Re: Mesa 10.4.0 + intel Classic drivers (+radeon)

Christopher Price

Jan 23, 2015, 4:10:50 AM1/23/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, quick correction, both PowerVR and the Intel GMA 3150 (which is Intel on Pineview) are not supported by Android under Mesa. Mesa does support Pineview (and other 3rd Gen Intel GPUs) but they are no longer supported under Android.

/annoyingoldgpuhistory

Christopher Price
ConsoleOS.com

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 6:09 PM, Christopher Price <ch...@christopherprice.net> wrote:
Pineview is not supported by Mesa as it has a PowerVR GPU. While Mesa is looking to support PowerVR, it's just not there yet and will likely skip Intel-integrated PowerVR GPUs.

I do recall a Pineview driver in one of the older Intel BSPs, but support for that was abandoned long ago, even Intel private drivers for Atom N450, etc won't work with modern Android versions. In fact, I suspect the SGX53x line would run too poorly to be worth the effort under Lollipop.

However, the GL_INVALID_ENUM indicates that the Mesa driver isn't binding to Intel GPUs. I was getting that same error when I tested a stock Lollipop repo-based build that I did a night or two ago. So, I think Mesa 10.4 builds aren't locking onto the Intel GPU.

I have requested a sitrep on Intel support for Mesa under Lollipop Android kernels. It was supported under KitKat, even after Android-IA switched to UFO prebuilds. I'm waiting to hear back and will share once I do. We obviously at Team Console want to see that happen.

Christopher Price

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 2:02 PM, Mauro Rossi <issor...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi meerio,

thanks, from the snapshot is possible to see the error is 0x500 (GL_INVALID_ENUM).

I get the same error on ITX board Jetway NF96FL-525-LF with Intel Pineview chipset.

If you want to practice with logs you can find here a compact procedure:
Mauro

Il giorno giovedì 22 gennaio 2015 19:37:21 UTC+1, Meerio ha scritto:
sorry pstiglia but i'm very noob :(
how can i attach the file here if the system doesn't boot? ( do i have to mount manually an usb key and use cp? i don't know how but i'm willing to learn)
in the mean time i attach a screenshoot of the command you gave me

Il giorno giovedì 22 gennaio 2015 10:55:31 UTC+1, pstglia ha scritto:
If possible, anyone could test this img on hw with Intel based GPUs?

If it doesn't work, please provide logcat file (/data/log.txt if booting under debug mode).

If the entire file can't be attached, at least this output:

cd /data/
grep -iE "mesa|0x50" log.txt | tail -40

Thanks in advance
Pstglia

Meerio

Jan 23, 2015, 8:10:19 AM1/23/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
regarding gma 3150 support,i hope you are talking about newer version of mesa, as with 9.2 I've no problems..

rbg

Jan 23, 2015, 11:20:27 AM1/23/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
>Pineview is not supported by Mesa as it has a PowerVR GPU

please stop the fud....we've been down that road before in this forum...

PowerVR GPU is not supported as Intel has never released the drivers to open source....

my Pineview family Atom n455 works fine on all versions of android-x86 including Lollipop....

take it elsewhere please

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 23, 2015, 11:28:20 AM1/23/15
to Android-x86
Pineview does not use PowerVR GPU.
Of course Mesa supports Pineview, though
it's buggy on android.
The mesa-9.2 porting of kitkat-x86 has fixes
but not in upstream yet.

I'm working with Mesa upstream to fix it.

Ravid Maduni

Jan 23, 2015, 12:12:59 PM1/23/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

there is an iso with gapps included?
בתאריך יום שלישי, 20 בינואר 2015 בשעה 04:41:45 UTC+2, מאת pstglia:
Hi friends,

After some efforts, Emil Velikov, Mauro Rossi and me finally got intel classic drivers working on Mesa 10.4.0 under Android-x86

Some changes/hacks were necessary in order to make it work (put the worst and the buggy ones on my account :D ). One of them was crucial to enable display: disabling a check on src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/intel_tex_image.c that forced a GL_INVALID_OPERATION (retcode 0x502) on every attempt to map a image/texture to display on screen (see commit 23291b05ca7885047eb908cf3e19746ee43d00db). As this check doesn't exists on 9.2.0 (The current version used by Android-x86) I thought we can live without it while someone provides the correct solution (maybe some dependency).

To compile this, You'll have to replace/change 2 components and include a new one (in fact is not new - libpciaccess):

1) external/mesa (remove 9.2.0 and use the one on link bellow):

2) external/drm (revert commit "android: intel: disable drm_intel_get_aperture_sizes" - this is required for this build)

3) You'll need libpciaccess, that is available on android-ia:

If everything goes as expected, You'll have a build with mesa 10.4 to play around, support new hardware, discover new bugs... :)

Here's a testing ISO in case anyone wants it (tested on a IvyBridge core i5 - worked for basic functions, Antutu & Candy Crush Soda):

As usual, try it at your own risk, this is serious. You can lose data and even your hardware due potential bugs that may be included with these changes...

Thanks:
Chih-Wei Huang for Android-x86 project.
Mauro Rossi and Emil Velikov for their changes on Mesa code (many pushed upstream)
AMD A10 5800K for compiling all this stuff for me :)
And everyone else who likes and support this open source project

Christopher Price

Jan 24, 2015, 1:46:01 PM1/24/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Here's an expanded breakout based on my last brief from Intel (all this info is public - this is merely a summary for easier understanding):

* Prior to Gen6 (Sandy Bridge): No longer supported under Android

* PowerVR-based GPUs on Intel: No plans to support in Mesa by Intel - Closed-source Android drivers are supported to KitKat on Clover Trail, Merrifield/Mooresfield for Lollipop (I do not know about Clover on Lollipop, haven't asked really).

* Gen6 (Sandy Bridge): Unofficial support, Sandy Bridge never left alpha on Android, commits will still be taken and fostered by Intel's Freedesktop.org team though as of last word to me.

* Gen7+ (Ivy Bridge/Bay Trail/Haswell): Codebase will be maintained for Android KitKat under Mesa - UFO now default for Android-IA as of 4.4.2

Like I said, I'm waiting to hear back from Intel on what their plans are for Mesa support in Lollipop - but as of my last briefing it was to be supported on Android-IA (and thus should drop-in on Android-x86.org too).

Christopher Price

Alcimar Orcheski

Jul 14, 2015, 3:32:12 AM7/14/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
maybe work with ge force 8400gs?

pstglia

Jan 19, 2015, 9:41:45 PM1/19/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Meerio

Jan 20, 2015, 3:21:45 AM1/20/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I know this is not a technical question, but are there any advantages in using mesa 10.4 over 9.2 on an already supported hw( like my gma 3150)? i'll do my test, even i'm not shure if the benchmarks are the proper tool to test this kind of changes!

Meerio

Jan 20, 2015, 3:35:08 AM1/20/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
ok, my apologies, it seems that mesa 10.4 can't even boot my netbook, probably due to my gpu

pstglia

Jan 20, 2015, 6:04:35 AM1/20/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Meerio,

Em terça-feira, 20 de janeiro de 2015 06:21:45 UTC-2, Meerio escreveu:
I know this is not a technical question, but are there any advantages in using mesa 10.4 over 9.2 on an already supported hw( like my gma 3150)? i'll do my test, even i'm not shure if the benchmarks are the proper tool to test this kind of changes!

Mesa releases usually have newer OpenGL /OpenGL ES instructions implemented. This means something that wasn't supported on a previous release could be supported on a newer one. Also, they always release bug fixes.

pstglia

Jan 20, 2015, 6:06:43 AM1/20/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

ok, my apologies, it seems that mesa 10.4 can't even boot my netbook, probably due to my gpu

Can you see some error msg on dmesg/logcat that you don't have on 9.2.0? Can you attach it here?

Thanks,
pstglia

Christopher Price

Jan 20, 2015, 7:52:14 AM1/20/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Very nice work. This should help with GCN cores substantially.

Christopher Price

rbg

Jan 20, 2015, 9:33:39 AM1/20/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
though I know Chih-Wei has done a good job at trying to keep kitkat and lollipop branches in sync......

I still would like some clarification....

are these changes valid for both branches???

running on which kernel????

I think 4.4 is up to kernel 3.18.? and 5.0 is still at 3.10.58

I have been testing some stuff with 3.18.3...........

so before I try this would like to know...

thanks for all your hard work..........!!!!!!!!!!!

pstglia

Jan 20, 2015, 11:29:28 AM1/20/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi, in my tests a used kitkat src with kernel 3.18 (basically Android-x86 git). It probably runs on Lollipop, just have to test it.

The only reason I see that couldn't run is a newer libdrm version submiting ioctl calls not implemented on kernerl 3.10.x
However, we are still on 2.4.58 today, so I think it should run.

pstglia

Jan 20, 2015, 8:00:34 PM1/20/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Better hold on for now: Some gpu's are not working

Will update here when I have an update

Invincible

Jan 21, 2015, 2:36:32 AM1/21/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for sharing the ISO image for android_4.4. Could someone please share the source or iso for android-Lollipop with the same set-up/steps for enabling the same in androidL-x86 source code.

Thank you in advance
Diego

pstglia

Jan 22, 2015, 4:55:31 AM1/22/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

hashirt

Jan 22, 2015, 11:03:11 AM1/22/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I tested it on my old desktop.

Graphics: intel g33/g31 express chipset family - onboard

Debug mode entry in menu.lst:
kernel /android-2015-01-21/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=android_x86 DEBUG=2 SRC=/android-2015-01-21
initrd /android-2015-01-21/initrd.img

I hit a blank screen, rebooted via tty after ~5 minutes of waiting.

attaching: android-2015-01-21/data/log.txt

22 Ocak 2015 Perşembe 11:55:31 UTC+2 tarihinde pstglia yazdı:
log.txt

Meerio

Jan 22, 2015, 1:37:21 PM1/22/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
sorry pstiglia but i'm very noob :(
how can i attach the file here if the system doesn't boot? ( do i have to mount manually an usb key and use cp? i don't know how but i'm willing to learn)
in the mean time i attach a screenshoot of the command you gave me

Il giorno giovedì 22 gennaio 2015 10:55:31 UTC+1, pstglia ha scritto:
IMG_20150122_192107.jpg

Miker1029

Jan 22, 2015, 2:15:18 PM1/22/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Worked On My System With LIVE, Working out my grub issues, Will Let you know on Full install....

Mike
DxDiag.txt

Miker1029

Jan 22, 2015, 3:08:01 PM1/22/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Ok Tested, Any Particular App You want me to try, My Frame Rate Stunk, But did just as good as Nascar Racing by Papyrus... Crap GRFX Card...

Mike
Android - X86 Forums

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 3:55:31 AM UTC-6, pstglia wrote:
Screenshot_2015-01-22-13-43-12.png
Screenshot_2015-01-22-13-57-21.png
Screenshot_2015-01-22-13-57-51.png
Screenshot_2015-01-22-13-58-41.png

Mauro Rossi

Jocky Wilson

Jan 22, 2015, 5:42:44 PM1/22/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi, works on my baytrail tablets (Voyo A1 mini and Lenovo Thinkpad8)

Cheers,
JockyW

rbg

Jan 22, 2015, 7:58:56 PM1/22/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
- 2 systems have enet, 2 systems have wifi

- VPAD10 was only system with issues...only worked with VESA MODE

others tested ok, also showed video from espn.com page in browser fine...

excellent progress....!!!
test-systems.txt

pstglia

Jan 23, 2015, 1:32:10 AM1/23/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys for all feedback. No need to perform more tests by now.

Stay tuned :)

Christopher Price