error 972 fixed

Cornel Ungureanu

Jan 3, 2015, 3:21:00 PM1/3/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone, I wont talk much

The fix is to use the ext4 format for your android partition.
While the installer does not support ext4 (yet), you need to format it yoursef, and when
the installer prompts for formating, just choose 'do not format'.

Cheers!!

George Turner

Jan 3, 2015, 4:36:41 PM1/3/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
When you install along side a recent Linux distro you will most likely get an ext4 partition. That's why it works.

Guillermo Bianchi

Jan 3, 2015, 5:06:21 PM1/3/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I hope this works. After my linux finish updating, Iĺl try your solution, and see if it works :)

George Turner

Jan 3, 2015, 5:12:33 PM1/3/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
If all it takes is an ext4 partition, you don't need to install Linux. I took that approach because I already had Linux installed on a machine and adding android to it was easy.

lewis donofrio

Jan 3, 2015, 5:21:18 PM1/3/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
ok I'll try straight away...

George Turner

Jan 3, 2015, 5:28:39 PM1/3/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I just tried installing to an ext4 partition on a flash drive and got "grub error 15" when I tried to boot. Not sure what went wrong. I used the 5.0 2014-11-10 iso.

Cornel Ungureanu

Jan 3, 2015, 5:31:50 PM1/3/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Well I found out after I checked the logcat, finding something interesting while trying to install/update an app about posix_fallocate...
then googling a little i found this link giving me a clue about an unsupported filesystem.
Then I even checked on my nexus5 filesystem, guess what it was ext4

lewis donofrio

Jan 3, 2015, 5:45:45 PM1/3/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
install is frozen or unable to display message.....when it asked "do you want to install boot loader GRUB" I pressed yes and where it normally comes back after a few min its not I press enter and screen moves up a line.  keep in mind I just formed ext4 thought live mint17 gparted then when completed rebooted into "install android" and *did not format* the drive just told it to keep it as is....so here I am waiting and wondering what it's doing and how did anyone get there systems working with ext4???

lewis donofrio

Jan 3, 2015, 5:48:46 PM1/3/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
when I run dmesg from another tty it returns "EXT-4 (sda1): mounted filesystem with orderd data mode. Options: (null)

Steven Bennett

Jan 3, 2015, 9:29:13 PM1/3/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hey thanks Cornel, that worked like a treat, created an ext4 data.img and no more error 972 :)

George Turner

Jan 4, 2015, 1:34:22 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
How did you do it? I thought I saw some examples and now I can't find them.

Miker1029

Jan 4, 2015, 2:08:20 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Confirmed Working EXT4, On Dell Inspiron 1750 with ISO Released By RBG - android-2014-11-10

Mike
Android - X86 Forums

George Turner

Jan 4, 2015, 2:16:13 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Mike, what are you confirming? We both know that installing along side Linux works, but if I understand correctly they have come up with another way. I would like to get a 5.0 test ISO installed single boot on a flash drive without 972 error. I still can't do that.

Mike Ross

Jan 4, 2015, 3:24:37 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

--

I have It Installed on My HD under EXT4 and Play Store error is gone,  If your able to Format your Stick EXT4 I don;t see why It shouldn't work..

George Turner

Jan 4, 2015, 3:28:56 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I get grub error 15 when I try to boot a stick that I have formatted to ext4 and installed android. Same error on a hard drive. It seems that they were saying that the data.img file needs to ext4. Maybe not the entire partition?

Mike Ross

Jan 4, 2015, 3:32:43 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 9:24 PM, Mike Ross <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I  Just Formatted My Partition In Linux With GPARTED to EXT4 and Install as Per Normal and It worked fine...

Miker1029

Jan 4, 2015, 4:10:18 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Don't mind the "Et Root" Was Wondering why it was saying Couldn't find "ET" at start-up,  But was thinking, 1. Are you on your new System??? 2. I didn;t Change the lsmod to ext4 I left it ext2....

Hope It helps...

Mike
IMG_20150104_144633.jpg
IMG_20150104_144650.jpg
Screenshot_2015-01-04-14-51-53.png

George Turner

Jan 4, 2015, 4:22:54 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
You seem to be doing something different than what I am trying to do. I am just creating one ext4 partition on a stick. Then install lollipop with no format, yes to grub install, and system RW. When I boot from that all I get is "Error 15". Just won't boot. If I do ext2 instead of ext4, it will boot up, but I get 972 error from Play Store.

Mike R

Jan 4, 2015, 4:39:10 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Is it possible that The Stick Can't be Formatted EXT4??  I've heard of such a thing before...  And Ya I'm installed on the HD partition....  Might want to give it a shot that way,  just to see if it's your stick,   And on your old GRUB system....  All I can figure, I'm typing this right now on 5.0, I can post my GRUB2 Entry Maybe It'll help... Up to you...As I Said I didn't change lsmod ext2 to ext4.... Dunno If it makes a Difference....

Mike

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

Miker1029

Jan 4, 2015, 4:47:16 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

set root='(hd0,12)'
recordfail
gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
insmod gzio
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
linux /android-2014-11-10/kernel quiet root=/dev/ram0 SDCARD=/dev/sdb1 androidboot.hardware=android_x86 video=-16 SRC=/android-2014-11-10
initrd /android-2014-11-10/initrd.img

George Turner

Jan 4, 2015, 4:52:05 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Maybe I should try a different stick. Although I don't think I have one that is free at the moment.

I have two different 5.0 installs along side Linux Lite and they are both 972 error free. Getting a 972 error free installed on a stick is proving to be difficult for me.

Mike R

Jan 4, 2015, 4:57:31 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Dunno Like I said I would try it on a HD Partition on GRUB2 and see if you can at least get rid of it...  And I know you know Linux but I'm gonna say it anyway 8-),  You now if you have a Faulty Install in the GRUB2 that it Automatically Searches out the Install...

And Ya,   I did the same ((Install Alongside Linux)), With Your suggestion), that's how I got around the Problem Originally....

Mike

George Turner

Jan 4, 2015, 4:57:59 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On the stick I am using the legacy grub that comes with andriod-x86 not grub2. It should work fine as is and it does so long as the format is ext2.

Mike R

Jan 4, 2015, 4:59:49 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
That Could be The Problem, I'm Using Grub Customizer In Linux Mint 17 (ubuntu 14.04 Base)...

Mike

Miker1029

Jan 4, 2015, 5:02:36 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I've NEVER Had The GRUB Install Work from ANY X86 Installer.... Learned just to do it myself......

Miker1029

Jan 4, 2015, 5:03:37 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
And If I'm remembering Correctly (Been Awhile) I got that error when trying to Use the Installer to Format....

Mike

George Turner

Jan 4, 2015, 7:04:02 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I decided to just go with what works for me. I installed a light weight Linux to the stick and then installed android to the stick.Now I have grub2 and ext4 and the 972 error is gone. Basically just another along side Linux fix.

Ultimately I'm trying to get a stick that will MBR boot and EFI boot. I have a new HP Stream 7 tablet to play with. Unfortunately, the only way so far that I can get the EFI boot to work is with ext2. But at least I got the MBR boot part working today.

Mike Ross

Jan 4, 2015, 7:06:21 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Lol as long as it works!!!  We All Know a NON working playstore is a No-Go... Least You got it...

George Turner

Jan 4, 2015, 7:08:33 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, my real focus is the EFI boot on the Stream 7. I don't really care how I get 972 to go away so long as I can.

Mike Ross

Jan 4, 2015, 7:10:06 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Right, and I don't know Crap About UEFI, Except that in some way You can step it to Boot Legacy, But How I Have No Clue.....

George Turner

Jan 4, 2015, 7:12:52 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I haven't seen a way to do that in the BIOS. I did turn secure boot off. I have been able to get it to boot, but like I said only from ext2 so far.

Mike Ross

Jan 4, 2015, 7:14:16 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Might Be A Windows Thing,  LOL, Wouldn't Surprise me in the Least....

George Turner

Jan 4, 2015, 7:16:18 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Using Win 8.1 on this 7" tablet is quite challenging is the nice way to put it.

Mike Ross

Jan 4, 2015, 7:20:31 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Lol, Bout fell over on that one, 8-) Hey Got this In My E-Mail, Maybe Help Dunno..........

The difference between efi and bios is that they are different types of firmware. Also, most UEFI PCs have bios comparability. If you can boot option 2, at least that part of the equation is solved. My guess is they built the efi image to allow more PCs to boot up the project.

Here is the important bit "Primary support booting from UEFI. Note the installer still doesn't work for GPT partition table. But you may manually install it."

 if your Windows install is done on a GPT partition table, I'd recommend against installing natively. If can't recommend doing the manual install. If you are on the older style MBR partition table, download GParted, shrink down your Windows partition. It will most likely be of NTFS file system. Then proceed to install your version of Android. Again, this only applies if you are installing natively and intend to not wipe your Windows install.

If you installed previous versions of Android natively on your particular hardware, just use option 2 and format over your partition with the previous Android install. Good luck and ask any other question you may have.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-x86/_cL3xSabm0w

George Turner

Jan 4, 2015, 9:31:02 PM1/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Success with the EFI boot on the HP Stream 7. Well, sort of anyway. It boots up. Play services keeps crashing. Worse than 972, lol.

Thomas Hoberg

Feb 19, 2015, 4:14:22 AM2/19/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, January 3, 2015 at 9:21:00 PM UTC+1, Cornel Ungureanu wrote:
> Hey everyone, I wont talk much
>
> The fix is to use the ext4 format for your android partition.
> While the installer does not support ext4 (yet), you need to format it yoursef, and when
> the installer prompts for formating, just choose 'do not format'.
>
> Cheers!!

That's what I tried first, too, and I wound up with grub not being able to boot.
But next I tried an in-place update of the installer generated ext2/3 file system to ext4 and that worked fine.
However, re-installing (did an upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit) seemed to leave the file system in an unbootable state again.

So the in-place update seems to be a one shot solution when you do a full installation but the permanent solution requires and updated installer with ext4 support all the way.

I install from USB to an SSD on an Intel notebook, boot Android once, notice update problems (972) while updating GAPPS.

I shut down the notebook, take out the SSD, put it on a USB connector and hook that to the VM on my PC that I use to build Android, which is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Make sure the USB-SSD isn't mounted and do a
tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index,has_journal /dev/sd<letter-of-usb-ssd>

That seems to satisfy both Android in terms of ext4 features while it doesn't break GRUB and might just be an easy solution for those who cannot wait to have Android x64 running on their PCs.

12GB of free RAM on Android sure was something I've long wanted to see :-)

Keerten Keertesh

Jun 29, 2015, 11:51:21 AM6/29/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
hey how to format a partition to ext4 please help me