VMware + Androidx86 vga=ask missing resolutions

Marc Martínez Soler

Jan 11, 2018, 11:31:23 AM1/11/18
to Android-x86

I am mounting Android in a virtual machine to debug applications from an environment that I can control more easily.

I have a problem configuring full screen mode (1920x1080). In this image you can see that when I add the vga = ask command in the grub, I get many resolutions, but not the one I want.

How could I add more modes?

enter image description here

If I start from a live image (clarify that this is an installation) the option of fullHDx16 appears.

fguy

Jan 11, 2018, 12:22:56 PM1/11/18
to Android-x86

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 11, 2018, 9:35:03 PM1/11/18
to Android-x86
> I am mounting Android in a virtual machine to debug applications from an
> environment that I can control more easily.
>
> I have a problem configuring full screen mode (1920x1080). In this image you
> can see that when I add the vga = ask command in the grub, I get many
> resolutions, but not the one I want.
>
> How could I add more modes?

Have you tried the uvesafb? (usermode vesa driver)
Try to add this to kernel cmdline:

UVESA_MODE=1920x1080

(and remove any vga=xxx)

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Marc Martínez Soler

Jan 12, 2018, 12:39:30 PM1/12/18
to Android-x86
I do not understand how this link can help me.

Marc Martínez Soler

Jan 12, 2018, 12:41:10 PM1/12/18
to Android-x86
Yes, it's the first thing I found in my unsuccessful Google search.

But unfortunately it does not work. It does not return any error, but as much as the value varies it always charges at the same size.
Message has been deleted

fguy

Jan 12, 2018, 1:27:44 PM1/12/18
to Android-x86

I do not understand how this link can help me.

Marc Martínez Soler

Jan 12, 2018, 1:50:19 PM1/12/18
to Android-x86
Ok, buy by default it installs GRUB2, how I change to GRUB?

fguy

Jan 12, 2018, 2:13:01 PM1/12/18
to Android-x86
Ok, buy by default it installs GRUB2, how I change to GRUB?

reinstall android x86 with no efi bios in your virtual machine

Marc Martínez Soler

Jan 12, 2018, 2:14:57 PM1/12/18
to Android-x86
Ok, thanks.
I will try it now.

Marc Martínez Soler

Jan 12, 2018, 3:41:51 PM1/12/18
to Android-x86
Yeah,it works!

There is any type of VMware tools or something similar to get more performance?
 Thanks

fguy

Jan 13, 2018, 2:17:43 AM1/13/18
to Android-x86
There is any type of VMware tools or something similar to get more performance?

"VMware tools" does not exist for the android. The latest x86 android assemblies contain a graphics driver supporting 3D graphics acceleration for the virtual machine in vmware.

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 14, 2018, 9:53:33 PM1/14/18
to Android-x86
> Yeah,it works!
>
> There is any type of VMware tools or something similar to get more
> performance?
> Thanks

I forgot you said it's VMware.
For VMware you should not use vga or uvesa
which has no 3D acceleration.
Just enable 3D graphics via
Display -> Accelerate 3D graphics in your VM settings,
and then boot android-x86 normally (without vga=xxx).

To change resolution of VM, add the standard
kernel cmdline like video=1920x1080
(only supported since 7.1-rc2)

Marc Martínez Soler

Jan 15, 2018, 5:54:01 AM1/15/18
to Android-x86
wow!
Do you mean to do a normal installation, with efi, and that in the grub add only video = 1920x1080 and it is already?