HP Slate 500

Ray Wojtak

Apr 7, 2014, 10:03:12 PM4/7/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello all & sorry for rehashing this topic;
I have an HP Slate 500 that is currently running Mint just fine but I would like an OS that was meant for a touchscreen (where I can actually pick something on the screen with my finger & NOT involve a wish & a prayer).
It looked like some others were able to get Android running on their Slate 500, what do I need to do?
Please give me enough directions to do this but you don't have to get down to the "turn on the power button" steps.
Thanks!

Ravi

Apr 14, 2014, 3:35:28 PM4/14/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Firstly, you will need to find out which Wireless card is present in your tablet. Some cards aren't supported.

The next step is to download an install ISO file (e.g. android-x86-4.4-RC1.iso) from the downloads section, and use the dd command or unetbootin in Linux to copy it to a USB drive.

Then, simply choose the USB device from the BIOS and try it out on Live mode before installing to check that everything works!

If you want to keep Mint, you will need to partition the hard drive using gparted before installing Android though.

Ray Wojtak

May 14, 2014, 11:25:11 PM5/14/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ravi;
Thanks for the response. Android works via USB just like you directed (don't know why it is that things don't work for me but when someone tells me to do the exact same thing, IT WORKS!!!)
The only problem now is the touchscreen is not "detected". The only method of input is via USB keyboard. Icons are big enough, WiFi is connected, etc; just the touchscreen.
I am using the x86 version you suggested: 4.4-RC1

Anybody know how to get the touchscreen to work?
Thanks;
Ray

Yo Abe

May 21, 2014, 8:52:35 PM5/21/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I only got the HP tx2 n-trig touchscreen to work on 4.0 ICS. It seems like the n-trig driver is broken in the recent releases. Try 4.04 ASUS eeepc. (the TX2500 version doesn't have the necessary modules enabled and you need to recompile the kernel yourself, afaik) You will also need to load the appropriate modules hid_ntrig.ko and hid_multitouch.ko from the console on 4.0.

Yo Abe

May 23, 2014, 4:06:33 AM5/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
The n-trig touchscreen should work with the same modules as the tx2. Try the patched kernel for 4.4 RC2 posted in the TX2 touchscreen thread.