How to root the android?

1729 views
Skip to first unread message

camelorange

unread,
Feb 25, 2010, 6:41:24 AM2/25/10
to Android-x86
Since we don't have have root permissions here, it's really
unconvenient. Therefore, I'm wondering is there a way to gain the root
priviledge in android? If so, how?

Thanks.

Yi Sun

unread,
Feb 25, 2010, 12:14:11 PM2/25/10
to andro...@googlegroups.com
there is a su command in the terminal emulator

> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Android-x86" group.
> To post to this group, send email to andro...@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to android-x86...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86?hl=en.
>
>

--
Android-x86
http://www.android-x86.org

camelorange

unread,
Feb 25, 2010, 11:18:09 PM2/25/10
to Android-x86
Thank you for you reply, Yi!

Yes, we can use su to login as root in a terminal, but that's not what
I want.

I want to ROOT the system, which means we use the root account all the
time, not just in a terminal. To put it in another way, I want to
crack the system.

There are some videos about rooting a android phone on Youtube.com,
but I don't know how to do it on a netbook.

On 2月26日, 上午2时14分, Yi Sun <beyo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> there is a su command in the terminal emulator
>

Chih-Wei Huang

unread,
Feb 26, 2010, 3:17:27 AM2/26/10
to andro...@googlegroups.com
When you do su, you are the root -- that means you
can do anything you want.
But remember /system in android-x86 is read-only.
So you cannot modify the filesystem even you're root.

If you'd like to modify the filesystem, it's better
to build a customized image from source.

People want to "crack" an mobile phone because
the vendors don't release the source code,
so developers try to "crack" the system in
non-standard or even illegal ways.
This is meaningless for android-x86,
because we provide the full source code,
you can modify anything you want,
if you know how to do.

What exactly do you want to do?

在 2010年2月26日下午12:18,camelorange <camelo...@gmail.com> 寫道:
> Thank you for you reply, Yi!
>
> Yes, we can use su to login as root in a terminal, but that's not what
> I want.
>
> I want to ROOT the system, which means we use the root account all the
> time, not just in a terminal. To put it in another way, I want to
> crack the system.
>
> There are some videos about rooting a android phone on Youtube.com,
> but I don't know how to do it on a netbook.
>

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org

camelorange

unread,
Feb 26, 2010, 11:48:22 AM2/26/10
to Android-x86
For example, when I want to create a new folder in File explorer, I
just can't do it because I am not root. When I download a new program,
I can't install it because I am not root.

So I want to gain the power to do these kind of opeartions freely,
without using the terminal emulator. That is, I want to be the root
all the time, so that I am allowed to do anything I want(without the
terminal emulator).

Is that possible? ^_^

On 2月26日, 下午5时17分, Chih-Wei Huang <cwhu...@android-x86.org> wrote:
> When you do su, you are the root -- that means you
> can do anything you want.
> But remember /system in android-x86 is read-only.
> So you cannot modify the filesystem even you're root.
>
> If you'd like to modify the filesystem, it's better
> to build a customized image from source.
>
> People want to "crack" an mobile phone because
> the vendors don't release the source code,
> so developers try to "crack" the system in
> non-standard or even illegal ways.
> This is meaningless for android-x86,
> because we provide the full source code,
> you can modify anything you want,
> if you know how to do.
>
> What exactly do you want to do?
>

Chih-Wei Huang

unread,
Feb 26, 2010, 9:41:41 PM2/26/10
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Each process executes in its designed permissions.
Unless you change the security model of Android
to have all processes executed in root context,
(which is a very big effort, and definitely breaks
Andrond's security policy)
it is not possible to do that.

However, of course you can download and install an
Android application, even without root permission.
See the App Howto.
And you can easily create a folder in a terminal,
provided that location is writeable.
(as I said, some part of android-x86 is read-only, no way to modify it)
So it's not worthy to do that.

2010/2/27 camelorange <camelo...@gmail.com>:


> For example, when I want to create a new folder in File explorer, I
> just can't do it because I am not root. When I download a new program,
> I can't install it because I am not root.
>
> So I want to gain the power to do these kind of opeartions freely,
> without using the terminal emulator. That is, I want to be the root
> all the time, so that I am allowed to do anything I want(without the
> terminal emulator).
>
> Is that possible? ^_^

camelorange

unread,
Feb 27, 2010, 12:02:46 AM2/27/10
to Android-x86
thanks for the clarification, I've found my answer.

On 2月27日, 上午11时41分, Chih-Wei Huang <cwhu...@android-x86.org> wrote:
> Each process executes in its designed permissions.
> Unless you change the security model of Android
> to have all processes executed in root context,
> (which is a very big effort, and definitely breaks
> Andrond's security policy)
> it is not possible to do that.
>
> However, of course you can download and install an
> Android application, even without root permission.
> See the App Howto.
> And you can easily create a folder in a terminal,
> provided that location is writeable.
> (as I said, some part of android-x86 is read-only, no way to modify it)
> So it's not worthy to do that.
>

> 2010/2/27 camelorange <camelorang...@gmail.com>:

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages