Android x86 4.4 R5 loads in low bright mode/white stripes and blank screen

nishant misra

Dec 25, 2017, 1:05:14 AM12/25/17
to Android-x86
Hi

We are facing problems in installing Android 4.4 r5 in one of our computers. These computers are custom ones with Intel i3 , 32gb SSD, 4GB RAM, Integrated Graphics Card.
They normally come new with Windows pre-installed and we always override everything with with Android 4.4 R5. However in the new batch as soon as we installed Android. It started showing very low brightness, vertical horizontal white lines and then blank screen.
When we restart many times, Android sometimes run fine but most of the times same error.
We tried installing Ubuntu 16.04 LTS to troubleshoot and it also has exactly the same problem.
It seems no other operating system works except Windows.(which amazingly works perfectly fine.)

After reading this group, we were able to get Android to work via nomodeset/i915.modeset=0 etc. but all these modes are generally no use because the rendering/frame buffering is very slow and we cannot use them as they are in these modes.

Appreciate if anyone can please help. We have been trying to get this working day and night so any command outputs needed would help.

Thanks

Chih-Wei Huang

Dec 26, 2017, 3:56:14 AM12/26/17
to Android-x86
Maybe your devide is too new to be supported by the old kernel in 4.4-r5.
You may try the 6.0-r3 or 7.1-rc2 which equip with newer kernel.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

nishant misra

Dec 26, 2017, 4:38:48 AM12/26/17
to Android-x86
Hi Chih,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried with android 7.1 rc-2, however the issue still persists.

The problem is as follows:
  1. Everything Loads fine in nomodeset or i915.modeset=0 however the screen rendering is extremely slow.
  2. the main LVDS display goes blank(with backlight) however everything is visible and working on an external display connected via VGA.
has this been observed before?

Thanks

nishant misra

Dec 26, 2017, 5:19:14 AM12/26/17
to Android-x86
Hi Chih,

One more observation that I just saw:

If you let the device go to sleep and if you wake the device from sleep, the screen starts working fine again.

Thanks

Chih-Wei Huang

Dec 26, 2017, 5:21:10 AM12/26/17
to Android-x86
> Hi Chih,
>
> One more observation that I just saw:
>
> If you let the device go to sleep and if you wake the device from sleep, the
> screen starts working fine again.

Sounds like a bug in the BIOS.
Try to contact your BIOS vendor for help.

nishant misra

Dec 26, 2017, 7:04:39 AM12/26/17
to Android-x86
Hi Chih,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Tested after resetting BIOS started working fine. however after a few restarts the issue came up again.

A few more issues that I noticed include:
  1. sometimes the window is stuck at android boot logo and doesn't go ahead without a complete reintall
  2. also, there is always an error of google play services has stopped.
Can you suggest solutions for this issue.

Thanks