question : ./hardware/gps is not working after build oreo-x86 / else.

YoungJoon Lee

Apr 11, 2019, 8:51:47 PM4/11/19
to Android-x86
Hello, thank you for reading.

I build oreo with next device.mk.

 cat ./device/generic/x86_64/android_x86_64.mk
#
# Copyright (C) 2014 The Android-x86 Open Source Project
#
# Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
# you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
# You may obtain a copy of the License at
#
#
# Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
# distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
# WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
# See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
# limitations under the License.
#

GAPPS_VARIANT := nano
PRODUCT_PACKAGES += Chrome
PRODUCT_PACKAGES += Maps
GAPPS_EXCLUDED_PACKAGES := PrebuiltGmsCoreInstantApps

PRODUCT_PROPERTY_OVERRIDES := \
    ro.kernel.android.gps=ttyUSB0 \
    ro.kernel.android.gpsttybaud=9600

$(call inherit-product,build/target/product/languages_full.mk)

# includes the base of Android-x86 platform
$(call inherit-product,device/generic/common/x86_64.mk)

$(call inherit-product,vendor/opengapps/build/opengapps-packages.mk)

# Overrides
PRODUCT_NAME := android_x86_64
PRODUCT_BRAND := Android-x86
PRODUCT_DEVICE := x86_64
PRODUCT_MODEL := Generic Android-x86_64

Here is readme of GPS.
cat ./hardware/gps/README.md
Android Serial GPS Driver

How to use:

To set serial port, add a property "ro.kernel.android.gps" and set it equal to your GPS device file.
ie. ro.kernel.android.gps=ttyO1

Default baud rate is 9600, to adjust add a property "ro.kernel.android.gpsttybaud" and set it equal to the needed rate. (4800-115200)
ie. ro.kernel.android.gpsttybaud=9600

Notes:
* If using a USB device make sure you have the necessary kernel modules loaded or built in to the kernel.
* Make sure the permissions on your device file are correct

Donate:
If you find any of this useful and want to show appreciation see below:

PayPal: ~~~
Bitcoin: ~~~

I sync my new build to repo with branch -b oreo-x86.(What I have used is nougat) In nougat, GPS is working with approach above. But in oreo, it is not working. /dev/ttyUSB0 is not busy. It looks like driver is not using /dev/ttyUSB0.

Q1. How can I check driver is working or not? lsmod said kernel module of gps(usb serial) is loaded succesfully.

Q2. I build opengapps with nano / exclude one package PrebuiltGmsCoreInstantApps. Because many people do same when I build nougat.(2018/01/xx) Some people said this package make system unstable. How about now? I have to exclude some package which is not stable?

Q3. I have using application which is check PlayStore's subscription list. When I push 'check purchase list and restore' Button, system said you have not purchase yet. But in tablet PC, I can restore purchase history. It looks like it is opengapps issue. which opengapps package doing this? When I build nougat, I was using micro and PRODUCT_PACKAGES += GooglePlus. But using nano in this time.(Without GooglePlus) Is this can be reason?

Thank you very much for reading. Best regards.

eeen eeen

May 12, 2019, 7:33:20 PM5/12/19
to Android-x86
Hi All! Any update on the GPS issue? I'm facing the same problem... GPS support was ok before oreo, but waze is unstable, problemous on them. Now waze looks stable on oreo, but GPS support gone... any hints?

YoungJoon Lee

May 16, 2019, 3:57:35 AM5/16/19
to Android-x86
Hi, eeen eeen. I still cannot solve this problem. It looks like HAL interface of GPS is changed on Oreo.

Please  share me information when you solve the problem.

2019년 5월 13일 월요일 오전 8시 33분 20초 UTC+9, eeen eeen 님의 말: