VirtualBox is a computer program, not a mobile app. Only computer hosts are meant to install VirtualBox.
> This means any app you install inside Android-X86 will enjoy Ethernet/Wi-Fi connection. So why forcing the app to think otherwise?
> The repercussion of the 3g approach is a complete inability to run any app that searches for Network devices (for example, Chromecast or iRobot Home) even though those devices are really on those networks.

Interesting you think it's a faking 3G.
We don't implement such a feature. It's Ethernet.

VirtualBox doesn't simulate a Wifi peripheral.
Why do you think you can turn on Wifi in VirtualBox?

The fact is, some (bad?) apps don't like Ethernet.
They only accept 3G or wifi connection.
If we have a fake 3G, there won't be an issue.

I agree it's a good feature if we can
fake 3G or wifi to make these apps happy.
Faking 3G is not that easy. Faking wifi is easier via the new
CONFIG_VIRT_WIFI option introduced in new kernel.
I'll put it to the todo list. But it's not high priority.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Chih-Wei Huang

Mar 26, 2019, 2:46:03 AM3/26/19
to Android-x86
Lior W. <lwc...@gmail.com> 於 2019年3月26日 週二 下午2:29寫道:

> Thanks!
>
> If it's Ethernet, is the name of SSID it's connected to visible somewhere?

What SSID? I don't know Ethernet has a SSID.

> More importantly, is it possible for apps too see other devices in that Ethernet, like Chromecast?

That question should go to the app developers.
I think nothing can stop it.