Re: False Copyright of WoltreX against Modder for using of Android x86_64 Mesa version.

Message has been deleted

Michael Goffioul

Jan 6, 2020, 6:19:40 AM1/6/20
to Android-x86
The Android-x86 developers are not the copyright owners of mesa, so they are not really the right people to counter such copyright claim. The mesa project is: https://www.mesa3d.org/. The license terms of mesa are defined here: https://www.mesa3d.org/license.html. Whatever is being claimed must not conflict with these terms.

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 5:48 AM Erkan SAGİR <erkankor...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone, today I'll talk to you about something other than the feedback of bugs. As you know, the use of Android x86_64 has recently increased. There are many reasons for this, one of which is video games. Due to PUBG Mobile and various games, people turned to the Android x86_64 operating system. Seeing people's desire, developers created PhoenixOS. However, it is very difficult to do this for free, and so they slowed down the development. They appeared because of unofficial PhoenixOS Mods. One of them is PhoenixOS-ROC. Let's come to the part that interests you, one of these Moder WoltreX claims copyright for some mesa versions. Yes, you didn't read it wrong, this man claims to be the Android Oreo / Pie Project director, but he also claims copyright for some mesa versions of AOSP. Can you tell me how this is possible? You're Android x86_64 developers, and even you aren't as ambitious. Developers helped me out here when I opened topic about something. One of them was to use mesa 18.3.0 for Phoenix OS. The mesa versions that this man claims to be copyrighted are as follows; mesa 18.2.1 and mesa 18.3.0 You know that this is all from the AOSP. But you are the originator of all of them. If your can, make a lawsuit or have him take back his claims. This is his website;https://www.patreon.com/woltrex

Erkan SAGİR

Jan 6, 2020, 6:59:27 AM1/6/20
to Android-x86
6 Ocak 2020 Pazartesi 14:19:40 UTC+3 tarihinde Michael Goffioul yazdı:
Thanks for replying but i know mesa 3d. However, the people who port mesa to android is android x86_64 developers. So I feel compelled to report it because we're in trouble with a false copyright claim.

Erkan SAGİR

Michael Goffioul

Jan 6, 2020, 7:18:24 AM1/6/20
to Android-x86
Yes, Android-x86 uses mesa (I think "port" is an overstatement, it's just upstream mesa, either from freedesktop or intel, with a few patches, mostly related to build, or some - pending - bug fixes), but that doesn't change the original copyright ownership. Maybe it would help if you could point to the place where such copyright claim is being made? I quickly scan patreon, but couldn't find anything related.

Michael.

Micheal Martin

Jan 6, 2020, 6:33:10 PM1/6/20
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Also, MESA is open source, you cannot claim copyright or license violation unless it has been modified and sold. Specifically the package itself being sold. This guy is blowing smoke, and if he is not careful, the creators of MESA can actually sue him for violation of the Open Source Licensing. https://www.mesa3d.org/license.html
As Michael said earlier, this needs to be brought to the attention of the Mesa3D team, and let their legal dept. or representatives handle it from there.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-x86/CAB-99Lue62pYVbt_V%2BvfwaNwK2ED1bWCb5N0VdCHhbPPUw8njA%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Life sucks if you never find the one you love.

Erkan SAGİR

Jan 7, 2020, 10:15:34 AM1/7/20
to Android-x86
7 Ocak 2020 Salı 02:33:10 UTC+3 tarihinde Micheal Martin yazdı:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-x86/CAB-99Lue62pYVbt_V%2BvfwaNwK2ED1bWCb5N0VdCHhbPPUw8njA%40mail.gmail.com.
>

> --
>
> Life sucks if you never find the one you love.

You can see Woltrex claims fake copyright even they debugged kernel and mesa 19.1 for nougat.
fakestrike.jpeg

Huy Minh Bui

Jan 7, 2020, 11:41:19 AM1/7/20
to Android-x86
Hi, thanks a lot for supporting us for this legal fight with that thief :).
There are more things that you don't believe what he did.
He commented on Youtube that he contributed a lot for Android-x86. But what he did is that he recreate a tool called "Phoenix OS Toolbox" which added a few options and still doing the same job. He even using DMCA protection to taken down any Youtube videos/forum posts. And he don't even credit the original author

Here are the 2 tools :
PhoenixOS Toolbox on XDA :
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/tool-phoenixos-toolbox-t3594629

Android PC Toolbox by WoltreX :
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://bbs.phoenixstudio.org/en/showthread.php%3Ftid%3D9661%26page%3D26&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjYt-bF9vHmAhWS62EKHdrQC2UQFjAAegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw2yRXxT_krg7IWyNvfP4E0K

Rinaldo Jonathan

Jan 7, 2020, 11:47:10 AM1/7/20
to andro...@googlegroups.com
And I thought consoleOS case was stupid enough ...

Everyone can make a port, its cool. But claiming everything was yours is just stupid. Why don't you claim android was made by yourself instead? Come on.

Probably comes from a script kiddie that doesnt understand law.
Well I used to be like that before, LOL

Warm Regards

Rinaldo Jonathan

Amsal 1:7 (TB) : Takut akan TUHAN adalah permulaan pengetahuan, tetapi orang bodoh menghina hikmat dan didikan.

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, or have received this email in error, you must destroy all verbatim copies of this email IMMEDIATELY, and contact the sender.

Michael Goffioul

Jan 7, 2020, 11:50:26 AM1/7/20
to Android-x86
This looks like a Youtube DMCA takedown notice. Have your videos been taken down due to complaints from that person? In any case, there doesn't seem to an indication that there is an actual copyright claim on mesa or android-x86, it seems to me that the target is more PhoenixOS Darkmatter. What is striking me is that this claim is coming from WoltreX, who develops PhoenixOS ROC, which is an alternative to PhoenixOS Darkmatter. So from where I stand, this is a fight between 2 similar projects... both using the same open source projects. None of you can claim copyright on those open source projects, and if your video have been taken down wrongfully, I suppose (can only hope) Youtube provide some mechanism to counter it.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-x86/51c64d78-0713-46de-b855-b2af6ba79950%40googlegroups.com.

Huy Minh Bui

Jan 7, 2020, 11:56:07 AM1/7/20
to Android-x86
Second, all of his Mesa drivers and Kernel don't have his signature or proof that he own it. If you find his mod, and then unzip the Kernel files, you will know that these kernel are all having -android-x86_64 and -phoenixos-x86_64 as localversion . There is no sign of him here, he didn't compile any of them. If he compile it, he'd know how to set these local version to prove himself. But no! So he's violating GPL2 License now, didn't he ?
Moreover, like kernel, his Mesa drivers should be signed to, right ? Again, no! He copy Mesa straight out of some Android-x86 version out there, finding the usable one and slap them into his mod. And even if he's compile it, he should've given Mauro a credit since he's the one hosting Mesa drivers for Android-x86

I hope this can explain to you guys more about this situation. This thief is just like Console Enterprise with ConsoleOS back then 💁

Huy Minh Bui

Jan 7, 2020, 12:01:39 PM1/7/20
to Android-x86
Thanks Micheal, we're actually gathering some evidence of Youtubers who've been copy-strike by Woltrex before, even reviewing original version of PhoenixOS. His channel was taken down once, but he just created a second one.

And I search his company (yes he have one, as what he said) AndroTechTeam Co. , there is no such company like that.

john s wolter

Jan 7, 2020, 1:49:53 PM1/7/20
to andro...@googlegroups.com
This looks to be an obvious case of fraud.  Fraudulent intellectual property claims are too common across the Internet.  I would suggest gathering what you know about this & forwarded to a U.S., State or even Federal prosecutors' cyber-crime group.

It's likely to become extortion like ransomware & several other felonies like wire-fraud, using the Internet to commit a crime, & conspiracy to commit a crime.  Summing it up it has the smell of organized crime.

Cheers,
John S. Wolter
Wolter Works, LLC
EMail: johns...@wolterworks.com
LinkedIn: John S Wolter, johnswolter

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 12:01 PM Huy Minh Bui <buin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Micheal, we're actually gathering some evidence of Youtubers who've been copy-strike by Woltrex before, even reviewing original version of PhoenixOS. His channel was taken down once, but he just created a second one.

And I search his company (yes he have one, as what he said) AndroTechTeam Co. , there is no such company like that.

Michael Goffioul

Jan 7, 2020, 2:03:28 PM1/7/20
to Android-x86
Although I empathize and understand the frustration, open source licenses like Apache/MIT/GPL do not prevent from distributing binaries, or redistributing someone else's unmodified binaries, provided that you comply with the license terms. For instance, for GPLv2 this is covered by this post: https://opensource.stackexchange.com/questions/5106/can-i-distribute-unmodified-gplv2-binaries-without-the-source-code. The license terms do not even prevent you from making money out of distributing binaries (assuming someone is willing to pay for it). Aggregating other's people work into a nicely wrapped package with a cherry-on-top can be a shady business, but still possible.

That being said, there seems to be little ground for valid Youtube DMCA takedown, but this has to be dealt between the video owner and Youtube. Unfortunately, regarding DMCA takedown on Youtube, it's usually guilty until proven innocent, not the other way around (it puts Youtube on the safe side).

Huy Minh Bui

Jan 7, 2020, 9:50:42 PM1/7/20
to Android-x86

Vào 02:03:28 UTC+7 Thứ Tư, ngày 08 tháng 1 năm 2020, Michael Goffioul đã viết:

So this guy know a little bit about these license then so he can do whatever he likes now. About the video I might have to talk to TeamYoutube on Twitter, hope they can solve this.

Thanks again Micheal (and everyone who are supporting us here :D)

(btw if you want to find more what he did to us and everyone else, here is a post that you can read : https://supreme-gamers.com/threads/roasted-the-real-face-of-woltrex-and-other-copycats-%F0%9F%A4%AA.41/

And if you want to know about Darkmatter Project and why it's different than ROC : https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/phoenixos-darkmatter-supercharged-gamers-t3997275   )

Huy Minh Bui

Jan 7, 2020, 9:55:53 PM1/7/20
to Android-x86
by the way, sorry for the Hidden Image, that's the forum problem.

Michael Goffioul

Jan 7, 2020, 10:18:57 PM1/7/20
to Android-x86

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 11:56 AM Huy Minh Bui <buin...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Well, no, the license terms of the open source projects being used must be respected. At the very least (and IANAL):
- copyright notices must be provided (IIRC, on Android-x86, it's somewhere in the settings app)
- if modifications are made to GPL or LGPL modules, source codes must be made available (note that many Android-x86 files are under GPLv2+, e.g. init script, init.sh..., but they're in source form on the image anyway) and existing header copyright notices cannot be stripped

Michael.

Huy Minh Bui

Jan 7, 2020, 11:31:01 PM1/7/20
to Android-x86

Vào 10:18:57 UTC+7 Thứ Tư, ngày 08 tháng 1 năm 2020, Michael Goffioul đã viết:
Oh yea speaking of init.sh, he copyrighted his init.sh with his "Imagination License" and accuse us for stealing it. But actually that just some alsa-mixer code that he grabbed somewhere on Reddit or from here (I saw youling257 used to solve mic problem). So he is violate the license now ?

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 8, 2020, 2:49:27 AM1/8/20
to Android-x86
Huy Minh Bui <buin...@gmail.com> 於 2020年1月8日 週三 上午10:50寫道:
>> On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 11:56 AM Huy Minh Bui <buin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (btw if you want to find more what he did to us and everyone else, here is a post that you can read : https://supreme-gamers.com/threads/roasted-the-real-face-of-woltrex-and-other-copycats-%F0%9F%A4%AA.41/

Thank you for raising these.
Though I don't see what we can or should do for these arguments.

> And if you want to know about Darkmatter Project and why it's different than ROC : https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/phoenixos-darkmatter-supercharged-gamers-t3997275 )

If possible, I do hope they can contribute patches especially
the game fixes to the upstream, i.e., the Android-x86 project.
That's how the open source project moves on.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project