laptops that are able to run android-x86

Matevz Leskovsek

Aug 30, 2023, 1:41:28 PM8/30/23
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi, on webpage https://www.android-x86.org/ I find this list od tested devices:

Microtech e-tab Pro (2018)
ASUS Eee PCs/Laptops
Viewsonic Viewpad 10
Dell Inspiron Mini Duo
Samsung Q1U
Viliv S5
Lenovo ThinkPad x61 Tablet

Is there some updated list? For example I ve been running it on HP
probook 4710s without any issues..

Generally, what are main considerations when choosing a new cheap
laptop to run android x-86? Bios with UEFI is required? Any ideas
which GPU cards work best?

Tnx

Huy Minh Bùi (HMTheBoy154)

Aug 30, 2023, 4:03:32 PM8/30/23
to Android-x86
in my opinion, to be able to run Android-x86 nowadays, especially x86_64 build (future Android version will focusing on this build, x86 is pretty dead)

You should get a laptop with x86_64-v2 compatiable CPU and 4~6gb of  RAM minimum. If you don't know what is x86_64-v2

The reason I said x86_64-v2 is because the instruction sets (or CPU features) here match with Android ABI requirements :
("x86-64-v1 only." I don't know why Google said this, but there's SSE4.2 so you must be on x86_64-v2)

If you buy a new laptop here's what you need to pay attention. But usually that's when you buy a second hand, new laptops nowadays are already x86_64-v2 compatiable. In term of graphics, choose the one that is using Intel or AMD integrated graphics. And it's better if the laptop doesn't have external GPU because Android-x86 doesn't use it.

Vào lúc 00:41:28 UTC+7 ngày Thứ Năm, 31 tháng 8, 2023, matevz.l...@gmail.com đã viết:

Matevz Leskovsek

Sep 1, 2023, 9:04:58 AM9/1/23
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Seriously thanks for the clear explanation. I am looking for cheap
laptops and this one for 140€ looks good:
https://support.hp.com/th-en/document/c06075526
But it seems its processor does not comply with the v2 instruction
set: https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_3/2200u - which i guess
means it will become obsolete in 4-5 years (and I am ok with that).
GPU is radeon vega and is integrated by AMD so this looks good, I guess?

Am I making any mistake buying this laptop and should I seriously
search for v2 compliant processors - those are much more rare and
expensive it seems, but honestly I found no list that would list those
processors, so I only did some random google searches with processor
name and the string "x86_64-v2" and was returned not much exact
results.

My objective is to run it as a kiosk box, mostly running MX player
showing movies, but also running "tasker app" for automation (so root
is required, my previous a-x86 installation had root from the start
and it rarely prompted me to confirm it so it was really sweet). Also
I really hope that android x-86 version available today is Android 10
or lower, because Android 11 (API version 30) introduced few
limitations like "scope access" that makes it much less useful for me.

Thanks guys, you really rock, i feel like a boomer lol

İlhan Atahan

Sep 2, 2023, 2:44:01 PM9/2/23
to Android-x86
I believe this processor is x86_64-v3 compatible, it got instructions of x86_64-v3.
The mandatory thing here is the SSE4.2, so you can go with this processor.

When it come to becaming absolote in 4-5 years, i think it's pretty acceptable.
(Core2Duo processors are still being used today by some small business)

Matevz Leskovsek

Sep 4, 2023, 7:48:37 AM9/4/23
to andro...@googlegroups.com
You guys are insanely smart and kind. Thanks! So.... I assume I simply
download the image from this "Download" link in attachment, burn it on
USB with RUFUS (or something else?), and boot the machine with it?
Will I have any issues choosing a boot "method", like uefi and such,
any guidelines here? Should I format drive in advance, currently it's
running windows 10 I believe. Much thanks, you rock!
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-x86/65fbfc7a-949e-4f75-9d37-ff5bce63d9fdn%40googlegroups.com.
image.png

İlhan Atahan

Sep 4, 2023, 8:31:54 AM9/4/23
to Android-x86
All correct.
It can dual boot with grub bootloader, so keep windows, just don't format the windows partition.

Matevz Leskovsek

Sep 4, 2023, 8:47:57 AM9/4/23
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I will go with a single boot;) it's a peaceful life:)

Matevz Leskovsek

Sep 5, 2023, 7:34:58 AM9/5/23
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hey all, tried my first live booting from USB and ended up stuck at image 5.jpg (screenshots are chronological - sorry for big files). Bios settings are visible in last 3 files, should i enable or disable virtualization? Any other bios tweak to try? Many thanks... and btw, i am so glad android x-86 is stuck at android version 9, seriously everything above API30 is useless for many use cases

Matevz Leskovsek

Sep 5, 2023, 7:42:54 AM9/5/23
to andro...@googlegroups.com
update: also with virtualization enabled -> same result. Ideas welcome:) maybe should i try installing, is "live booting" maybe more delicate?

Matevz Leskovsek

Sep 7, 2023, 8:36:44 AM9/7/23
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Any ideas of what's an issue? Is it GPU? Can I do anything in BIOS or am I most likely not having a-x86 here?

Btw I tried LIVE DEBUG boot now and this is where it stops (see attachment), if anyone is able to understand any of it please do tell:) Thanks all, I am learning and it goes slow:)
20230907_140814.jpg

Matevz Leskovsek

Sep 8, 2023, 7:31:43 AM9/8/23
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Any other ideas what to try? Otherwise I will try few more images from https://www.android-x86.org/releases.html today or tomorrow, unless everyone is sure this is a waste of time lol. I would be happy to run lineage version but I am afraid google services will not work fully - I hope it is possible to install those as I use many extensions/apps that rely on google drive and google speech and such

Btw, I am really passionate about this project so I will be trying your images on more laptops, should we make a google sheet of supported/unsupported devices, where we input notes?

Michael Goffioul

Sep 8, 2023, 7:57:12 AM9/8/23
to andro...@googlegroups.com
You should probably give BlissOS images a try. These are more recent and might work better with your particular chipset. There are also variants that include Gapps.

Michael.

Matevz Leskovsek

Sep 9, 2023, 2:27:33 PM9/9/23
to andro...@googlegroups.com
BlissOS seems to only offer Android 11 and higher kernels (API 30+), and I do not like their "scope access" file access restrictions. I guess bliss does not have earlier images available?.. anyway, trying lineage and oreo from x86 today, but probably I should not expect any luck in terms of better hw support:/ well if you dont try you dont know

İlhan Atahan

Sep 9, 2023, 3:10:13 PM9/9/23
to Android-x86
Many file managers workaround scopped storage, i can confirm BlissOS builds works with ryzen 5 series, should also works with ryzen 3 with

Matevz Leskovsek

Sep 9, 2023, 4:00:05 PM9/9/23
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Yes I know "file manager" apps are given the full access if google play listing is done correctly (a pain itself), but many of us use small custom apks for small batch tasks, or simply enjoy our favorite mp3 player that allows you to rename/move/delete and has DSP and other features unlike vanilla vlc or any other stock players. Google fucked up a lot of productivity and data-management use cases with API30+. Anyhow you guys rock and I will follow BlissOS for mainstream use from now on too!

Now some fucking update: Oreo latest x86 from https://www.android-x86.org/ boots perfectly, google play works normally it seems, will test other google services later, but it seems it works flawlessly on the target we were discussing in this thread: https://support.hp.com/th-en/document/c06075526

Much happy! And happy I am learning stuff from you guys, seriously "no bullshit community", this is rare! Awesome group!!! :)

Matevz Leskovsek

Sep 9, 2023, 4:14:30 PM9/9/23
to andro...@googlegroups.com
tested some more and.. oreo 8.1 latest build works flawlessly on said target, all google services seem to work, screen brightness is controlled via keyboard and it seems stable (I hope 8.1 does not have DOZE management, that shit is so retarded), and full root access is given without annoying prompts, so it's good... now I have a 12GB RAM 3.5GHz android with root here:)

Matevz Leskovsek

Sep 9, 2023, 4:15:54 PM9/9/23
to andro...@googlegroups.com
well yes, 8.1 also has doze: https://developer.android.com/training/monitoring-device-state/doze-standby

I am thinking of moving back to kitkat again, my fav OS ever!

crw

Sep 10, 2023, 1:18:56 PM9/10/23
to Android-x86
What you should be actually worried about is the phantom process killer in Android 12.

Matevz Leskovsek

Sep 12, 2023, 5:54:21 AM9/12/23
to andro...@googlegroups.com
thanks for a heads up, @crw Btw,