Kernel 3.18 rc6 - Android-x86

pstglia

Nov 30, 2014, 7:34:23 PM11/30/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

I was testing kernel 3.18 rc6 this weekend. As I was just playing (as always), I've tried a very simple change on kernel to allow booting on Android-x86. For my surprise, a single line added on drivers/gpu/drm/drm_ioctl.c was enough to do it (see commit 5a9ed9fdf6392a4a0ee0de746c6a41f233f89a08 on github [1])

Of course we can have lots of bugs and crashes due the lack of all other Android specific changes. However, I could download some apps from play store and they were executed just fine (Wifi Analyzer, Antutu Benchmark, Mussoumano Game, Metal Slug & Candy crush Soda).

I also added some other features ( goodix touchscreen and rtl8723as drivers from hadess and enabled b43 driver). I'd add hadess accelerometer sensor driver, but couldn't due dependencies...
Don't know if they will work - Don't have such hardware to test.

[1] In case someone is interested, here's the github address with this changes:

[2] Also, I've created an iso file using this kernel, Kitkat 4.4, mesa 9.2.0 with classic drivers enabled:

**** As usual, TRY IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. May cause HARDWARE DAMAGE and/or DATA LOSS ***

Regards,
pstglia

Chih-Wei Huang

Nov 30, 2014, 10:41:00 PM11/30/14
to Android-x86
Thank you for the effort to test it.
Very interesting.
Seems the Android kernel mainlining project
has made real good progress.
> --

Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org

Eric S.

Dec 1, 2014, 4:14:45 AM12/1/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi pstglia,

thanks for sharing! I am currently building my own image with the goodix drivers activated. Will post my progress later on here.

Eric S.

Dec 1, 2014, 8:42:55 AM12/1/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello pstglia,

it's me again. I'm getting some unexpected Java errors in compiling the image, i think it's caused by my ubuntu environment with Java 1.7 and stops compiling after 4 hours.. Can you help me with just compiling the kernel with your goodix touch additions and post the kernel file here so i can replace it on my live usb system?

This would be awesome!

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Eric

André Vitor

Dec 1, 2014, 3:51:07 PM12/1/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi pstglia,

Thanks for sharing, this is helping me a lot, now my processor is recognized correctly and my installed android seems to be working better than before although is still slow.

With this kernel I got (on Android 4.4):

What work:
* Graphic (OpenGL ES2/ES3)
* Touch
* Wifi
* Audio
* Battery
* Reboot/shutdown
* MicroSD
* Internal Mic
* Volume buttons
* Sleep/resume. (Standby)
* Backlight

Not work:
* Bluetooth (Firmware not loading, error -2)
* Sensors
* Camera
* Sleep/resume. (Power button)

Bugs:
* Annoying Google Keyboard stop working.

--
André Vitor
EL TOROCK

André Vitor

Dec 1, 2014, 4:25:49 PM12/1/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Actually I did a early wake up, realized this after looking dmesg.

* Sleep/Resume is not working.

pstglia

Dec 1, 2014, 6:31:08 PM12/1/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

it's me again. I'm getting some unexpected Java errors in compiling the image, i think it's caused by my ubuntu environment with Java 1.7 and stops compiling after 4 hours.. Can you help me with just compiling the kernel with your goodix touch additions and post the kernel file here so i can replace it on my live usb system?

If you are compiling Kitkat or an earlier version, I'll need JDK 6 (preferable Oracle release). If building Lollipop, use OpenJDK 7 (I tried Oracle JDK 7, and had problems).

About kernel img and drivers, you can extract from any available iso (the one I posted here has goodix, for example). To do this, you can:

1) Download the iso you want to extract kernel img and drivers;
2) create a dir and mount iso on it:
Ex:
mkdir mount1
sudo mount android_x86.iso mount1 -o loop

3) Inside the mounted dir I'll have the kernel img, initrd, ramdisk. You can copy them to your img
There's also system.sfs, the /system img file, which you can also mount

mkdir mount2
sudo mount mount1/system.sfs mount2 -o loop

4) Inside mount2 I'll have a file named system.img, which you can also mount
mkdir mount3
sudo mount mount2/system.img mount3 -o loop

Here you can get lib/modules (kernel drivers) and lib/firmware (firmware files required for some devices)

Note: Not sure if just copying kernel img + modules will work. Some apps are "linked" with kernel during compiling.
The best practice is compiling your own kernel

Regards,
Pstglia

Eric S.

Dec 4, 2014, 7:32:45 AM12/4/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi pstglia,

thanks for your reply. I will try it again!
I tested your image, it works very smooth on my tablet. The goodix driver do not work because you compiled it not as a i2c interface as far as i can see. The source files from Bastien Nocera could be compiled with a patch to support the i2c touchscreen version which is found in a lot of these new windows 8.1 tablets. Here is another patch file: https://www.mail-archive.com/linux...@vger.kernel.org/msg12796.html
i am trying hard to learn this, but the compiling and patching progress seems to be very hard because i get a lot of errors i do not quiet understand...

I will post any updates here. Thanks for you massive work!

Regards,

Eric

Francesco Diaz

Dec 5, 2014, 4:13:38 PM12/5/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
why new kernel and very very old mesa :(?

pstglia

Dec 5, 2014, 6:18:25 PM12/5/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

why new kernel and very very old mesa :(?

The main reason is classic drivers (still required for Intel proper use) are not working correctly on newer Mesa implementations. But a build with newer Mesa versions can be done, as we did before:

And of course, you can also compile a new kernel and Mesa

Zeeshan Ahmed P

Dec 10, 2014, 3:27:02 AM12/10/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Did U get the above linked build working on DVP8 ?
What steps do I take to do it on mine ?
Thanks in advance
and thanks to pstglia for the build and progress

On Thursday, December 4, 2014 6:02:45 PM UTC+5:30, Eric S. wrote:
Hi pstglia,

thanks for your reply. I will try it again!
I tested your image, it works very smooth on my tablet. The goodix driver do not work because you compiled it not as a i2c interface as far as i can see. The source files from Bastien Nocera could be compiled with a patch to support the i2c touchscreen version which is found in a lot of these new windows 8.1 tablets. Here is another patch file: https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-input@vger.kernel.org/msg12796.html

dieter heidelberg

Dec 10, 2014, 10:37:28 AM12/10/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I don't think it will work on the Dell Venue 8 Pro. It won't boot because of 32bit EFI.

Eric S.

Dec 10, 2014, 10:44:19 AM12/10/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
It Boots in 32 but Efi Bios if you take The Efi folder of the t100 x86 Image. Mayer You habe to edit the .cfg but it Booted at my 32bit Efi china Tablet.

pstglia

Dec 12, 2014, 5:20:20 AM12/12/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi again Eric,

I tested your image, it works very smooth on my tablet. The goodix driver do not work because you compiled it not as a i2c interface as far as i can see. The source files from Bastien Nocera could be compiled with a patch to support the i2c touchscreen version which is found in a lot of these new windows 8.1 tablets. Here is another patch file: https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-input@vger.kernel.org/msg12796.html
i am trying hard to learn this, but the compiling and patching progress seems to be very hard because i get a lot of errors i do not quiet understand...

I've compared the patch files from the link you posted against the one I applied on github. They are the basically the same, except for 2 diffs:

1) This patch forces on Kconfig forces the user to select I2C and ACPI kernel options. This just assures there won't be building errors due the lack of required features.
In 3.18rc6 github, both ACPI and I2C are enabled.

2) I've changed a path from one of the include files (unaligned.h, from asm to asm-generic) don't ask me why. Maybe this is the cause the driver do not work:

#include <asm/unaligned.h>                                    | #include <asm-generic/unaligned.h>

I will update this on github...

Mashnoon Ibtesum

Dec 12, 2014, 10:35:27 PM12/12/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
My sound isnt working after reboot. Any idea?

Su Thanh

Dec 16, 2014, 2:25:41 AM12/16/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
This version runs fine, but no sound and the game did not touch a game plant vs zombine, farmville 2 ......

Vào 07:34:23 UTC+7 Thứ hai, ngày 01 tháng mười hai năm 2014, pstglia đã viết: