How to get the debug log when insmod a driver module?

Honghe Wu

Sep 16, 2013, 2:11:53 AM9/16/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On version Android jb-x86:

We are developing a multi-touch driver, but the driver demo has some serious bug, and the kernel breakdown when the driver module was manually loaded.
Whereas Android-x86 has no `/var/log` directory, and the kernel breakdown. So how can we get the debug log?

Thanks!

Michael Cunningham

Sep 16, 2013, 7:09:39 AM9/16/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
option 1)
   After booting into the GUI, connect a physical keyboard, and press Alt+F1, then issue the dmesg command; you will have to scroll through alot of random stuff, but what your looking for should be in there.
# dmesg | more

option 2)
   If you have a working network interface, on the build platform:
cd to the out/host/linux-x86/bin directory:
   $ cd ~/android-x86/out/host/linux-x86/bin
kill the previous connection (if any):
   $ ./adb kill-server
connect adb to your android device:
   $ ./adb connect 192.168.0.123 (replace with the ip of your android device; can be viewed with the netcfg command from the android device)
view the log.. usually VERY long, and un-informative.. exit with ctrl+c
   $ ./adb logcat
if the logcat doesn't have what you need, run a remote shell to your android device, and view the dmesg
   $ ./adb shell
   # dmesg | more

V/r,
Mike

Masaki Muranaka

Sep 16, 2013, 6:45:44 PM9/16/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Option 3)
$ ./adb shell dmesg | more
As busybox's "more" is poor.

2013/9/16 Michael Cunningham <comm...@android-x86.org>:
> --

Masaki Muranaka
Monami-ya LLC, Japan.

Honghe Wu

Sep 17, 2013, 5:35:41 AM9/17/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
When insmod the multi-touch driver, the whole kernel shutdowns immediately, so I can not get the log of what happen when the driver is loading through `dmesg`.
Thanks.