remove KEYBOARD support in Build

Kevin Peterson

Feb 29, 2016, 11:19:59 PM2/29/16
to Android-x86
How do I remove the physical keyboard for a VM build completely?

Reason is I want to only have the virtualkeyboard and I can't keep it in place and have to constantly enable it in Settings (doesn't stay for some reason).

So I thought the solution would be to completely remove the physical keyboard. I went to FRAMEWORK/native/lib/inputs/ and removed all the keyboard stuff but I keep getting a plethora of errors since a lot of stuff is related to it.

Any other approach?

Thank you
-KP

Chih-Wei Huang

Mar 1, 2016, 2:08:04 AM3/1/16
to Android-x86
Use excluded-input-devices.xml

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Kevin Peterson

Mar 1, 2016, 6:21:27 PM3/1/16
to Android-x86
Sadly doesn't work. The physical Keyboard still works and when I go to Setting to disable it (attached picture) and turn my VM of (it's installed on my laptop) and turn it back on ALL changed settings remain EXCEPT for the keyboard. Virtual Keyoboard turns back off.

I did this, under:
device/generic/x86/excluded-input-devices.xml
which had:

<devices>
    <device name="Power Button" />
</devices>

I put

<devices>
    <device name="Power Button" />
    <device name="Keyboard" />
</devices>

Built and nothing.
keyboard.tiff

Chih-Wei Huang

Mar 1, 2016, 8:39:57 PM3/1/16
to Android-x86
> Sadly doesn't work. The physical Keyboard still works and when I go to
> Setting to disable it (attached picture) and turn my VM of (it's installed
> on my laptop) and turn it back on ALL changed settings remain EXCEPT for the
> keyboard. Virtual Keyoboard turns back off.
>
> I did this, under:
> device/generic/x86/excluded-input-devices.xml
> which had:
>
> <devices>
> <device name="Power Button" />
> </devices>
>
> I put
>
> <devices>
> <device name="Power Button" />
> <device name="Keyboard" />
> </devices>
>
> Built and nothing.

Please search and read more info
before you tried and error.

The device name is the input queue name
recognized by the kernel.
"Keyboard" is definitely not correct.
The simplest way to get the name
is to use the getevent tool.
Also note you need to disable all input queues
recognized as the keyboard type.

Kevin Peterson

Mar 1, 2016, 9:25:48 PM3/1/16
to Android-x86
Yea you are right, that was dumb of me to not spend some more time looking into it.

It turns out it is explained in previous posts on how to enable. Thank you though and sorry for posting this without spending some more time looking.

Kindest,
-KP