[Guide] Install and Triple Boot Android-x86 v4.3 with Windows 8 and Debian Linux on GPT Partition

Euphoria Angel

Sep 14, 2013, 5:18:12 AM9/14/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com

This guide will help you install Android-x86 on GPT Hard Disk. As you all know the android native installer (which is based on grub 1) only knows MBR scheme. So when you try to install it on a Hard Disk with GPT (GUID Partition Table), the installer just sees whole disk space as a unified partition. This is because of something named Protective MBR which has been put into GPT for limited backward compatibility with MBR Disk tools which don't understand GPT.

I was struggling a lot to make this android work on my Sony Vaio Duo 11 as the android experience was very fluid and ARM translator worked perfectly. Also because of Linux Kernel 3.10 in android-x86 v4.3 my touchscreen works and that transfers my laptop to 11.6 inch superfast android tablet. By superfast I mean fast boot time and high Antutu Benchmark Score of 48800. Well, this is Ivy Bridge, not some lazy ARM. I wasted lots of time trying to use something named Hybrid MBR which help you create MBR definition for some of your GPT partitions. But Windows 8 didn’t liked it at all and forced me every time to reinstall and reformat my hard drive. But finally I did it using a simpler approach.

Anyway, this is what I’ve done to achieve this goal:

1. Install Windows and your other favorite OS'es:

Yeah. First task is to install all your Operating Systems except Android-x86. I personally installed Windows 8 first, and let it make as much as partition it wants. After Windows installation, 3 partitions were created by windows. One 100MB reserved partition, one 300MB EFI partition and one 40GB Windows partition. The rest of space was still unallocated. As you may know, on systems which have implemented EFI, windows will force you to use it, and you can't use MBR legacy mode for windows.

So after windows installation I had 3 partitions and EFI boot to windows.

Next I installed my Debian based iso named "Kali Linux". Before starting the installation process I went to BIOS settings and changed UEFI to Legacy mode as my OS wasn’t able to boot from UEFI. But it understood GPT partitions correctly and got installed. If you installed your Linux OS and were able to boot to Linux after restart, there are high chances that you had installed grub 2 successfully. This is good as we want to replace our old android grub with this one.

2. Create Grub Boot Partition:

I didn’t know this. But on GPT partitions you may need to make a little partition (like 100MB) for Grub Booting process and flag it to GRUB BIOS or something like that. I did this using GParted.  Just create a new partition using GParted with not more than 100MB space. then using GParted again flag it for Grub Boot.

3. Install android-x86 on an MBR partition and copy the contents to a GPT partition
yes. we need the android files, and we just need to copy them. Here is what I did:
first. I put android-x86 iso on one of my cooldisks and boot it. then using its installer, I formatted my other cooldisk to ext3 and installed android on it. next I booted up a live Linux (like Ubuntu live) and copied installed contents in my cooldisk to a partition in my hard drive.
this is important to note the partition number that you copied android on it (for example sda8 in my case)
4. Boot with a Linux live cd (or your installed Linux OS) and add grub entries for android to the grub

first, as I said note your android partition number (like /dev/sda8)
second, note the location of kernel and initrd.img in your android partition.
kernel: /android-4.3-test/kernel
initrd image file: /android-4.3-test/initrd.img

third,
 add this to grub custom menu (located in /etc/grub.d/40_custom) after all entries:

menuentry "Android 4.3" {
set root=(hd0,8)
linux /android-4.3-test/kernel quiet root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=android_x86 SRC=/android-4.3-test DATA= video=-16
initrd /android-4.3-test/initrd.img
}

you may change (hd0,8) entry based on your android partition location (hd0,2 for sda2 - hd0,6 for sda6 - hd2,3 for sdc3)

done.

Euphoria Angel

Sep 23, 2013, 11:35:35 AM9/23/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
i forgot to mention that after the last step run "update-grub" so your grub modifications get applied.

After a week of usage, this is what i android-x86 means on Vaio Duo 11:

Pros:
  • Fast boot time
  • fast android experience
  • audio working great
  • video playback working (via mxplayer and x86 mx video libs)
  • 95% of tried apps worked
  • able to mount my other partitions (after rooting android and using paragon ntfs+hfs app)

Cons:
  • touchscreen is not working for few seconds after booting. (you need to use optical trackpad for unlocking the screen at startup)
  • None of sensors working (Rotation, Accelerometer, gyro, magnetometer, ...)
  • Cameras not working
  • makes laptop pretty hot after some usage
  • need to disable hardware keyboard in settings every time i boot it up

Any help on the problems appreciated.

Greg M

Sep 23, 2013, 8:12:50 PM9/23/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I found 2 options for the keyboard both in google play store.
Quick Keyboard Switch - puts a widget on the home screen for the "Choose Input Method"
Hackers Keyboard - set it for default and set the setting "Show Soft Keyboard" Always
For the lock screen just disable it in the security settings.

Euphoria Angel

Sep 24, 2013, 8:48:07 AM9/24/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Hackers keyboard solved my problem, but app name is weird :)
Also disabling sliding lock helped omitting standby. but these are workarounds.

It would be much better if hardware keyboard gets disabled automatically when Duo is in Tablet mode, seems people had done this on other tablet pc's.

tsukishiro

Oct 4, 2013, 2:32:22 AM10/4/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
HI Euphoria Angel,

Thanks so much for your guide.
I followed it almost every step of the way, except instead of Kali Linux I used Ubuntu 12.04.3.
I now have all 3 OSes installed in UEFI mode and GPT partitions.
My problem is when I boot Android, I get stucked at root prompt and SysRq : Emergency remount R/O error before the system reboots.
Do you have an idea what causes this?

Hoping for your reply.
Thanks and best regards,

Daniel Keane

Nov 2, 2013, 5:14:53 AM11/2/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the help works spot cheers!

qq67...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2014, 1:03:54 AM2/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

在 2013年9月14日星期六UTC+8下午5时18分12秒,Euphoria Angel写道:

Li Tan

Feb 26, 2014, 12:46:32 AM2/26/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I will this guide with android 4.4 instead of android 4.3. I got kernel panic... Please help, thanks.
Message has been deleted

Euphoria Angel

Feb 27, 2014, 5:02:20 PM2/27/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

I installed 4.4 few days ago with the same method. No problems occurred.Actually since I had 4.3 before, I just copied new files to my android partition and it was done.

Li Tan

Feb 27, 2014, 6:16:12 PM2/27/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Did you copy everything inside the 4.4 iso and replace with the 4.3 files?

eupho...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2014, 6:54:09 PM2/27/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
no. i installed android 4.4 temporarily on a cooldisk (not just made it bootable, installed as it is a hdd partition) then opened it via a linux distro and copied files to my android partition on my hdd.

Anwar X

Mar 1, 2014, 2:56:30 PM3/1/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
dear Euphoria
i'm following you tutorial before and successful installing android 4.3 on cooldisk and copy the content to another gpt partition without problem

but after that when the 4.4 x86 arrive i do the same method without luck and it give me kernel panic

i tried to  format the gpt partition to ex2 and ext3 without any luck

also i upgraded the grub2 and edit it to match the new 4.4 kernel and initrd

without any luck can you advise me

best regards

thanks

eupho...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2014, 12:13:31 AM3/3/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Maybe the new version is not compatible with your system.
although the 2 versions are so alike, nothing special changed for me. Still the same errors, no webcam support, some apps dont install (same as 4.3), ART not working, sensors not working, still cant install it in system read/write mode. basically just the number changed.

Anwar X

Mar 4, 2014, 4:23:56 PM3/4/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
hmmm i have vaio duo 11 i think like yours :) so did u change the kernel to that came with 4,4 ?
can you format your android and reinstall it with this method if you have duo 11

best regards

Cassio Davi Emer

Mar 10, 2014, 9:03:28 AM3/10/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Euphoria Angel, which version of GRUB2 are you using?

I have the same problem as Li Tan (kernel panic) using GRUB 2.00-19ubuntu2.1 that comes with Ubuntu 13.10.

However if I use GRUB 0.97 that comes with Android-x86 4.4 RC1 (on MBR USB stick) I am able to boot Android that was copied to an ext3 GPT partition.

Thanks.

Li Tan

Mar 17, 2014, 5:31:26 PM3/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
The reason that we got panic in 4.4 is because the efivar is on for 4.4. (It was off on 4.3) I don't know how to turn it off then make a build:(

Chih-Wei Huang

Mar 17, 2014, 9:34:13 PM3/17/14
to Android-x86
> The reason that we got panic in 4.4 is because the efivar is on for 4.4. (It
> was off on 4.3) I don't know how to turn it off then make a build:(

Just remove the line CONFIG_EFI_VARS in
kernel/arch/x86/configs/android-x86_defconfig
and rebuild the iso_img.

Li Tan

Mar 18, 2014, 12:06:58 AM3/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chih-Wei

midi jari

Mar 19, 2014, 3:29:52 PM3/19/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
can I download the kernel only?

scu...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2014, 4:14:54 AM3/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
hi,did u rebuild the new kernel with the efivar off?if u have done ,would you like to share the new kernel , i need it for booting my surface pro 1,thanks.

Euphoria Angel

Mar 23, 2014, 12:28:00 PM3/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

I guess its a grub issue. I used stock grubbed shipped with kali linux 1.0.6, i dont remember the version, but i will post when i get home.

Since I'm using the kitkat version with this method, i guess you shouldnt have any problem with that grub version.

Li Tan

Mar 23, 2014, 7:33:46 PM3/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I rebuilt the iso image with config_efi_vars off, it works like a charm.

Anwar X

Mar 23, 2014, 11:27:06 PM3/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
please attach the zimage here so any one want to fix it should download it
best regards

Li Tan

Mar 24, 2014, 1:12:07 AM3/24/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
What is zimage? I will just share the built iso image. https://app.box.com/s/752bd9qamxygq16kvg9p

Licheng.Li

Mar 24, 2014, 11:39:36 AM3/24/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

got it,i can boot my surface pro with 4.4 rc1 now::),tks.

midi jari

Mar 25, 2014, 6:11:08 PM3/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
hahahah zImage is the kernel used in some Galaxy S phones, he meant the kernel file only :D AND THANK YOU FOR THE ISO :D you didn't add any code, did you? :P :P :P LOL

midi jari

Mar 25, 2014, 6:16:36 PM3/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
@Li Tan, you may now make a new thread and post your file, some people need it :)

Li Tan

Mar 26, 2014, 12:50:35 AM3/26/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
NP, did you guys get to install GAPPS?

midi jari

Mar 28, 2014, 7:10:12 PM3/28/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I installed the original Android (from the prebuilt one by android-x86) and then extracted the kernel file (the file named "kernel") and replaced the old one in the installed Kitkat and then it booted normally, but I do have a little question : can we boot (or chainload) Grub Legacy from Grub 2 on an UEFI system as all new computer have ?

Euphoria Angel

Mar 29, 2014, 3:51:10 AM3/29/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

The problem of old grub is not just efi, but gpt partition table too. It doesn't understand it either.

Li Tan

Mar 29, 2014, 4:22:56 PM3/29/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
You can install androidx86 4.4 on a usb. Then install ubuntu 13.10 uefi  and copy anddroidx86 4.4 install files from usb into the Ubuntu 13.10 uefi drive. Edit the grub.cfg in the ubuntu to dual boot ubuntu and android uefi in the same drive.

Alessandro Magnolo

Mar 30, 2014, 1:55:39 PM3/30/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:50:35 AM UTC+1, Li Tan wrote:
NP, did you guys get to install GAPPS?

you don't need to install GAPPS if you use your kernel with the regular 4.4 iso distrubution.

thank you very much for your build, by the way!

Eddie Walton

Mar 31, 2014, 8:19:18 PM3/31/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Li, could you upload the ISO (or just the kernel) somewhere else?  That link has run out of bandwidth.
http://www.datafilehost.com/  is a free hosting site that does not require registration.  Thanks!!!

Li Tan

Apr 1, 2014, 2:23:03 AM4/1/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Corey Sheldon

Apr 1, 2014, 8:49:16 AM4/1/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Its possible but someone would need to parse it first or you would have to pull it after the DL

Corey Sheldon

Apr 1, 2014, 8:50:48 AM4/1/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Anyone have the kernel or its source for 4.4.m1 image from the site and did anyone manage to fix the ext3 formatting issue rather not be pushing ntfs on my Vbox install or x86...

Eddie Walton

Apr 1, 2014, 1:30:43 PM4/1/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much, Li!   I've gone ahead and uploaded it to another site in case the box goes down again.  Here it is in case anyone else needs it.
Li, if you want me to kill that share, then just let me know.

Eddie Walton

Apr 1, 2014, 1:36:06 PM4/1/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
And here is Li's kernel by itself (extracted from the ISO):

Joan R. Serra

Apr 1, 2014, 4:30:32 PM4/1/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Li !! Now I boot without kernel panic !

Eddie Walton

Apr 1, 2014, 7:31:15 PM4/1/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Li.  Works fine on my Surface Pro.  WiFi does not work, but that is a subject for a different thread as it has nothing to do with your ISO.

Li Tan

Apr 4, 2014, 4:15:00 PM4/4/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Np, my Asus X202E wifi works fine.

Rustom Nunez

Jun 11, 2014, 6:42:40 AM6/11/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
hey. i installed it on a usb, but with errors, "*app name* has stopped". Can you figure it out.

mike r

Jun 18, 2014, 6:51:14 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hey Does this work with Ubuntu?

Mike

Euphoria Angel

Jun 18, 2014, 6:56:17 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

I guess

On Jun 19, 2014 3:21 AM, "mike r" <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Does this work with Ubuntu?
>
> Mike

jean-michel voicechat_fan

Jun 18, 2014, 9:06:35 PM6/18/14
to android-x86
yes i have done that on my disk ubuntu 14.04  first do update-grub and grub-install /dev/...
 sda for me

web