Android X86 on M.2 drive

Prahsper

Dec 9, 2020, 5:46:15 PM12/9/20
to Android-x86

Hey guys,
I have a Lenovo Yoga C940 2n1 laptop. It only has an M.2 drive for storage. I have been trying to get the latest Android X86 on this laptop to dual boot with Win10. I used the Rufus to USB method
. However, I keep getting a message like "kernel missing' of some sort when loading
 to install. It won't even work if I try to use Android X86 off the USB. Is this a situation where this is not compatible with M.2 drives or is there something else I am supposed to do that I am missing? Thnx

Android-x86

Dec 9, 2020, 7:46:33 PM12/9/20
to Android-x86
Hi,

If your device has Nvidia GTX 1650 do you have an option to disable it in the BIOS?
Does the VESA option allow to boot in Live Mode?

Could you use an additional formatted ext4 USB drive connected via USB to collect /data/log.txt
using 'DATA=/dev/block/sd[?]1' kernel cmdline (without ' ')
[?] you may find which letter [?] is by plugging such ext4 formatted USB drive in the early stage of Debug boot menu option

As usual, logs are essential to be able to triage your problem

Mauro
Message has been deleted

Prahsper

Dec 10, 2020, 2:31:48 AM12/10/20
to Android-x86
I'm sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about.
All I know is, I make the USB, insert it, boot from it, chose install to disk (Partition made for this install) and I get this message right away before anything
(error: no such device: //android/kernel)

These are the specs of my laptop:

10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 Processor (1.30 GHz, up to 3.90 GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 8 MB Cache)
Windows 10 Home 64
14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, touchscreen, glossy, 400 nits
12 GB LPDDR4X 3733MHz
256 GB PCIe SSD
Integrated Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics

crw

Dec 10, 2020, 6:29:25 AM12/10/20
to Android-x86
I know people who have 10th generation processors, most 10th generation processors don't work with Android x86 because android x86 uses an old kernel 4.19
You will have to compile android os image with a newer kernel

Prahsper

Dec 10, 2020, 12:08:02 PM12/10/20
to Android-x86
OK. Any idea how I can do that?

Mauro Rossi

Dec 11, 2020, 3:30:38 AM12/11/20
to Android-x86
Hi,
would you like to try experimental iso with kernel-5.8 and mesa 21.0.0-devel branch?

I'm not sure it will work, because I do not remember if gallium iris is required, just try with Live Boot for now
Mauro

Huy Minh Bui

Dec 11, 2020, 3:46:47 AM12/11/20
to Android-x86
Intel 10th Gen can boot easily with Kernel 5.4 + Mesa 20.x already without any problem
But since this is a Yoga, I wanna see if other hardware (touchscreen, wifi,etc) work

Vào lúc 15:30:38 UTC+7 ngày Thứ Sáu, 11 tháng 12, 2020, issor...@gmail.com đã viết:

Prahsper

Dec 11, 2020, 10:27:56 AM12/11/20
to Android-x86
OK...will give these 2 a shot and get back to you to let you know what's what. Thnx

Prahsper

Dec 11, 2020, 11:32:01 AM12/11/20
to Android-x86
OK....I tried the following with Kernel 5.4:
No installation-Live only
Rufus
GPT partition scheme for UEFI= blank screen nothing happened.
MBR partition scheme for Bios and UEFI= blank screen nothing happened.

Kernel 5.8
Live went thru but gave this message upon completion:
(There's an internal problem with your device. Contact your manufacturer for details.)

Live completed and everything seems to be working well including wifi. Only features that do not work is the touchscreen and the lighted keyboard.

Prahsper

Dec 12, 2020, 1:09:23 AM12/12/20
to Android-x86
CORRECTION:
My mistake. I used the wrong Kernel 5.4. I was using the 86 instead of the 86-64 version. So:
The 5.4 X86_64 version works great so far. Still gave me this message   (There's an internal problem with your device. Contact your manufacturer for details.)
Everything working including wifi and touchscreen while going LIVE. Even the pen for this 2n1 works. Still no lighted keyboard tho. But that's cool I guess.
Next I will do a full installation on a separate partition and dual boot it with Win10.

Kernel 5.8
Live went thru but gave this message upon completion:
(There's an internal problem with your device. Contact your manufacturer for details.)

Live completed and everything seems to be working well including wifi. Only features that do not work with kernel 5.8 is the touchscreen and the lighted keyboard.

Prahsper

Dec 12, 2020, 5:28:12 AM12/12/20
to Android-x86
Nope! Neither would install. Just gave me a blank screen with nothing happening. Seems to only produce anything when using LIVE mode only.
Or is there a special way to do the full installation that I am missing?

crw

Dec 12, 2020, 11:40:21 AM12/12/20
to Android-x86

I'd suggest you try installing android x86 from windows
Bliss os 12/11 has a windows installer (open the iso file with 7 zip)
Bliss os 12 has kernel 5.8 and bliss os 11 has old kernel 4.19

Prahsper

Dec 12, 2020, 3:27:23 PM12/12/20
to Android-x86
I tried installing Bliss OS 12 along side WIN10 and it failed. Here is the following logs created:

Installer Directory:C:\Users\Prahsper\AppData\Local\Temp\7zS351F.tmp
Installer Version:2.8.5200.0
Secure Boot ... Disabled
Manufacturer: LENOVO
Model: 81Q9
Product: LNVNB161216
BIOS info:
LENOVO - 1
AUCN57WW
INSYDE Corp. - 1570000
Available GPU(s):
GPU: Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics
=============[REQUIREMENTS CHECK]============
Administrator privilege ... ok
CPU Architecture: 9
CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz
OSVer: Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19041.0
OperatingSystem Version ... ok
Windows Security: Access NVRAM Privilege ... Not All Set
System Firmware: UEFI
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________--

Installer Directory:C:\Users\Prahsper\AppData\Local\Temp\7zSBEAF.tmp
Installer Version:2.8.5200.0
Secure Boot ... Disabled
Manufacturer: LENOVO
Model: 81Q9
Product: LNVNB161216
BIOS info:
LENOVO - 1
AUCN57WW
INSYDE Corp. - 1570000
Available GPU(s):
GPU: Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics
=============[REQUIREMENTS CHECK]============
Administrator privilege ... ok
CPU Architecture: 9
CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz
OSVer: Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19041.0
OperatingSystem Version ... ok
Windows Security: Access NVRAM Privilege ... Not All Set
System Firmware: UEFI
====Install Started on 12/12/2020 8:19:21 PM====
-ISO File: C:\Users\Prahsper\Desktop\New folder\initrd.img
-TargetDrive: D
-UserData: 194447933
-Setup Directories...
-Folder Created: D:\AndroidOS
-Extracting ISO
#Launch:C:\Users\Prahsper\AppData\Local\Temp\7zSBEAF.tmp\7z.exe x "C:\Users\Prahsper\Desktop\New folder\initrd.img" "kernel" "gearlock" "initrd.img" "system.*" -oD:\AndroidOS
#Launch:C:\Users\Prahsper\AppData\Local\Temp\7zSBEAF.tmp\7z.exe e "C:\Users\Prahsper\Desktop\New folder\initrd.img" "boot\grub\grub.cfg" -oD:\AndroidOS
==============Revert Installation==============
-Cleaning up Bliss Directory ... D:\AndroidOS
===Removing Boot Objects===
-Mounting EFI Partition...
#Launch:C:\Windows\System32\mountvol.exe Z: /S
-Remove Android UEFI Entry
-UEFI: -1
-Cleaning up Bliss Directory ... Z:\EFI\boot\
-UnMounting EFI Partition...
#Launch:C:\Windows\System32\mountvol.exe Z: /D
====Install Started on 12/12/2020 8:20:20 PM====
-ISO File: C:\Users\Prahsper\Desktop\New folder\install.img
-TargetDrive: D
-UserData: 194447933
-Setup Directories...
-Folder Created: D:\AndroidOS
-Extracting ISO
#Launch:C:\Users\Prahsper\AppData\Local\Temp\7zSBEAF.tmp\7z.exe x "C:\Users\Prahsper\Desktop\New folder\install.img" "kernel" "gearlock" "initrd.img" "system.*" -oD:\AndroidOS
#Launch:C:\Users\Prahsper\AppData\Local\Temp\7zSBEAF.tmp\7z.exe e "C:\Users\Prahsper\Desktop\New folder\install.img" "boot\grub\grub.cfg" -oD:\AndroidOS
==============Revert Installation==============
-Cleaning up Bliss Directory ... D:\AndroidOS
===Removing Boot Objects===
-Mounting EFI Partition...
#Launch:C:\Windows\System32\mountvol.exe Z: /S
-Remove Android UEFI Entry
-UEFI: -1
-Cleaning up Bliss Directory ... Z:\EFI\boot\
-UnMounting EFI Partition...
#Launch:C:\Windows\System32\mountvol.exe Z: /D
====Uninstall Started on 12/12/2020 8:21:47 PM====
Android Installation Not Found
====Install Started on 12/12/2020 8:22:00 PM====
[...]
What do I need to do now? Thanks

Prahsper

Dec 12, 2020, 11:07:14 PM12/12/20
to Android-x86
I went back to trying Android X 86 kernel 5.4, only this time in Rufus I used NTFS /UEFI(non-csm) instead of Fat32. It managed to do a little more this way as far as starting to install but stopped at the following message:
( GNU GRUB version 2.02
Minimal BASH like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions
grub>_)

Anyone know what this is about?

crw

Dec 12, 2020, 11:48:01 PM12/12/20
to Android-x86
You can also install manually from windows
first create ntfs partition on your harddrive
take initrd.img system.sfs ramdisk.img and kernel from the iso and extract to that partition
create data.img with win32 disk imager or rmxtools, to store user data.
create a new file called 'findme' without any extension
and mount your uefi partition, extract "efi" and "boot" folders from the iso and place in your uefi partition
If you dont know how to access efi partition, search google how to access efi partition
Then create an boot entry with something like easyUEFI, select /efi/boot/grubx64.efi
There is also another installer which will do everything automatically and has alternate grub, but it comes with some bloatware.
download that installer from their website (needs register/login) Advanced Android-x86 Installer For Windows  or from MEGA (direct link, no register needed)

crw

Dec 13, 2020, 2:49:13 AM12/13/20
to Android-x86
If only live mode works, then create a data.img in the usb drive drive so data is persistent through out boots.

Prahsper

Dec 14, 2020, 9:55:59 AM12/14/20
to Android-x86
Finally-Success!!!!
It took a few tries to get it right, but it all worked out.
I used the Advanced Android Installer to install Bliss OS on a separate partition. Great.
Now I tried the Android X86_64 kernel 5.4 over Bliss and that went thru perfectly. Everything is working fine. Wifi, touchscreen, pen and lighted keyboard. I'm all set now with getting Android on this particular laptop.

But before I thank you guys for all your help, there is one small thing left.
When booting, there is only an option to boot into Android. No dual boot for Windows and Android. In Grub2Win, which was installed with the whole setup, how can I add Windows to the boot menu?