[T100] Asus T100-TA Magic Stick

8412 views
Skip to first unread message

cheatman

unread,
Apr 24, 2015, 6:31:32 AM4/24/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Asus T100-TA Magic Stick

Asus T100 Magic Stick

Since development and hacking for the Asus T100 tablet has been rather slow these past few months, due to the many problems that plagued the kernel and missing drivers, I decided to make a simple-to-use toolchain that works well on the device out-of-the-box. Thus, I have bundled a fully working Ubuntu live CD image and an Android-x86 build into a single 2GB usb stick format (I call it the "Magic Stick"), to allow easy testing, booting and updating stuff on the tablet. You can also use it to recover your device and perform maintenance activities without the usual hassle. And you can use it for showing off to your friends and co-workers by triple booting your tablet.

T100 Magic Stick Features:
  • Dual-boot directly from USB stick into Android or Ubuntu!
  • Test and play with both systems to see if you like them
  • Ubuntu 14.04 Live:
    • Updated 4.0 kernel (thanks to Kirill Belyaev for the kernel build)
    • No more internal HDD errors (no more rpmb issues)
    • microSD Card working correctly
    • Wi-Fi working stable at boot
    • Battery reporting
    • Hardware buttons
    • Additional tools by default (gparted, mc, uefi, efibootmgr, grub2)
  • Android-x86 4.4 Live:
    • Updated 4.0 kernel (thanks to Povilas Staniulis for the kernel build)
    • No more internal HDD errors (no more rpmb issues)
    • Wi-Fi working
    • Battery reporting
    • Hardware buttons working
    • Google Services! (Play Store etc.)
    • Pre-rooted!
    • Writable system partition
  • Shrink and change partition layouts
  • Install and repair bootloaders, grub2 and UEFI
  • Install, repair, debug and update any operating system

Download and Install:

The installation procedure is extremely simple:
  1. Download the Magic Stick zip file from here: T100 Magic Stick download
  2. Extract the ZIP file
  3. Copy the extracted contents to a 2GB (or more, makes no difference) USB stick
  4. Disable secure boot in the UEFI firmware configuration (tap F2 at startup to enter configuration)
  5. Boot from the USB stick (tap F2 at startup and choose the stick as boot device from the menus)

Thanks and credits:
  • Kirill Belyaev, Povilas Staniulis, rbg, Chih-Wei Huang, Brain WrecK, pstglia
  • The whole Asus T100 Ubuntu Google+ Community (chck us out!);
  • The whole Android-x86 Google Group (check us out!);
  • Everyone else who contributed patches, fixes, ideas and suggestions!

Cheers,
C.

Fajar A. Nugraha

unread,
Apr 24, 2015, 6:40:34 AM4/24/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, thanks!

Did you also include suspend support,
https://plus.google.com/u/0/102558053651783798692/posts/MYDbTk9jHmX ?

--
Fajar

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 5:31 PM, cheatman <ciprian...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Asus T100-TA Magic Stick
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Android-x86" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to android-x86...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to andro...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

cheatman

unread,
Apr 24, 2015, 7:03:31 AM4/24/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hey Fajar,

No suspend support, because I don't see suspend as a useful feature for a livecd. Similarly, this build cannot run without the docking station connected or without the USB stick.
Wireless, touch, storage, docking station, hardware buttons, sound and maybe bluetooth are the only relevant things to have on a livecd in my opinion. Anything else is just nice to have...

Cheers,
C.

Zecik123

unread,
Apr 24, 2015, 7:31:22 AM4/24/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
While extracting zip file:
"Unknown method in T100TA Magic Stick"
Total errors: 411.
858 MB extracted only.

Cheers,
Zecik123

cheatman

unread,
Apr 24, 2015, 7:46:00 AM4/24/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Try using 7zip. I used LZMA method to archive it to make it as small as possible...

jule doc

unread,
Apr 24, 2015, 10:54:02 AM4/24/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello to you, (excuse me if the translation is not good but just google translation)

I would like first to say thank you for this very good work.
In a second step, I encounter a problem with my T100TA tablet. In fact, I use the system on the boot partition refind my tablet to keep track of the changes make to Android. So I copy the contents of your x86 folder (Android) is the root of C :.

The problem is that this method I need a system.sfs not system.img file. Can you convert my system.img file system.sfs or tell me how to make this change (knowing that I am a beginner).

I thank you in advance.

jule doc

unread,
Apr 24, 2015, 10:54:13 AM4/24/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello, (sorry for my bad english)
First time, thx for this work.

And, can you transform you system.img in system.sfs for boot android with refind on my T100TA.

THX.

cheatman

unread,
Apr 24, 2015, 11:04:28 AM4/24/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

Instead of converting the system.img to system.sfs it is easier to edit the boot config file (should be called grub.cfg) and edit the line that refers to system.sfs to say system.img.
You can also try simply renaming the file to end in .sfs to begin with and see if it works. You might be surprised.

However, to answer the question: you can convert it to .sfs by using (in Linux, you can boot the magic stick in ubuntu) the command:

bash# mksquashfs source1 source2 ... destination [options]

In your case it should be something like:

mksquashfs ./system.img ./system.sfs

Cheers,
C.

cheatman

unread,
Apr 26, 2015, 10:20:17 AM4/26/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Updated version 1.3 to include Ubuntu 15.04, suspend support, audio and fully functional installer.

Download here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_NLqfSyZfYAZjIwOXhIOElkb2s&authuser=0

Android part is identical.

Cheers,
C.

jule doc

unread,
Apr 26, 2015, 9:31:10 PM4/26/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for that I changed my grub and everything works great.
One last question, when I run Android or Ubuntu, I have the light of the camera remains on, how do I turn off the light ??

Jan Mareš

unread,
Apr 26, 2015, 9:31:10 PM4/26/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
What is the problem with installing android on t100 memory?

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 12:31:32 PM UTC+2, cheatman wrote:
> Asus T100-TA Magic Stick
>
>
>
> Since development and hacking for the Asus T100 tablet has been rather slow these past few months, due to the many problems that plagued the kernel and missing drivers, I decided to make a simple-to-use toolchain that works well on the device out-of-the-box. Thus, I have bundled a fully working Ubuntu live CD image and an Android-x86 build into a single 2GB usb stick format (I call it the "Magic Stick"), to allow easy testing, booting and updating stuff on the tablet. You can also use it to recover your device and perform maintenance activities without the usual hassle. And you can use it for showing off to your friends and co-workers by triple booting your tablet.
>
> T100 Magic Stick Features:
> Dual-boot directly from USB stick into Android or Ubuntu!Test and play with both systems to see if you like themUbuntu 14.04 Live:Updated 4.0 kernel (thanks to Kirill Belyaev for the kernel build)No more internal HDD errors (no more rpmb issues)microSD Card working correctlyWi-Fi working stable at bootBattery reportingHardware buttonsAdditional tools by default (gparted, mc, uefi, efibootmgr, grub2)Android-x86 4.4 Live:Updated 4.0 kernel (thanks to Povilas Staniulis for the kernel build)No more internal HDD errors (no more rpmb issues)Wi-Fi workingBattery reportingHardware buttons workingGoogle Services! (Play Store etc.)Pre-rooted!Writable system partitionShrink and change partition layoutsInstall and repair bootloaders, grub2 and UEFIInstall, repair, debug and update any operating system
> Download and Install:
>
> The installation procedure is extremely simple:Download the Magic Stick zip file from here: T100 Magic Stick downloadExtract the ZIP fileCopy the extracted contents to a 2GB (or more, makes no difference) USB stickDisable secure boot in the UEFI firmware configuration (tap F2 at startup to enter configuration)Boot from the USB stick (tap F2 at startup and choose the stick as boot device from the menus)
> Thanks and credits:Kirill Belyaev, Povilas Staniulis, rbg, Chih-Wei Huang, Brain WrecK, pstgliaThe whole Asus T100 Ubuntu Google+ Community (chck us out!);The whole Android-x86 Google Group (check us out!);Everyone else who contributed patches, fixes, ideas and suggestions!
> Cheers,
> C.

cheatman

unread,
Apr 27, 2015, 2:10:55 AM4/27/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
@Jule: The camera led is a kernel driver issue. Chih-Wei Huang is working on it, but we have no idea if and when it will be fixed.

@Jan: There is no problem installing Android to the HDD. However, you have to install it manually as the installer does not work.

Cheers,
C.

Chih-Wei Huang

unread,
Apr 27, 2015, 3:12:13 AM4/27/15
to Android-x86
2015-04-27 14:10 GMT+08:00 cheatman <ciprian...@gmail.com>:
> @Jule: The camera led is a kernel driver issue. Chih-Wei Huang is working on
> it, but we have no idea if and when it will be fixed.

Well, I didn't work on (fixing) it.
My workaround is just unset
CONFIG_PINCTRL_BAYTRAIL.

> @Jan: There is no problem installing Android to the HDD. However, you have
> to install it manually as the installer does not work.


--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org

Jan Mareš

unread,
Apr 27, 2015, 9:36:07 AM4/27/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Can you please share kernel config you used or mention t100 specific values to set when configuring the kernel?

Many thanks!


On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 12:31:32 PM UTC+2, cheatman wrote:

Jonah Naylor

unread,
Apr 27, 2015, 9:36:07 AM4/27/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi my Asus T100TAF is arriving tomorrow hopefully.

I only ordered this though to run Kubuntu off if at all possible at some point??

The Magic Stick looks awesome, but can you boot it and install it to the Asus T100TAF?

I don't want to run Windows if possible but couldn't work out if this is just meant to run from the live USB stick, or if it can be installed on the computer as the OS?

And if this is possible can I just install it to the 32gb flash so it can be used as a tablet also when not docked to the keyboard?

Thanks for any help with this.

cheatman

unread,
Apr 27, 2015, 9:48:18 AM4/27/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Kernel is built by Kirill Belyaev for Ubuntu and Povilas Staniulis for Android. I don't have the configs.
Regarding the installation: yes, it is fully functional with the latest version. You will have to install the KDE or plasma-active yourself though, as the included version is the gnome/unity.

Android can also be run live or installed, but you have to do it manually.

Cheers,
C.

Jonah Naylor

unread,
Apr 27, 2015, 9:26:51 PM4/27/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi thanks, so is it just as simple as booting the live Magic stick, then clicking to install Ubuntu and selecting the built in 32gb flash as the HD?

Thanks again for any help with this.

cheatman

unread,
Apr 28, 2015, 3:29:22 AM4/28/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
In principle, yes. Make sure you configure the HDD and partitions according to your plans so you don't lose any important data. Otherwise, the whole process should be straight forward.

Cheers,
C.

Jonah Naylor

unread,
Apr 28, 2015, 11:33:31 AM4/28/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi thanks. Sorry for all the questions - after reading about all sorts of troubles and the T100 not being linux friendly yet I didn't want to mess up this brand new machine. I don't have any data on it as I've bought it new just to put linux on (I'm not a windows fan plus all my work is saved in linux apps).

With this being a brand new machine do I need to do any partitioning first? or can I just run the live stick, hit install and choose 'Use Entire Disk' as I normally would on a laptop/desktop?

I read this post about the t100 actually breaking and not being recoverable at all, even the bios broke!! Is this just a one-off or should I worry about this:

https://linuxnorth.wordpress.com/2015/03/29/asus-t100-transformer-a-cautionary-tale/

Seems very strange that ubuntu could break the t100 completely?

jule doc

unread,
Apr 28, 2015, 11:33:31 AM4/28/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Again thank you for your very efficient responses.

I have another question, I want to make ubuntu, a permanent system , but I do not know how.

On Android , I know I need to add a data.img file, what I do, but on ubuntu I do not really know.

Is that making an ext3 partition at the end of the USB drive , it could solve my problem ?

I thank you in advance.

cheatman

unread,
Apr 28, 2015, 6:04:18 PM4/28/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Create an empty file large enough to store your data in the root of your stick. It has to be named "casper-rw". You can use dd for this purpose:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/hda1/casper-rw bs=1M count=128

Then format it as ext3 or ext4:

mkfs.ext3 /media/hda1/casper-rw

Boot the stick using the "persistent" kernel CMD option.

If you need more info refer to this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence

PS: try to keep the discussion around Android-x86...

Cheers,
C.

Jonah Naylor

unread,
Apr 29, 2015, 3:02:10 AM4/29/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi I just booted the stick clicked install and then chose to install to the 'entire disk' - the system is working well, I hope I haven't done things wrong as I didn't make any partitions or set anything to persistent etc?? I then installed Kubuntu-desktop and it is working well but I hope I'm not burning out my flash memory or something??

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Android-x86" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/android-x86/DFBxPGlpn_M/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to android-x86...@googlegroups.com.

cheatman

unread,
Apr 29, 2015, 3:30:17 AM4/29/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonah,

Jule wanted to make the stick persistent. You performed a disk installation. They are two separate things.
Installing Ubuntu to the disk (what you did) is ok and will not destroy your disks/flash memory/RAM/keyboard or anything like that.

Feel free to use your new Kubuntu system and enjoy it like you would on any other desktop system.

Cheers,
C.

Jonah Naylor

unread,
Apr 29, 2015, 3:34:28 AM4/29/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi thanks Cheatman. It is working well with Kubuntu - the only problem is lack of decent on screen keyboard. I've tried Onboard but it doesn't pick up many of the keypresses and doesn't really work. Also it doesn't show on the login screen, so at the moment I can't really use the system without the keyboard dock.

Otherwise though everything is working really well. Am I safe to keep updating and upgrading the system as updates popup or will this break the magic stick mods and grub/bootloader etc?

Thanks again and great work with the Magic stick - I never thought I'd get Kubuntu on the T100!!

--
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Entropy Zero

unread,
May 6, 2015, 1:05:11 PM5/6/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
When trying to install ubuntu with encrypted homedir the installer crashes. No problem with regular install…

Gerhard

unread,
May 10, 2015, 9:49:03 PM5/10/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Am Freitag, 24. April 2015 12:31:32 UTC+2 schrieb cheatman:
> Asus T100-TA Magic Stick
>
>
>
> Since development and hacking for the Asus T100 tablet has been rather slow these past few months, due to the many problems that plagued the kernel and missing drivers, I decided to make a simple-to-use toolchain that works well on the device out-of-the-box. Thus, I have bundled a fully working Ubuntu live CD image and an Android-x86 build into a single 2GB usb stick format (I call it the "Magic Stick"), to allow easy testing, booting and updating stuff on the tablet. You can also use it to recover your device and perform maintenance activities without the usual hassle. And you can use it for showing off to your friends and co-workers by triple booting your tablet.
>
> T100 Magic Stick Features:
> Dual-boot directly from USB stick into Android or Ubuntu!Test and play with both systems to see if you like themUbuntu 14.04 Live:Updated 4.0 kernel (thanks to Kirill Belyaev for the kernel build)No more internal HDD errors (no more rpmb issues)microSD Card working correctlyWi-Fi working stable at bootBattery reportingHardware buttonsAdditional tools by default (gparted, mc, uefi, efibootmgr, grub2)Android-x86 4.4 Live:Updated 4.0 kernel (thanks to Povilas Staniulis for the kernel build)No more internal HDD errors (no more rpmb issues)Wi-Fi workingBattery reportingHardware buttons workingGoogle Services! (Play Store etc.)Pre-rooted!Writable system partitionShrink and change partition layoutsInstall and repair bootloaders, grub2 and UEFIInstall, repair, debug and update any operating system
> Download and Install:
>
> The installation procedure is extremely simple:Download the Magic Stick zip file from here: T100 Magic Stick downloadExtract the ZIP fileCopy the extracted contents to a 2GB (or more, makes no difference) USB stickDisable secure boot in the UEFI firmware configuration (tap F2 at startup to enter configuration)Boot from the USB stick (tap F2 at startup and choose the stick as boot device from the menus)
> Thanks and credits:Kirill Belyaev, Povilas Staniulis, rbg, Chih-Wei Huang, Brain WrecK, pstgliaThe whole Asus T100 Ubuntu Google+ Community (chck us out!);The whole Android-x86 Google Group (check us out!);Everyone else who contributed patches, fixes, ideas and suggestions!
> Cheers,
> C.


Hi, is it possible to run this Stick on a Lenovo ThinkPad 8 tablet with Intel Atom 3770 quad core 2 GB ram 128 GB emmc an full HD, wifi, Bluetooth, 4G, GPS ..? Or is this Sick only for Asus? My Lenovo has allso 32 bit uefi and GPT and Windows 8.1 Pro. If it is running I would like to install it on the internal 64GB
SD Card and boot from the ssd.

With best reguards

Ciprian Negrila

unread,
May 11, 2015, 12:21:44 AM5/11/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

This is Asus T100 TA specific. It will likely not boot on any Lenovo devices.

Cheers,
C.

Daniel Moyer

unread,
May 12, 2015, 8:21:16 PM5/12/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I just wanted to say thanks for your hard work. Finding this project made my day.
Message has been deleted

Dwayne

unread,
May 29, 2015, 10:47:15 AM5/29/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi. Managed to install android on my asus t100 thanks to this and I absolutely love it. Big thank you to all involved! Hope to see a lollipop version soon. You guys are awesome.

cheatman

unread,
Jun 18, 2015, 3:37:09 AM6/18/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I have updated the magic stick to version 1.4. The download link is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_NLqfSyZfYATTdOVmhkLVJoUGs/view?usp=sharing

Changelog:

v1.4: Ubuntu: added bluetooth support (seems unreliable)
v1.4: Ubuntu: updated packages to latest versions
v1.4: Ubuntu: fixed Software Center problems
v1.4: Android: data is saved to the stick (1GB internal storage only!)
v1.4: Android: added bluetooth support (tethering not working, yet)
v1.4: Android: added accelerometer sensor support
v1.4: Android: added rotation sensor support

Cheers,
C.

Chih-Wei Huang

unread,
Jun 18, 2015, 6:59:19 AM6/18/15
to Android-x86
2015-06-18 15:37 GMT+08:00 cheatman <ciprian...@gmail.com>:
> v1.4: Android: added bluetooth support (tethering not working, yet)

Interesting.
Could you please provide the patches?
Thanks!

cheatman

unread,
Jun 18, 2015, 7:12:40 AM6/18/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
The Android bundled in this version was built by Povilas Staniulis and is posted here: http://raspis.ddscentral.org/pub/downloads/android-x86/
It is the "Android-x86-Kitkat_Baytrail-K4.0-T100TA_Jun06.rar" build. Based on the logged changes, he replaced the bluedroid implementation with the standard BlueZ implementation (also used in Ubuntu), and used this:


and the information provided here:


He is also active on G+ and here, so we can ask him directly.

Cheers,
C.

Rinaldo Jonathan

unread,
Jun 18, 2015, 7:17:53 AM6/18/15
to android-x86

Suspend already working? If not, how can I prevent it from suspending?

also ... anybody have a guide that is friendly enough to newbies, about installing this magic stick to sdcard?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Android-x86" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to android-x86...@googlegroups.com.

Manh Ha Tran

unread,
Jun 19, 2015, 10:06:56 AM6/19/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
This version still has some issues :

- SDcard which is most important is not supported yet
- when I plug in headphone, the internal speakers are not mute.
- the camera light remaining bright up

I will love to have a functions that Touchscreen works on OS choose menu at start screen or can choose using Volume up and down.

ismail akarım

unread,
Jun 22, 2015, 1:36:34 PM6/22/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I m waiting for camera support for t100ta

Chih-Wei Huang

unread,
Jul 2, 2015, 12:04:48 AM7/2/15
to Android-x86
2015-06-18 19:12 GMT+08:00 cheatman <ciprian...@gmail.com>:
> The Android bundled in this version was built by Povilas Staniulis and is
> posted here: http://raspis.ddscentral.org/pub/downloads/android-x86/
> It is the "Android-x86-Kitkat_Baytrail-K4.0-T100TA_Jun06.rar" build. Based
> on the logged changes, he replaced the bluedroid implementation with the
> standard BlueZ implementation (also used in Ubuntu), and used this:
>
> http://raspis.ddscentral.org/pub/downloads/android-x86/dev/bluetooth/
>
> and the information provided here:
>
> Http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2640723

Thank you for the info.
Now I'm looking at the aosp-bluez project:
https://code.google.com/p/aosp-bluez/

It looks promising.
I'll check if we can use it to replace bluedroid
since bluedroid is still buggy on android-x86.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org

cheatman

unread,
Jul 19, 2015, 12:43:33 PM7/19/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Updated the Magic Stick to the 4.4-r3 released by Chih-Wei Huang. It includes many fixes, as well as full support for SD card.

Cheers,
C.

Ben Alderfer

unread,
Apr 4, 2016, 9:38:10 PM4/4/16
to Android-x86
The link no longer works. Is there somewhere that I can still get it?

Thomas B. Prost

unread,
Apr 22, 2016, 2:42:41 PM4/22/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Am Samstag, den 02.04.2016, 18:47 -0700 schrieb Ben Alderfer:
> The link no longer works. Is there somewhere that I can still get it?
>

I have a 1,2G file from Apr 24 2015 named T100TA-Magic-Stick.v1.2.zip -
if that is what you're looking for ?

Ben Alderfer

unread,
Apr 22, 2016, 2:48:10 PM4/22/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I no longer need it. Thanks anyway

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Android-x86" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/android-x86/DFBxPGlpn_M/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to android-x86...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to andro...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
--

Ben Alderfer

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages