Google Assistant

Shawn Peterman

Dec 9, 2017, 1:16:11 AM12/9/17
to Android-x86
Anyone else have Assistant working? I do. I just installed this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trivisionzero.getassistant&hl=en

I wanted to turn a slower netbook into an above average Chromecast launchpad.

Here's my setup:
NextBook 11 Flexx (Came with Windows 10)
Android-x86 7.1 RC2 - (I did a standard install and then had to trick it by creating a directory named "/efi/microsoft/boot/" copying bootia32.efi there and renaming it bootmgfw.efi)
Tons of video apps (ABC, CBS, NBC, AMC, FOX, etc...)
And app called "Set Orientation" to force it into landscape mode
Added a $4 USB mic (because the onboard sound doesn't work)
Add in Google Assistant and it gives me basically the Google equivalent of the Echo Show.
Sit across the room, tell Google to play Stranger Things or Young Sheldon or whatever. Control volume, pause, play, etc etc...
Any questions or suggestions hit me up.

Chih-Wei Huang

Dec 9, 2017, 11:01:23 PM12/9/17
to Android-x86
According to the description of this app,
it needs to modify build.prop.
So I think a read-write installation is a must.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Shawn Peterman

Dec 10, 2017, 12:47:22 AM12/10/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Agreed! Yes, I did a read-write installation. Sometimes the Assistant talks to fast but I'm working on that. Otherwise it's flawless.

Shawn Peterman

Dec 10, 2017, 12:23:21 PM12/10/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I should note also, that this machine is quite stable. It does not lock up. It runs without error until I turn it off.
My to do list on this machine is:
1) Get the sound working. It work with a USB mic and Bluetooth speaker right now but the mic is standard USB and as such only works with the keyboard attached.
2) Fix power button issues. When the power button is pressed the screen goes blank like you would expect an Android machine to do but then it reboots. I'm thinking it's something in the Power settings of the machine not the OS. As a work around I've installed two apps: Blackr and Button Mapper. Which have allowed me to use other soft buttons to black the screen.
3) Fix the auto-rotate. For now the "Set Orientation" app is only a minor nuisance.

Note: I keep reading that youling257 has basically fixed these issues, I've downloaded his work and may yet apply it but I'm having fun figuring these things out for myself at the moment.

Shawn Peterman

Mar 9, 2018, 3:58:25 PM3/9/18
to Android-x86
Now the Assistant has started talking too fast sometimes. I've changed from Pico TTS to Google and lowered the rate of speech. Doesn't seem to help. Not a mission critical issue but any input would be appreciated :-)