Settings options that need be available in Android x86

Rob Cosentino

Jan 15, 2015, 9:13:00 PM1/15/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Playing around with an Android Stick (HDMI), I notice a lot of setting that really need to be available in Android x86.

1: Sound Devices Manager.
As with most PCs, there are multiple ins and outs for audio. All options need to be selectable. Android x86 seems to be configured to default to the analog out on the back port and input/microphone is configured to the front port. However, even if your motherboard has the 10pin connector for front AC97/HD Audio, you may not have a front port riser and need to select the rear inputs.

2: Ethernet Settings.
DHCP and Static.

3: Screen interface, resolution, and scale.
On the fly resolution changes are a must for some users as well as corrections.

4: USB > PC.
Easy connect for debugging.

Check out the attached pics and let me know what you think. For me, a Sound Device Manager is imperative.

Rob.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
7.JPG
6.JPG

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 15, 2015, 10:57:53 PM1/15/15
to Android-x86
You are welcome to contribute these features.
Note this is an open source project.
If you want something, try to implement yourself.
Don't count on others.
> --

Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org

Rob Cosentino

Jan 16, 2015, 10:49:25 AM1/16/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Workin on it ;)

Rob Cosentino

Jan 19, 2015, 12:14:40 AM1/19/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I do have a question for the sound developer. Why would you choose to default to "rear" panel audio out and "front" panel audio in? I think that is something that needs to be more uniform and I'm not the one to implement that. Either have it default to both "rear" or both "front", preferably "rear" so no extra hardware is required.
Thanks!
Rob

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 19, 2015, 1:38:14 AM1/19/15
to Android-x86
> I do have a question for the sound developer.

Well, there is no "sound developer" in the project.
Nor any "xxx developer".
This is just a project I do in my spare time, and
someone from the community kindly contribute some patches.
That's all.

Of course, if you wish, I can nominate you to be
the sound developer of the project. :)

> Why would you choose to default to "rear" panel audio out and "front" panel audio in? I think that

How did you conclude that?

> is something that needs to be more uniform and I'm not the one to implement
> that. Either have it default to both "rear" or both "front", preferably
> "rear" so no extra hardware is required.

Welcome to submit a patch.

Rob Cosentino

Jan 19, 2015, 2:45:15 AM1/19/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Ah, OK.
Now I understand. I had no idea the project is that small. My apologies.

> How did you conclude that?

Installation on 5 PCs. Every one defaulted to "Rear" audio output and
"Front" audio input.
Problem was, 3 of the 5 PCs didn't have front audio risers. Hence, only
2 of the 5 had microphone/audio IN support.
So, If the audio INPUT would just default to the "Rear" input, all 5 PCs
would have microphone/audio IN support.

> Of course, if you wish, I can nominate you to be
> the sound developer of the project. :)

As I am flattered I would even be considered, I feel I don't have the
chops for the job.
That also goes for submitting a patch. I have good ideas, I just can't
always execute them.
I might be able to team up with someone as I learn android code.
But thank you very much!

Rob.