it is possible to have more than 2GB of storage available?

Eduardo Freitas

Jan 15, 2016, 3:06:12 PM1/15/16
to Android-x86
2GB is very little ...

Povilas Staniulis

Jan 15, 2016, 5:14:12 PM1/15/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On 2016.01.15 22:06, Eduardo Freitas wrote:
2GB is very little ...

Install Android to a real partition (instead of using system.img) or enlarge system.img.

Povilas Staniulis

Jan 15, 2016, 5:17:49 PM1/15/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On 2016.01.15 22:06, Eduardo Freitas wrote:
2GB is very little ...

Sorry, don't enlarge system.img, but installing will help.
Also, you didn't mention what image you were testing.
Message has been deleted

Eduardo Freitas

Jan 15, 2016, 6:37:22 PM1/15/16
to Android-x86
the question is how to do it? I did the regular installer asks procedure to create a data.img otherwise android will reset each time you restart ...

Povilas Staniulis

Jan 15, 2016, 6:59:04 PM1/15/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Enlarge your data.img.

In Linux:

dd oflag=append conv=notrunc if=/dev/zero of=data.img bs=1MB count=100
(replace count by whatever number of MB you want to increase data.img size by, eg 2048 to increase by 2GB)

And then:
resize2fs data.img

Eduardo Freitas

Jan 15, 2016, 8:44:42 PM1/15/16
to Android-x86
I do not use linux ... and also, I not have minimum experience.
I make a typical installation. choose the partition> sda2> choose ntfs > create installer grub> add windows> expect copy and read> Create Disk Image 512 min, max 2047 > choose 2047 mb and restart.

I created the partition with 16GB in windows formatted in NTFS for realize the process.
In the android partition with files and have "android folder" that have [data.img] what is virtual disk of android file that has 2047Mb. (memory of device)

my objective is increase the memory or do it android read the entire partition.
I using "marshmallow_x86_64_k440_mesa-1120devel_radeonsi.iso"

I wonder if I did wrong and if is possible to increase this virtual disk, if so, how do I proceed? (not using linux option)

because the android not read all partition, only data.img?
(using my "typical installation not is possible create a data.img bigger than 2047 MB because is max supported for VHD)

Povilas Staniulis

Jan 15, 2016, 8:56:21 PM1/15/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I do not know of any way to increase size of an ext4 filesystem (which is what data.img is) without Linux.

I can enlarge it for you if you want, but I'll need your data.img. Use an archiver to compress it before uploading.

IamBackX5

Jan 16, 2016, 2:51:23 AM1/16/16
to Android-x86
I use this tool: https://translate.google.ru/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2F4pda.ru%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Fshowtopic%3D496786%26st%3D940%23entry33220483&edit-text=&act=url
This is some modification of make ext4 for use with Cygwin lib in Windows, It's created for different mission, but it works... to download from site registration requied (or to ask some questions to developer), but i upload it here: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/G2Ks/bFmsHBUgn
It can't resize, but it will create new data. To do this you need to replace in CreateEXT4.bat: make_ext4fs -a %newimage% %1 system
to: make_ext4fs -l size %newimage% %1 data    (where "size" you need replace to size that do you want, for example 4096*1024*1024= 4294967296, make_ext4fs -l 4294967296 %newimage% %1 data)
Create clean folder and drop it with mouse to CreateEXT4.bat, also it can be maked without .bat in CMD

Povilas Staniulis

Jan 16, 2016, 7:32:06 AM1/16/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Cygwin seems to have a complete e2fsprogs package available.
https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86%2Fe2fsprogs%2Fe2fsprogs-1.42.12-1&grep=hat

Cannot mount, but can create, check and resize.

This way, you could just use dd and resize2fs commands under Cygwin. Can't test myself though (I don't have Cygwin installed), but I believe it should work.

spin877

Jan 16, 2016, 2:42:58 PM1/16/16
to Android-x86

Il giorno venerdì 15 gennaio 2016 21:06:12 UTC+1, Eduardo Freitas ha scritto:
2GB is very little ...

true 2gb have become "anachronistic" limitation

maybe it's time to update the script

/bootable/newinstaller/install/scripts/1-install

in line 199

"[0 size -the $ 0 $ 0 -o size -gt 2047] && size = 2047"

who will be capable of?
install.img

not me :P

Eduardo Freitas

Jan 16, 2016, 4:56:48 PM1/16/16
to Android-x86
Thank you all guys. problem solved!

My goal was to expand the memory available for Android.
but complications occurred, many of you have several ways and I thank everyone. let me tell this story so that They can help others with the same problem ...

The problem was that I was using the NTFS system to install the android I Could Not Access the menu to create / modify partitions.
It Appeared a question asking if we wanted to use GPT that dangerous if you have a windows in MBR Which can lead to formatting the drive if you do not have a live CD or a img boot for gpt partitions.
By clicking not to use gpt in cmd interface, return with fatal error: bad partition sda4.

This partition was ghost... using the CHKDSK on windows Realized que my disk have errors, execute CHKDSK / scan / perf and CHKDSK / F
After finishing the command Realized the mistakes and ghost partition sda4 gone.
so I did normal installation used menu to create / modify partitions create a new partition marked as bootable and white. choose etx4 the partition layout and now everything is okay, but not is possible to open the disc of the android on windows the it was possible before but having more memory is much better.

Jeřábek Jan

Jan 17, 2016, 2:16:38 PM1/17/16
to Android-x86
Dne pátek 15. ledna 2016 21:06:12 UTC+1 Eduardo Freitas napsal(a):
> 2GB is very little ...

Hi Eduardo,
I had a lot of hassle installing 5.1 (UEFI IMG) to bootable USB. The final conclusion is, that you can only have "unlimited" space for Android, if you install it to ext partition. The other experience of mine is, that GRUB/GRUB2 must be installed onto primary bootable FAT32 partition. So I downloaded GPARTED image, pushed it to USB pendrive using Rufus, booted and partitioned my usb3 pendrive into 2 partitions. 1st was FAT32, 2nd was EXT3 or 4 (I think). Then I proceeded with normal install (no format/no format) and it works like a charm.
So in your case, if you are trying to dualboot, use some tool to cut a bit of your harddrive space for android and format it to EXT3 or 4. Than install to that partition. GRUB/GRUB2 will automatically install to your FAT32 booting partition and will offer you to add Windows to it's boot menu. DO NOT choose to "format boot partition" otherwise you'll ruin install of your current system!

If u need to clarify something more, just let me know.
Honza

william zhang

Jan 19, 2016, 6:38:40 AM1/19/16
to Android-x86
Hi Eduardo,
     If you are too lazy to create a bigger one, I have already created a 16gb data.img in a zip file. Just extract it to the directory where you installed android(make sure there is enough space... it will add up to around 18gb altogether). Then reboot into android and it will work.

Hope this solved your problem(however all your installed apps and configurations are gone)

William
P.S. Haha don't worry the zip file is around 20mb :)

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 19, 2016, 11:29:00 AM1/19/16
to Android-x86
> 2GB is very little ...

I've phased in a patch to remove
the obsolete 2047MB limitation.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Povilas Staniulis

Jan 19, 2016, 11:53:51 AM1/19/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Ideally, there should still be a check if data.img destination volume is
FAT32, since FAT32 has a max file size of 4GB.
This may be important if data.img is placed on a flash drive, since
these often use FAT32 as their filesystem.

Hypo Turtle

Jan 19, 2016, 8:22:43 PM1/19/16
to Android-x86
Are you sure the dd part is needed? You are just resizing the blocks then using resize2fs data.img which means expand filesystem to take unallocated space.
Just using resize2fs data.img 1048576 (4GB in 4096 sectors) would do the same right?

Either way no need for full linux, you can make a copy of data.img and resize it from within Android.

Alejandro Pastrana

Jan 19, 2016, 8:23:00 PM1/19/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I tried your solution but is not possible to write your 16G file on my USB stick. I think this is a filesystem limitation of FAT32.

Anybody know any solution?

Regards

DDS Central

Jan 19, 2016, 8:26:10 PM1/19/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Second partition, NTFS or EXT4.

william zhang

Jan 20, 2016, 2:08:44 AM1/20/16
to Android-x86
Try using ntfs as fat32 only has a 4gb limit for single files. Ntfs has way more. Alternative solution is to use ext3/4 but it will no be reconized on windows.

Krister Hallergard

Jan 20, 2016, 6:09:54 PM1/20/16
to Android-x86
You can mount ext3/4 from Windows using Ext2Fsd.exe  http://goo.gl/g2Pbpi

Povilas Staniulis

Jan 20, 2016, 6:18:54 PM1/20/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Yep, but it's only good for reading. ext2fsd does not support all features of ext3/4 (eg. journal) and, even though it's possible to write to ext3/4 volumes, this isn't recommended.
There's also a tool called ext2explore, which allows to browse Linux volumes without installing anything.