Any success with 8.1 R1 and Cherry Trail?

BrokenE39

Feb 4, 2019, 1:41:36 AM2/4/19
to Android-x86
Has anyone manage to successfully build and install 8.1 R1 on a Cherry Trail device (Z8300)? I tried the generic 64 bit ISO and my own build but both seem to hang or stall around random crng init. I was hoping kernal 4.19 would fix this problem with the trust cpu flag but it doesn't seem to work regardless of the flag value of Y or N. According to Intel, Cherry Trail should support RDRAND so it shouldn't stall at random crng init. I attached a copy of my kernel config for reference, please share your kernel config if you have managed to get 8.1 R1 working on your Cherry Trail device.
my_defconfig

BrokenE39

Feb 7, 2019, 2:14:22 AM2/7/19
to Android-x86
OK, I manage to get around the crng init issue. I found this post online and read the very last post which mention the UUID is miss matching. As a test, I used gparted and completed remove all the partitions on the disk. I first install using auto install so the partitions are setup correctly then I reinstall without formatting to enable writable system. When I booted, the random number generator was recognized and no longer hangs at crng init.

Chih-Wei Huang

Feb 11, 2019, 11:49:59 PM2/11/19
to Android-x86
Cherrytrail has been supported for years.
I have workable images for my Surface 3 (Z8700)
about 3 years ago. Almost all peripherals work well
except the camera.
Of course, it runs 8.1-r1 release fine
except it hangs sometimes.

You may try 8.1-r1 with "No GPU hardware acceleration"
on your device first.
If it works, it means the i915 driver is buggy on your device.
Then you should report the issue to bugzilla.kernel.org.

BrokenE39 <dwt.c...@gmail.com> 於 2019年2月4日 週一 下午2:41寫道:

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Daniel Cheung

Feb 12, 2019, 12:04:21 AM2/12/19
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I reverted back to 8.1 RC1 for now since it was working before. Sadly, since I can't clone the branch, I can't create a custom build for 8.1 RC. I'll try with no hardware acceleration after installing and report back. Is "No Hardware Acceleration" only related to GPU?

Chih-Wei Huang

Feb 12, 2019, 12:22:20 AM2/12/19
to Android-x86
Daniel Cheung <dwt.c...@gmail.com> 於 2019年2月12日 週二 下午1:04寫道:

> I reverted back to 8.1 RC1 for now since it was working before. Sadly, since I can't clone the branch, I can't create a custom build for 8.1 RC. I'll try with no hardware acceleration after installing and report back. Is "No Hardware Acceleration" only related to GPU?

The kernel branch of 8.1-rc1 is kernel-4.9

https://osdn.net/projects/android-x86/scm/git/kernel/commits?branch=kernel-4.9

Daniel Cheung

Feb 12, 2019, 1:44:04 AM2/12/19
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I know 8.1 RC1 is on the old kernel. I was hoping the new kernel brings a bit better performance to power and sleep. I'm surprise that it may be the GPU driver issue since it works on your Surface 3 since both Z8700 and Z8300 listed as HD Graphics.

Daniel Cheung

Feb 22, 2019, 5:36:47 PM2/22/19
to andro...@googlegroups.com
OK, confirmed the system does boot without hardware acceleration. What other steps do I need to do before posting a bug? I mean I can't simply say it doesn't for my device without additional information.