Android-x86 on VirtualBox

Ye Roger

May 28, 2015, 2:53:55 PM5/28/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
You may be aware of Android x86 based emulators such as Genymotion or Andy. They can run Android efficiently on VirtualBox. I am just wondering how much work need to do to run Android x86 on VirtualBox with the below features:
  1. Support VirtualBox specific kernel modules vboxguest.ko,  vboxsf.ko and  vboxvideo.ko
  2. With this, we should be able to share files with host and change screen resolution
  3. OpenGLES support
Anybody has an idea on this ?

Regards,
Roger

Povilas Staniulis

May 28, 2015, 3:39:18 PM5/28/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Most Android emulators (Genymotion, Andy, DuOS, etc.) use a version of VirtualBox for virtualization, using VBoxHeadless and a custom UI frontend.
But most emulate video card in software (except DuOS, which uses host system's video card) which is extremely slow.

Frederik Carlier

May 30, 2015, 2:51:09 AM5/30/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

The graphics in Genymotion is pretty fast, actually.

As far as I know, the Genymotion player, which runs on the VM host, is responsible for rendering of the Android graphics. It uses a TCP protocol to offload the OpenGL rendering from the VM guest (the emulator) to the VM host (the PC).

Some information is available here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/genymotion-users/T-qmjmgXrCE

When Genymotion was still called AndroVM, AndroVM was open source; but it seems that when they changed it to Genymotion, all the source have been pulled from Github, so I don’t have more specifics.

Frederik.

Sergey Korshunoff

May 31, 2015, 5:41:10 AM5/31/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
> As far as I know, the Genymotion player, which runs on the VM host, is responsible for rendering of the Android graphics. It uses a TCP protocol to offload the OpenGL rendering from the VM guest (the emulator) to the VM host (the PC).

As I understand there must be a VirtualBox addtion which emulates a
videocard something like SPICE-KVM. In such case a Genymotion player
is a spice player

Ye Roger

May 31, 2015, 10:57:13 PM5/31/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
The goal is to have an optimized version of Android-x86 on VirtualBox. How can we add VirtualBox addtion support in the existing Android-x86 code base so that we can have a similar experience just like other Linux guests on VirtualBox.