Android x86 6.0 Marshmallow and Dell Venue 11 Pro issue.

Nicofrommtp

Mar 31, 2016, 11:34:14 AM3/31/16
to Android-x86
Hi,

After a long wait, finally a working Android X86 is available for Venue 11 Pro tablet with full HD screen (1920x1080) :) .
Major features are working fine but one issue is present, let me explain.
Marshmallow has an issue with S3 suspend mode on Dell Venue 11 pro (7130, Core i5).
When the OS go into standby mode, the screen is flashing (background, black screen, background,...) it's possible to waking up the tablet by pressing power button, OS wake up fine but wifi is not in good condition to work.
(Wifi is ok by adding the iwlwifi firmware into /lib/firmware and works very fine).
DMESG showing many errors when the OS try to waking up the system, MCE, Wifi card refuse to wake).
The same OS is not working with the same issue on another Dell System with a very close configuration (Latitude 7250, Core i5).
I think one thing into the VENUE 11 or 7250 is not well managed.
I'm able to perform all tests you need, i have the hardware and time, if you want some log just to ask me.
Thank you for your very good job :)

PS : problem is present in 32 or 64bit release.

Nicofrommtp

Mar 31, 2016, 5:15:11 PM3/31/16
to Android-x86
Sorry i made a mistake on the original message. :(
WIFI is working fine on Latitude E7250 even when the system go into standby mode.
Wifi is up and working fine after wake up
Flashing screen is still present when the system is in standby mode.

On the venue 11 pro i have this error message (on DMESG) just before some CPU debug informations

"timeout waiting for hardware access (csr_gp_cntrl 0xffffffff)"

Chih-Wei Huang

Apr 1, 2016, 8:07:24 AM4/1/16
to Android-x86
> Sorry i made a mistake on the original message. :(
> WIFI is working fine on Latitude E7250 even when the system go into standby
> mode.
> Wifi is up and working fine after wake up
> Flashing screen is still present when the system is in standby mode.

Sounds like a known issue.
Basically speaking, the porting of suspend/resume
is not complete in marshmallow-x86.
You may wait the next release to see if it's better.
Or provide the dmesg for debugging.
Thanks.

> On the venue 11 pro i have this error message (on DMESG) just before some
> CPU debug informations
>
> "timeout waiting for hardware access (csr_gp_cntrl 0xffffffff)"

Could you report the issue to bugzilla.kernel.org

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Nicofrommtp

Apr 1, 2016, 10:27:31 AM4/1/16
to Android-x86
Thank you for your answer :)

Attached Dmesg log file with all the details about the issue.

I will report the issue to bugzilla.kernel.org.
dmesg.odt

Jianlong Liu

Apr 1, 2016, 10:31:54 PM4/1/16
to Android-x86
Known issue on Linux, basically not fixable. Only workaround is to remove device before suspend (works in Arch), but doesn't work here (I've tried). Alternate solution is to use freeze rather than mem.

dgdn

Apr 2, 2016, 2:10:24 AM4/2/16
to Android-x86
did you report it to the builder of the iso your running?????

does the android-x86.org build experience the same issue????

Nicofrommtp

Apr 2, 2016, 5:01:19 PM4/2/16
to Android-x86
I'm using Exton just becauce GAPPS are present in the ISO image file.

I tried with the versions listed below :
Remix OS
Ubuntu live CD (15.10)
Marshamallow version directly downloaded from Android-X86

Every distribution has reproduced exactly the same bug, wifi card cannot be wake up after suspend.

Nicofrommtp

Apr 2, 2016, 5:12:25 PM4/2/16
to Android-x86
A workaround is available in ARCH, i have found this thread on the internet but can not be used on android :(

What did you mean in freeze rather than mem ? (change suspend mode from S3 to another ?)

My workaround is to disable S3 mode in system BIOS, works fine, screen is powered off (only backlight) but the battery discharges quickly because the system is still up and running.

Nicofrommtp

Apr 2, 2016, 5:31:39 PM4/2/16
to Android-x86
For information : if the WIFI is disabled  in Android (settings/wifi/disable) before the system go into suspend mode, after the wake up the wifi is working (setting/wifi/enable).

Maybe a script can be writted to disable wifi instead of fall the card to S3 mode before suspend.

Nicofrommtp

Apr 4, 2016, 6:38:14 AM4/4/16
to Android-x86
Ok, Issue with Wifi is fixed :) :) :)

After few search on file parameters for IWLWIFI i have found file named "wakeup" settings is "disabled" just replace by "enabled' and now the card allow to resume from D3 mode :)
The card is disabled when the system ran into Suspend mode and enabled on wakeup.
no more error message like "timeout waiting for hardware access (csr_gp_cntrl 0xffffffff)" present on DMESG

This file is in /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:0x:xx.0/power

you need to identify your wifi device ID in order to replace x by the correct value.

Nicofrommtp

Apr 4, 2016, 9:36:02 AM4/4/16
to Android-x86
wakeup file is dynamic and created @ each reboot/restart and the value return to "disabled"

If you add line like : echo "enabled" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:0x\:xx.x/power/wakeup

The value is overwrite to enabled :)

Nicofrommtp

Apr 4, 2016, 11:07:40 AM4/4/16
to Android-x86
Le lundi 4 avril 2016 15:36:02 UTC+2, Nicofrommtp a écrit :
wakeup file is dynamic and created @ each reboot/restart and the value return to "disabled"

If you add line like : echo "enabled" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:0x\:xx.x/power/wakeup

to init.sh in /etc (juste before the last line "return 0"

Jianlong Liu

Apr 4, 2016, 7:23:27 PM4/4/16
to Android-x86
Wow, didn't expect this to actually fix it. Been testing this in Arch for the whole day, and it's working fine, thanks!

吴静发

Feb 13, 2017, 8:33:31 PM2/13/17
to Android-x86
Hi,
I I was confused by ‘Wifi is ok by adding the iwlwifi firmware into /lib/firmware’.I do not know how specific steps are going.So now I face the wifi problem.I ask for help from you.Thanks in advance

在 2016年3月31日星期四 UTC+8下午11:34:14,Nicofrommtp写道: