RTL8723BS Bluetooth with 8.1R2

BrokenE39

Jul 1, 2019, 8:47:22 PM7/1/19
to Android-x86
I just want to confirm with other users with the same RTL8723BS wifi / bluetooth chip on 8.1R2 if they are observing the same problem as I do. I have a Bluetooth headset that can be detected by my Samsung phone but not with my tablet. Here are a few things I observed:

1. The scan button (the round arrow button) doesn't seem to work or at least seem like not reacting when I press on it
2. Turn on option to see Bluetooth devices with names and I do see something in the device list but can't pair with it

In kernel configuration, I turned off LE and HS options to see if they have any impact on the behavior but I'm seeing the same thing. I then ensure the com.android.bluetooth package is enabled and check hciconfig to see if Bluetooth is actually up (and it is up). It used to work in 7.x but the audio and video would desync / lag badly. I understand this chipset isn't exactly the best and I do have a separate Bluetooth transmitter via audio jack that I can use. Just want to see if someone out there has successfully got this chipset to work correctly.

Paul Dixon

Jul 2, 2019, 8:17:48 AM7/2/19
to Android-x86
I have the same issues and would love to know a resolution too.

Daniel Cheung

Jul 2, 2019, 7:35:51 PM7/2/19
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I tried to replace the firmware files per this thread:

No luck but somehow my tablet manage to pick up my neighbor's TV but not my headset that's right next to it. I'm going to try another headset and see if that works but at the moment I have little hopes of this working.

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 5:17 AM Paul Dixon <pdi...@pauldixon.co> wrote:
I have the same issues and would love to know a resolution too.

Jose Luis s

Jul 9, 2019, 11:09:34 AM7/9/19
to Android-x86
Hello.
I've explained in other threads that in my case (8.1 r1, not updated yet) I manage to get BT working only after overwrite the original firmware files with the files in my original 4.4.4 Android-IA partition, renaming them to properly.

Hope it helps in your case.

No issues after that, headsets, keyboard and even BT4 -LE sensor devices work.

El miércoles, 3 de julio de 2019, 1:35:51 (UTC+2), BrokenE39 escribió:
I tried to replace the firmware files per this thread:

No luck but somehow my tablet manage to pick up my neighbor's TV but not my headset that's right next to it. I'm going to try another headset and see if that works but at the moment I have little hopes of this working.

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 5:17 AM Paul Dixon <pdi...@pauldixon.co> wrote:
I have the same issues and would love to know a resolution too.

Daniel Cheung

Jul 9, 2019, 7:41:42 PM7/9/19
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, there wasn't any Android-IA for my device. I wonder if I can just copy the firmware files off 7.2 and paste it in 8.1 R2 and see if that works.

Paul Dixon

Jul 11, 2019, 10:38:26 PM7/11/19
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Did copy and pasting work?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Android-x86" group.

Daniel Cheung

Jul 11, 2019, 11:01:54 PM7/11/19
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Haven't try yet, will do it this weekend.

Daniel Cheung

Jul 13, 2019, 9:29:09 PM7/13/19
to andro...@googlegroups.com
So I tried some experiments with replacing firmware found in /system/lib/firmware/rtl_bt folder.

1. Notice 4.4, 6.0, and 7.1 source files doesn't have any rtl8723bs files in their respective rtl_bt folder
2. Tried replacing the rtl_bt folder in 8.1 R2 with 7.1 R2 but that broke Bluetooth settings completely (crashes)

So Jose, what exactly did you do to replace the firmware? We need more details as in what files did you replace and did you copy the files to the kernel source and compile the ISO.