Android 4.4 r 2 and Winbook TW700

rcnet

Jan 16, 2015, 11:42:20 PM1/16/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I've tried installing 4.4 r2 on a Winbook TW700.  It says it detected Android.....and then nothing else happens, screen goes blank.  I even tried replacing the bootia32.efi file with a modified one, but that only drops me into grub without launching the installer.  Any ideas?

Fajar A. Nugraha

Jan 17, 2015, 12:11:05 AM1/17/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Your graphic card might be unsupported.

If you want to verify whethet it's the cause, try with other boot options (e.g. select "vesa mode" or similar).

On Jan 17, 2015 11:42 AM, "'rcnet' via Android-x86" <andro...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I've tried installing 4.4 r2 on a Winbook TW700.  It says it detected Android.....and then nothing else happens, screen goes blank.  I even tried replacing the bootia32.efi file with a modified one, but that only drops me into grub without launching the installer.  Any ideas?

rcnet

Jan 18, 2015, 10:09:13 PM1/18/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I tried adding xforcevesa after the standard parameter list, but it still doesn't seem to want to boot.  The weird thing is that I've seen other Winbooks, ex. TW800, that have booted correctly and I can't believe that the TW700 is that different from it.

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 18, 2015, 10:26:25 PM1/18/15
to Android-x86
<andro...@googlegroups.com>:
> I tried adding xforcevesa after the standard parameter list, but it still
> doesn't seem to want to boot. The weird thing is that I've seen other
> Winbooks, ex. TW800, that have booted correctly and I can't believe that the
> TW700 is that different from it.

That usually means your CPU is not supported.
(e.g., lack of SSE3)
You may try the unofficial non-sse3 build.
Search the forum for it.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Greg McGee

Jan 19, 2015, 12:54:35 AM1/19/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

The Winbook tablets are all newish Broadwell quadcores (Gen7) , the 800 and 100 have a rt8723 combined wifi/bt/radio chip that the wifi may be supported.
They also have a Goodix GT9xx touchscreen that is sorta kinda supported but not at all by Goodix.

What TS /chipset details does the 700 have?

I know $59 is an tempting deal, but if you are still in the return window., spend the extra $20 for 2GB ram and 32GB storage.
I got Ubuntu loaded but kinda gave up right after the 10" units came out due to the TS and wifi issues at the time.
Bought one for the wife back in oct, I would LOVE to get Android on it as it seems a great little tablet, but the admin overhead of Win8.1 kills it.

You probably found this already:

rcnet

Jan 19, 2015, 1:01:49 AM1/19/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm....this page says the processor in the TW700 (Intel Atom Z3735G) has SSE3.

But, I will try the non-sse3 build.

Greg McGee

Jan 19, 2015, 1:02:46 AM1/19/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I should also point out you can do an efi install to the SDcard, it will take a 64g sdcard.

Greg McGee

Jan 19, 2015, 1:04:44 AM1/19/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Also backing up windows to a usb recovery stick is trivial, it has a full size USB3 port.

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 19, 2015, 3:19:30 AM1/19/15
to Android-x86
<andro...@googlegroups.com>:
> Hmmm....this page says the processor in the TW700 (Intel Atom Z3735G) has
> SSE3.
>
> http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Atom/Intel-Atom%20Z3735G.html
>
> But, I will try the non-sse3 build.

If so, it's not a CPU issue, but the GPU.
There is no valid driver and/or hal for this GPU.

double...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2015, 12:53:26 PM1/20/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
The TW700 actually boots all the way if you use an external monitor. I've tested this with 4.4 r2 and some of the unofficial 5.0 iso's that are floating around and can confirm it works with all of them. The touch screen on the tablet works and will allow you to control things on the external monitor. Maybe just a driver issue with the built in display?

Wifi/Bluetooth doesn't work but that seems to be a common issue with the baytrail tablets right now. I haven't had time to test anything else.

rcnet

Jan 20, 2015, 3:07:30 PM1/20/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
From CPU World, GPU Type: HD (Ivy Bridge).   Are you saying 4.4r2 can't support Ivy Bridge GPU?

Then how did this guy make it work?

AresP17

Feb 6, 2015, 2:16:42 PM2/6/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 9:42:20 PM UTC-7, rcnet wrote:
> I've tried installing 4.4 r2 on a Winbook TW700.  It says it detected Android.....and then nothing else happens, screen goes blank.  I even tried replacing the bootia32.efi file with a modified one, but that only drops me into grub without launching the installer.  Any ideas?

Hmm has anyone been able to install Grub, because every time I try it just sits there doing nothing. If I don't install grub and actually intall android then it just goes into a black screen. I think the issue is like the Ubuntu issue, the thing will install but it needs to grub to load in, and change video size to fit on screen, but I haven't figured out how to do it unlike when I installed ubuntu.