Network support for multiple phisical nics

Luca Barbato

Jul 5, 2018, 11:45:14 AM7/5/18
to Android-x86
I have a system with 2 eth.

By default android brings up only one of the two interfaces and ignores the other.

When I try to bring the second one up the results are quite random partially because it maps eth0 and eth1 in an unpredictable way.

Anybody could point me to either netd documentation (if there is something that can be done there) or where the udev rules can be changed/added so that the network devices can be either pinned or renamed properly?

Trying to have dhcpcd manage them works until netd doesn't randomly interact causing some quite bizantine (and broken) routing.

I'm testing with the current oreo branch.

lu

Chih-Wei Huang

Jul 5, 2018, 11:40:46 PM7/5/18
to Android-x86
> I have a system with 2 eth.
> By default android brings up only one of the two interfaces and ignores the
> other.
>
> When I try to bring the second one up the results are quite random partially
> because it maps eth0 and eth1 in an unpredictable way.

Right. It depends on which driver is loaded first.

> Anybody could point me to either netd documentation (if there is something
> that can be done there) or where the udev rules can be changed/added so that
> the network devices can be either pinned or renamed properly?
>
> Trying to have dhcpcd manage them works until netd doesn't randomly interact
> causing some quite bizantine (and broken) routing.
>
> I'm testing with the current oreo branch.

If you just want to use one interface, you can unload (rmmod)
the driver of the other interface, or just remove the driver
from /system/lib/modules/... (suppose your system is read-write).

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

luca barbato

Jul 6, 2018, 10:55:44 AM7/6/18
to andro...@googlegroups.com
The 2 nics are identical, and ideally I would use both (possibly one
as passthrough/tether.

netd sadly makes everything totally unpredictable.

luca barbato

Jul 13, 2018, 10:47:18 AM7/13/18
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Actually I discovered that the support for multiple eth is available
from android P.

(meanwhile the current tree is still not having a working wifi support)