How do i boot to Android?

Scripter Provider

Feb 28, 2021, 9:28:36 PM2/28/21
to Android-x86
I dualbooted my device with Windows 10 and Android 8.1 but "Choose an operating system" is not appearing. (yes im using a UEFI device). How do i boot to android????

AnonymouSW

Mar 1, 2021, 11:11:27 PM3/1/21
to Android-x86
First things first, make sure that you have actually installed the Android x86 bootloader. You may verify that through the UEFI settings.
If it is, and if you don't want to keep on using the UEFI settings to switch OSes, you will need to either…
  • set the Android x86 bootloader as the default boot option
  • use another bootloader as the default.
    • There are multiple bootloaders out there, but the one that I have tested out is by the name of Clover
      • Please search it up manually and download it.
      • Extract the file until you a get a folder. Once you reach there, go to the next step.
    • You will need to create another partition to copy and paste the contents of the bootloader.
      • I have tested using FAT32 or FAT16 for this, but if ExFAT works, go ahead.
      • Set the allocation size to the smallest as possible (and the smallest that works).
    • Set that bootloader as the default boot option in the UEFI settings.
Both will allow you to select between Windows and Android x86.

I hope that answers your question!

Bradley Smith

Mar 8, 2021, 12:07:39 AM3/8/21
to Android-x86
On my Lenovo I did just this.  In short you do this
- reduce the size of your C: drive with windows 10 disk management
- using grub2win you can replace your master boot record (MBR) and have it default to windows and if you select boot android.

If you need I can post my grub config.  Also what I did was to get grub to just boot windows, then I added android.  Also I created a a usb boot repair so that if I messed up my MBR, I could get it back.  I will say it took me like a 2 weeks to finally get it working, and I didn't need the fixit usb drive.

good luck

Scripter Provider

Mar 8, 2021, 12:27:12 AM3/8/21
to Android-x86
yes you should post your grub configuration.
Message has been deleted

crw

Mar 8, 2021, 2:44:06 AM3/8/21
to Android-x86
First install Grub2Win bootloader, then add Android-x86 to it, This is my config.
Change /Android-x86 to the name of the folder in which your android files reside (system, data, ramdisk, initrd.img)
# Make sure screen is not glitched
# set gfxpayload=1366x768
# Make sure video is working
insmod all_video
# Set the timeout for the submenu
set timeout=3
# Set the default variable to the submenu entry you prefer
set default=0
# Blind savelast function to workaround grub2win bug with it
function savelast {
return 0
}
menuentry 'Boot with all kernel optimization flags' {
search --set=root --file /Android-x86/kernel
linux /Android-x86/kernel quiet noibrs noibpb nopti nospectre_v2 nospectre_v1 l1tf=off nospec_store_bypass_disable no_stf_barrier mds=off mitigations=off root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=android_x86_64 androidboot.selinux=permissive acpi_sleep=s3_bios,s3_mode SRC=/Android-x86
initrd /Android-x86/initrd.img

Bradley Smith

Mar 10, 2021, 9:30:18 PM3/10/21
to Android-x86