Ethernet Support

Thê Youmz

Apr 10, 2018, 1:32:16 PM4/10/18
to Android-x86
Android mounts my modem as a removable drive when I boot from BIOS.
Two weeks now ive been searching for how to get wired internet work on androidx86

In vain, no single clue... So must I buy a PCI Wifi card?

Antony Stone

Apr 10, 2018, 2:06:42 PM4/10/18
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday 10 April 2018 at 19:32:16, Thê Youmz wrote:

> Android mounts my modem as a removable drive when I boot from BIOS.

Is that a USB GSM modem thingy?

If so, it sounds like you need to disable the onboard storage device which
most of those USB stick contain (it stores the device drivers needed to use it
under Windows).

> Two weeks now ive been searching for how to get wired internet work on
> androidx86

Wired? Okay, now I'm confused - you're trying to get wired ethernet on
Android using a modem?

> In vain, no single clue... So must I buy a PCI Wifi card?

What is the device you are starting from?

Antony.

--
Wanted: telepath. You know where to apply.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Thê Youmz

Apr 10, 2018, 2:15:53 PM4/10/18
to Android-x86
Thank you for responding
Sorry if quoting the whole text disturbs, if there is some cleaner way to respond please let me know
I use HP tower desktop and I go online on windows with a Huawei 4G modem, through usb 2.0 cord, that is why I referred to the internet setup as "wired".
Hope I am not mistaken.

Android simply mounts the modem as a usb drive, so I guess I have to tweak something to change that behavior, but I dont know what to do.

Virtual box easily emulates the Ethernet connection, but it is really slow on my 3.6ghz I3 with 6gb of ram

Booting it through bios is scary fast and smooth, but no internet through modem

Antony Stone

Apr 10, 2018, 2:25:51 PM4/10/18
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday 10 April 2018 at 20:15:52, Thê Youmz wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 7:06:42 PM UTC+1, Antony Stone wrote:
> >
> > What is the device you are starting from?

> Thank you for responding
> Sorry if quoting the whole text disturbs, if there is some cleaner way to
> respond please let me know

Personally, I far prefer inline quoting, as I am doing here:

1. I delete anything from the previous message which is no longer of direct
relevance

2. I make sure the previous message is correctly quoted (using ">" symbols) so
that it's clear what I'm writing new and what I'm replying to

3. I reply to each comment I want to respond to, immediately underneath it

> I use HP tower desktop and I go online on windows with a Huawei 4G modem,
> through usb 2.0 cord, that is why I referred to the internet setup as
> "wired".
> Hope I am not mistaken.

Most people would not call that "wired" at all.

A "wired" Internet connection means an ethernet cable going to a switch.

A "wireless" connection means 802.11 (often called "wifi") going to an access
point.

Yours is a GSM / 3G / 4G connection, using the mobile phone network.

I don't know anyone who would call that "wired".

> Android simply mounts the modem as a usb drive, so I guess I have to tweak
> something to change that behavior, but I dont know what to do.

Look up "usb_modeswitch" for information about what needs doing here.

Depending on which specific device you have, it may be possible to permanently
disable the storage device; however some need doing on every restart of the
computer - I'll let someone who knows more about how Android deals with such
devices comment on whether that can be done in the same way as Linux manages
it.

> Virtual box easily emulates the Ethernet connection, but it is really slow
> on my 3.6ghz I3 with 6gb of ram
>
> Booting it through bios is scary fast and smooth, but no internet through
> modem

What alternative methods of Internet connectivity do you have:

- do you have a switch which you could plug into with a cable?

- do you have a wireless access point you could connect to?

Regards,

Antony.

--
Users don't know what they want until they see what they get.

Thê Youmz

Apr 10, 2018, 2:51:46 PM4/10/18
to Android-x86

> Personally, I far prefer inline quoting, as I am doing here:

> 1. I delete anything from the previous message which is no longer of direct
relevance

> 2. I make sure the previous message is correctly quoted (using ">" symbols) so
that it's clear what I'm writing new and what I'm replying to

> 3. I reply to each comment I want to respond to, immediately underneath it

I got it thank you

>Most people would not call that "wired" at all.

> Yours is a GSM / 3G / 4G connection, using the mobile phone network.

>I don't know anyone who would call that "wired".

Got this too.

> > Android simply mounts the modem as a usb drive, so I guess I have to tweak
> > something to change that behavior, but I dont know what to do.

> Look up "usb_modeswitch" for information about what needs doing here.

> Depending on which specific device you have, it may be possible to permanently
disable the storage device; however some need doing on every restart of the
computer - I'll let someone who knows more about how Android deals with such
devices comment on whether that can be done in the same way as Linux manages
it.

That will solve my problem, no one else seams to have this problem, they surely have bought wifi cards, or use laptops

> > Virtual box easily emulates the Ethernet connection, but it is really slow
> > on my 3.6ghz I3 with 6gb of ram
> >
> > Booting it through bios is scary fast and smooth, but no internet through
> > modem

> What alternative methods of Internet connectivity do you have:

>  - do you have a switch which you could plug into with a cable?

 > - do you have a wireless access point you could connect to?

This modem works through usb cord and wirelessly, the only way I get online with this pc running linux and windows and my phone. If it is not possible to get GSM modem to work I will simply add a pci wifi card.

Kossuth

Apr 11, 2018, 1:36:32 AM4/11/18
to Android-x86

On Tuesday, 10 April 2018 21:51:46 UTC+3, Thê Youmz wrote:

That will solve my problem, no one else seams to have this problem, they surely have bought wifi cards, or use laptops

This modem works through usb cord and wirelessly, the only way I get online with this pc running linux and windows and my phone. If it is not possible to get GSM modem to work I will simply add a pci wifi card.

Many desktop PC computer have built in ethernet cards in their motherboards, so I think that most of the folks using Android x86 on desktop Computers, just use the wired ethernet for their network connection. All the motherborads I've tested with x86 have had supported ethernet chips, so the networking has worked out of the box (ofcourse only on DHCP, not manually).

Thê Youmz

Apr 11, 2018, 5:06:49 AM4/11/18
to Android-x86

On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 6:36:32 AM UTC+1, Kossuth wrote:

> Many desktop PC computer have built in ethernet cards in their motherboards, so I think that most of the folks using Android x86 on desktop Computers, just use the wired ethernet for their network connection. All the motherborads I've tested with x86 have had supported ethernet chips, so the networking has worked out of the box (ofcourse only on DHCP, not manually).

I have not setup an Ethernet connection, so I am looking for how to get this os connect to the internet through my usb gsm modem. Ubuntu gets connected without any problem, so a tweak in android x86 should get the job done. Since everyone has other connection methods I understand why I could not find a solution after googling for so long