Is it possible to make bluetooth works in android os on PC?

max_lake

Nov 22, 2021, 9:24:01 AM11/22/21
to Android-x86
I'd like to set a bluetooth device via its app, usually it's done by a common smartphone but I do not own any and I don't want to get one so I wander if this job is possible with a PC and a BT usb dongle.
In other words I ask if someone tried to run bluetooth within an adroid os on a PC and got success. Anyway if you have other solutions I listen to you.
As you know BT doesn't work on android emulators so it's a dead end and I'm afraid I'll get no results if I'll run android os on a flash drive using rufus or similar sw.

Daniel Cheung

Nov 22, 2021, 3:05:32 PM11/22/21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
In my experience, BT USB dongles are very tricky because you need to find out the chipset used and then check the kernel config to see if it's even supported in Android X86. I ended up gambling by changing the onboard wifi card on my PC to an Intel card since it is listed as supported by Kernal 4.19 and it worked. However, it only worked 99% of the time as it started giving me audio stuttering last night.

Jordan Livesey

Nov 22, 2021, 3:18:17 PM11/22/21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
of course not, its essencially an android emulator inside linux, like bluestacks on windows

max_lake

Nov 25, 2021, 6:39:20 AM11/25/21
to Android-x86
All right, it was a noob-like question.

I'd like anyway to show you my whole problem to find other solutions if any.
I've got this bt device
https://www.widex.com/en/hearing-aids/accessories/com-dex/
and it can be set by its app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.widex.comdex
Is it possible to manage its settings via its app without a smartphone, I mean only by a PC?

Povilas Staniulis

Nov 25, 2021, 9:15:44 AM11/25/21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
What Android version ?
If your Bluetooth radio device is detected and works in Android, your
Bluetooth accessory should work as well. At least in theory, the only
way is to find out for sure is to just try it out.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-x86/d551cd67-5303-46c6-9d89-116dd62b23ben%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-x86/d551cd67-5303-46c6-9d89-116dd62b23ben%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Huy Minh Bùi

Nov 25, 2021, 10:51:10 AM11/25/21
to Android-x86
now what he need to do is to post the lsusb output here (if he use USB Bluetooth like me) or lspci (if he use PCI one)
Optionally, he should get dmesg output and we can see what's going on.

Vào lúc 21:15:44 UTC+7 ngày Thứ Năm, 25 tháng 11, 2021, wdmo...@gmail.com đã viết:

max_lake

Nov 28, 2021, 2:33:09 PM11/28/21
to Android-x86
> If your Bluetooth radio device is detected and works in Android
Mmhhh... maybe I didn't understand you, anyway I've got this usb BT dongle on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0775YF36R
and it doesn't work in android emulator as you know and I've already written in my 1st post. I run both win10 and ubuntu 18.04.1 (4.18.0-25 kernel) and my usb bt dongle is properly recognized in win10 but it doesn't on bluestacks.

Here's lsusb output on ubuntu :
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 12d1:14db Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E353/E3131
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1c4f:0034 SiGma Micro
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
So it's the "Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)".

Just other noob questions:
- afaik it's basically a cpu architecture matter, I mean android works on arm but not so good on amd cpu as mine, so my question is: does a sort of PC "hybrid" cpu with arm-like structure exist?
- can we consider an android box to solve my problem? I don't like to buy a smartphone only to solve this problem.

Daniel Cheung

Nov 28, 2021, 3:13:41 PM11/28/21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Looks like you could patch it and then build a custom image. Or try your luck and use a 5.10 kernel which I'm trying out right now.

max_lake

Nov 28, 2021, 3:25:54 PM11/28/21
to Android-x86
(Honestly I've not still red the article you linked).
Do you mean I can try to run ubuntu with 5.10 kernel and *maybe* my bt dongle will work within an android emulator (eg. Genymotion)? Just consider I still use the 4.18 old kernel because I've got many freezes with the 5.x kernel due to my cfg (amd ryzen 3 2200g + msi b450a pro).

Daniel Cheung

Nov 28, 2021, 3:32:10 PM11/28/21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
The article mentioned the patch was included in kernel 5.6 and above. If kernel 5.x is giving you problem then may be download the source, patch it, and build a custom rom. However, this method will remove Google Playstore (don't know why) and you will need to read my old post about OpenGapps. Be warned, you will need at least 500GB of space to customize a rom with OpenGapps. I ran out of room last night on my VM and had to increase the VM size to about 460GB in order to fit the OpenGapps code and I hope it still got room for the output iso.

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 12:25 PM max_lake <gipsy.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
(Honestly I've not still red the article you linked).
Do you mean I can try to run ubuntu with 5.10 kernel and *maybe* my bt dongle will work within an android emulator (eg. Genymotion)? Just consider I still use the 4.18 old kernel because I've got many freezes with the 5.x kernel due to my cfg (amd ryzen 3 2200g + msi b450a pro).

max_lake

Nov 29, 2021, 10:48:37 AM11/29/21
to Android-x86
Maybe I'm too noob to understand your solution. As far as I understand that article deals with a patch to make just a bt dongle works on ubuntu, doesn't it? My problem is to make the dongle works within an android emulator (as bluestack in win10 or Genymotion in ubuntu). I bought that specific dongle because there're several positive buyers' feedbacks about its compatibility with ubuntu 18.04, eg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3KY3M32G7JXB9/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0775YF36R
so this is not the point, the point is to solve my problem pairing my comdex bt device and an android emulator using only my pc and my dongle, nevermind win or linux, if it's possible.

Daniel Cheung

Nov 29, 2021, 12:18:26 PM11/29/21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I got confused by your first post, I thought you wanted to try native Android X86 after failing in Emulator. You would look into using Virtual Box but I'm not sure how resources are passed to Android X86. Assuming Virtual Box can hand the USB BT dongle natively to Android X86, you are still stuck with an unsupported device. Since Android is built using Linux, you still need to refer back to Linux for some fixes. This looks like one of those situations.

max_lake

Nov 29, 2021, 12:30:04 PM11/29/21
to Android-x86
You were right, it was my fault because I misunderstood your suggestion. Nevermind the android emulator or native Android X86 but if it's impossible with the 1st one I'll go with Android X86. So were your suggestion: install Android X86, upgrade your kernel to 5.6 and make bt dongle working by that patch?

Daniel Cheung

Nov 29, 2021, 12:50:03 PM11/29/21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure if you can do an in place Kernel update. The instructions found in this chat group has always been build a custom image if you are doing any kind of driver or kernel modification. Interesting that someone tried the same BT dongle in Ubuntu 18.04 and it worked out of the box, I can suggest two things before going down the path of custom image:
  • Just try the Android X86 9.0 R2 USB without installing while having the BT dongle plugged in, if you can connect a BT headset and the audio works then you know it's supported
  • If the above works, try to install Android X86 as a VM using VirtualBox instead and read up on USB pass thru, this may be a sticking point

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 9:30 AM max_lake <gipsy.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
You were right, it was my fault because I misunderstood your suggestion. Nevermind the android emulator or native Android X86 but if it's impossible with the 1st one I'll go with Android X86. So were your suggestion: install Android X86, upgrade your kernel to 5.6 and make bt dongle working by that patch?

max_lake

Nov 30, 2021, 7:02:12 AM11/30/21
to Android-x86
Did you suggested to go through 2 steps because it's sure bt won't work in a "live" usb android x86 session?

Daniel Cheung

Nov 30, 2021, 10:31:09 AM11/30/21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I'm suggesting 2 steps because you need to confirm if the BT would even work with the "live" usb Android session. If it doesn't work then you will have more troubleshooting to do. There is no definite list of supported hardware, it's mostly "If this is supported in the same Linux kernel Android X86 is using, then it will likely to work".

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 4:02 AM max_lake <gipsy.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
Did you suggested to go through 2 steps because it's sure bt won't work in a "live" usb android x86 session?

Jordan Livesey

Nov 30, 2021, 10:32:22 AM11/30/21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
like I said, uncertified versions of android can't and android x86 is not google sertified

max_lake

Nov 30, 2021, 6:14:55 PM11/30/21
to Android-x86
maybe i'm just wasting my time but i want to have a try. here we are
https://www.android-x86.org/installhowto.html
what "live" version do you suggest me for my goal in my scenario? "Run Android-x86 without installation", "Vulkan support", etc. i remind you i'm running:
- amd ryzen 3 2200g (with Radeon Vega 8 Graphics)
- msi b450a pro
- 2x4gb kingston hyperx predator 3200mhz CL16

Daniel Cheung

Nov 30, 2021, 6:47:28 PM11/30/21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Run Android-x86 without installation is the one you are looking for. It's very possible that it won't even work as Jordan suggested. Anyone else have experience with Android X86 on Virtual Box? If so, can you even pass USB devices to Android X86?

max_lake

Dec 2, 2021, 2:38:53 PM12/2/21
to Android-x86
I put android x86 in a pendrive with rufus and I ran it live. It seems BT dongle works and (it seems!) it can be paired with comdex BUT it's my veru first time with android in general (I've never got a smartphone) and I'm not sure (off everything I saw!). Let me show you in details what it happened:
- As soon as os started it began to search wifi. I've got a huawei e3131 dongle [12d1:14db Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E353/E3131] and it works properly on my ubuntu but android coulnd't find it in that live session. I guess it's a very bad downside for my goal because I need comdex's app and I won't download it in a live android session because I can't connect to the web, unless it can be possible to "merge" its app to android's files within my pendrive and let it run within the live session .
- I did this to pair the comdex. I chose "task bar" at the beginning, then clicked on the "numb" with dots in the lower left corner -> settings -> connected devices > connection preferences, then pair new devices -> pairing com-dex 410. Consider the device name was ms-7b86, which is my mb's code, so I guess it referred to BT dongle.

Now let me know 1) if the comdex and the dongle was properly paired and 2) how to enable wifi (huawei) or merge its app to the os before working in live session.
Thanks for your time.

PS - Due to reasons I can't understand, the very first time the bt dongle didn't work because I plugged it in one of the back usb ports. The opposite result with my pendrive: the first time I put it in a frontal usb port and it didn't work so I swapped it at back side.
I tried to put the huawei dongle both in the front and in the back but it has not ever worked anyhow in live sessions.

Huy Minh Bùi

Dec 3, 2021, 2:59:16 AM12/3/21
to Android-x86
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

This fake CSR Bluetooth card is supported and can easy be enabled, you can just install a kernel that is 4.19+ above. I myself have one so I tried before.

The Huawei E3131 seems like a Modem USB Dongle. Which I don't know if there's a way to make it work yet beside using PPPWidget. I saw people use that with their Huawei modem before. Idk if it can work for you.

Last it's the com-dex 410.............. well I don't know if Android-x86 got Bluetooth mic working yet
Vào lúc 02:38:53 UTC+7 ngày Thứ Sáu, 3 tháng 12, 2021, max_lake đã viết:

max_lake

Dec 3, 2021, 8:49:42 AM12/3/21
to Android-x86
Hi Huy Minh Bùi,

> This fake CSR Bluetooth card is supported and can easy be enabled, you can just install a kernel that is 4.19+ above.
Do you refer to ubuntu or to a live android environment? My goal is to make everything works in a live android x86 session.
Anyway can you ensure me the comdex and the bt were paired in the scenario I described above?Maybe I made a mistake when I said: "Now let me know [...] how to enable wifi (huawei) or merge *its* app to the os before working in live session." When I said *its* app I wanted to refer to comdex app and not to an app for wifi/huawei. My goal is to use comdex app because it's the only way to set it up else I can't set anything though comdex and bt are paired. So either my huawei works and I can download comdex app from the web in a live android session or... (I don't know if it's possible) I firstly download comdex app with my ubuntu and then I merge it into the android .iso so it will be available to use in a live session though there will be no web connectivity.

> I don't know if Android-x86 got Bluetooth mic working yet
What about bt and mic? I don't have to record voice or similar with comdex, just to set it up by its app.
BTW why is it a "fake CSR Bluetooth"? What's fake?

max_lake

Dec 5, 2021, 1:15:07 PM12/5/21
to Android-x86
Sorry if I reply to myself but now the problem is how to enable my huawei wifi usb dongle in android x86 live session.
I tried this workaround
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4cVjTT_oJo
which is running it in debug mode to scan the peripherals, but with no success. Maybe is a hw cfg matter? Or an android x86 version matter?