(Guide) Install Android x86 4.4 on GPT UEFI computer (working ARM!)

Draco Lockhard

Apr 5, 2014, 1:25:17 AM4/5/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
How to install Android x86

(Sony Vaio Tap 11)

GPT, UEFI, working ARM translator

Hi.

This guide is written for "Sony Vaio Tap 11" (all versions), but it should work for most, if not all UEFI computers with GPT hard drives. However, on "Sony Vaio Tap 11", Android 4.4 RC1 works perfectly. EVERYTHING is functional, including ARM translator, both cameras, Wi-Fi, touchscreen, Bluetooth etc. Therefore, this tablet is an ideal choice for running Windows 8.1 together with Android.

First, download all the required files & software in one package: http://yadi.sk/d/s9sCXJRALmupY

What you need:

  • One USB flash drive (16GB minimum) for installation
  • Minitool Partition Wizard 8.1.1 (included)
  • Notepad++ 6.5.5 (included)
  • Android 4.4 RC1 with libhoudini, GAPPS, Root & UEFI-patched kernel (included)
  • GRUB from Ubuntu 13 (included)
  • Working UEFI Windows 8.x with GPT hard drive, on the computer where you are going to install Android to.

The installation is very simple, however if you do not know what is "partition" or how to enter BIOS –
Please DO NOT TRY THIS. Ask someone for help.

YES, IT IS POSSIBLE TO RUIN YOUR WINDOWS INSTALLATION AND LOOSE ALL OF YOUR DATA IF YOU MAKE MISTAKE DURING PARTITIONING,

so please be careful.

Let us begin then! Everything is going to be done on the same Windows 8 PC you are installing Android to.

0) Go to your PC BIOS and turn OFF "Secure boot" (it will not affect Windows 8). On "Sony Vaio Tap 11" it is ALSO required to "Clear all secure boot keys" in BIOS setup and reboot once. Leave UEFI boot turned on.

1) Start Windows & install Minitool Partition Wizard 8.1.1 (pwhe8.exe).

2) Insert 16 GB USB drive. Format it with regular Windows Explorer, use FAT32.

3) Run Minitool Partition Wizard. BE CAREFUL! CHOOSE YOUR USB DRIVE, NOT YOUR HDD! Resize the main partition of your USB drive so that there is 7.9GB of free space left AT THE END. Do not exceed 8GB.

4) Not closing Minitool Partition Wizard, create PRIMARY EXT2 partition to the extent of that 7.9GB of the empty space on your USB drive. Name it "Android".

5) Close Minitool Partition Wizard. Go to Windows Explorer and copy everything FROM the folder "Install USB" (not the folder itself!) to your USB drive, so that you have "EFI", "boot" and "android" folders in the USB drive's root.

6) Press "Shift" on the keyboard, and while holding it choose "Restart" from Windows 8 charm bar (that annoying vertical stripe to the right). "Advanced Reboot" menu appears, choose "Use device" -> "UEFI USB drive"

Now, if you are using Sony Vaio Tap 11, there is everything already set in config files & you do not need to edit them. However, if your PC is different, now it's a good time to test if it can run Android x86 at all. So:

7) a) - (Sony Vaio Tap 11) - When black GRUB startup screen appears, choose "Install Android" -> wait for installation screen -> Select partition "sdb2 (linux)" -> Select "Do not format" -> Select "Yes, install GRUB" -> Select "Yes, install system r\w" -> Wait -> Select "Reboot".

7) b) - (NOT Sony Vaio Tap 11) - When black GRUB startup screen appears, choose "Live Android 4.4" and TEST EVERYTHING. Don't worry if ARM translator doesn't work - it will, after you install Android to HDD. If everything seems fine, choose "Power Off" from Android (NOT “REBOOT”!), start Windows again and repeat steps 6) & 7a).

8) Now that you have installed Android to EXT2 partition on your USB drive, it is time to move it to HDD. Remove USB drive. Start Windows and launch Minitool Partition Wizard.

9) THIS IS THE PART WHERE YOU MUST BE VERY CAREFUL. Select your main computer's HDD. Find Windows partition (disk C:). If C: is your PC's only drive (like on Sony Vaio Tap 11 and most Ultrabooks) - carefully resize it with Minitool Partition Wizard, leaving ~8.5GB of free space AFTER it. WARNING! DRIVE C: IS NOT ALWAYS THE "LAST" PARTITION ON YOUR HDD - SOMETIMES THERE ARE ADDITIONAL RECOVERY & OEM PARTITIONS AFTER IT, WHICH YOU CAN'T SEE UNDER WINDOWS, BUT CAN IN Minitool Partition Wizard. DO NOT TOUCH THEM! RESIZE JUST THE DRIVE C:! If there are additional (logical) drives in your PC (D:, E: etc.) - resize the last one that you can see under Windows explorer, but, I repeat, DO NOT TOUCH ANY PARTITION BEFORE OR AFTER IT!

10) Close Minitool Partition Wizard. Insert your 16GB USB drive, where Android was just installed. Launch Minitool Partition Wizard again.

11) Select your USB drive. Choose EXT2 partition and COPYit to the free space of your main HDD, but position it AT THE END OF FREE SPACE - remember, we created EXT2 with the size of 7.9GB, but resized C: to free 8.5GB? Therefore, there will be ~500-600MB of free space left BETWEEN YOUR RESIZED DRIVE C: & EXT2 PARTITION. That's exactly what we need.

12) When copying of EXT2 partition finishes, create new PRIMARY FAT32 partition in that 500-600MB of remaining free space. Name it "GRUB" and let Minitool Partition Wizard assign some drive letter to it (don't worry, it is all temporary). Let's assume that the letter assigned was "E:"

13) Now the fun part COUNT (literally, with your finger) ALL PARTITIONS ON YOUR HARD DRIVE FROM LEFT TO RIGHT - count every single one, including the just created "GRUB". Write down (on a sheet of paper) the position of your just copied EXT2 partition - on Sony Vaio Tap 11, it will be number 7, on other GPT computers - likely 6 (or 7). Close Minitool Partition Wizard.

14) Go to Windows Explorer and copy everything FROM the folder "Copy to GRUB HDD Partition" (not the folder itself!) to your newly created "E:" drive ("GRUB"), so that you have "EFI" and "boot" folders in "E:" drive's root.

15) Go to "E:" drive's root and edit the file "boot" -> "grub" -> "grub.cfg". Do NOT use Windows' "Notepad" for that, use included "Notepad++"

16) Find this:

Code:
menuentry "Run Android x86" {
               set root=(hd0,gpt7)
               linux /android-4.4-RC1/kernel root=/dev/sda7 androidboot.hardware=android_x86 SRC=/android-4.4-RC1
               initrd /android-4.4-RC1/initrd.img
  }
CHANGE "root=(hd0,gpt7)" & "root=/dev/sda7" TO THAT NUMBER YOU'VE WRTITTEN ON A SHEET OF PAPER - for example, if your EXT2 partition was 6th from the left, change "root=(hd0,gpt7)" to "root=(hd0,gpt6)" & "root=/dev/sda7" to "root=/dev/sda6". DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE. DO NOT ADD SPACES. Save the file.

17) Edit the file "boot" -> "grub" -> "loopback.cfg" in exactly the same way as in the previous step. Save the file. Close editor.

18) Remove USB drive if you had not already. That is important – if USB is inserted, then ITwill become “hd0” for grub & Android would fail to load.

19) Reboot your PC. It will start Windows as usual. Wait until it booted completely and go to Desktop (from Windows 8 Metro screen)

20) Move your mouse to the very bottom-left corner & press RIGHT button. Choose "Disk Management". Find your little ~500-600MB "GRUB" partition (disk "E:" in this guide), press right mouse button & pick "Change drive letters & paths". Press "Remove" button. No more useless disk "E:" in Explorer

21) At last, press "Shift" on the keyboard and, while holding it, choose "Restart" from Windows 8 charm bar (that annoying vertical stripe to the right). "Advanced Reboot" menu appears, choose "Use device" -> and surprise! New choice appears there - "UEFI HDD drive"! That is your Android. This is how you will access it every time (reboot Windows with "Shift").

To return to Windows from Android, just select "Power Off" from drop-down, & then simply start your PC again. Do NOT use terminal command "Reboot" - if PC is rebooted from Android to Windows without proper shutdown, Bluetooth will not work under Windows until switched on\off in Android.

In a rare case when GRUB becomes the default UEFI loader, not letting you to start Windows – there’s an entry in it to chainload UEFI Windows 8 boot manager. You have 5 seconds on every boot to select this entry. Then your PC will boot Windows normally, & Windows should automatically correct its loading sequence. Android will still be accessible in a usual way.

That's it Happy hacking!

Chih-Wei Huang

Apr 7, 2014, 11:58:37 PM4/7/14
to Android-x86
Thank you for the good guide.

I see one thing to be correct is
you don't need to specify root=/dev/sdaX
in the cmdline (it's redundant).

> [...]
> "Restart" from Windows 8 charm bar (that annoying vertical stripe to the
> right). "Advanced Reboot" menu appears, choose "Use device" -> and surprise!
> New choice appears there - "UEFI HDD drive"! That is your Android. This is
> how you will access it every time (reboot Windows with "Shift").
>
> To return to Windows from Android, just select "Power Off" from drop-down, &
> then simply start your PC again. Do NOT use terminal command "Reboot" - if
> PC is rebooted from Android to Windows without proper shutdown, Bluetooth
> will not work under Windows until switched on\off in Android.
>
> In a rare case when GRUB becomes the default UEFI loader, not letting you to
> start Windows - there's an entry in it to chainload UEFI Windows 8 boot
> manager. You have 5 seconds on every boot to select this entry. Then your PC
> will boot Windows normally, & Windows should automatically correct its

Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org

Draco Lockhard

Apr 8, 2014, 4:55:55 AM4/8/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

Today I've installed Android using this method on Dell Inspiron Duo 10.1 (touchscreen netbook with an old Atom). What's interesting, is that this netbook was not an UEFI machine - I simply copied an already created ext2 partition from the same USB drive, that I used for "Vaio Tap" installation, and installed MBR grub (using original Android x86 installator). This time it was menu.lst that had to be edited (with slightly different syntax).
With this install method, even on 32bit non-UEFI Atom netbook - ARM translator works! As well as camera, touch, WiFi etc. Overall experience with Android was a bit slow (because of Atom and mechanical hard drive), but it was still very much usable. So, since Dell 10.1 is using standard netbook platform,  it's safe to assume that Android x86 4.4 is compatible with all netbooks - "Acer Aspire One", "HP mini" etc.
Great :)

WBR - Draco.

midi jari

Apr 12, 2014, 7:08:42 AM4/12/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
OMG! I have s VAIO S (no touchscreen because it is an UltraPortable not UltraBook :) ) and I'll try that as soon as possible. Thanks A LOT :D

Li Tan

Apr 13, 2014, 2:09:15 AM4/13/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
THanks for the guide, Draco.

joe lee

May 9, 2014, 1:54:45 AM5/9/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

I used your guide on Sony flip 14
http://store.sony.com/vaio-flip-pc-zid27-SVF14N23CX//cat-27-catid-All-14-
Ultrabook-Flip?vva_ColorCode=E2E3DE

Everything seems to works perfectly except the orientation sensor.
(n-trig digitizer, bluetooth, and NFC unconfirmed)
Thank you very much for this guide!

Sergio Gonzalez

May 10, 2014, 6:44:11 AM5/10/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Good guide, but to simplify things, i used the Windos 7 CD and formatted the entire hard drive in my ASUS X501A, threw away the recovery partition (25Gb more free space) and create new partitions, C: \ (Win7), D: \ (My Database) and a last 16Gb partition without formatting so it can be detected by the USB installer, then Installed Windows 7 in (C: \) and after restarting the computer from the USB, I installed Android x86 4.4 RC1 on the 16Gb unformatted partition and now I have both operating systems installed.
Maybe this will help.

Taufik Ridwan

May 10, 2014, 7:12:20 PM5/10/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, excellent guide and working arm emulation too

Carlos lima

May 14, 2014, 10:45:46 AM5/14/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Please could you post a iso image for non uefi notebook so thati can install on my computer. I am olny used to install android x86 using the iso images provided by android x86 team. could you guys make a iso image of android 4,4 with libhoudini and root so that i can download and install in my notebook. tnanks

Cong Nguyen

May 17, 2014, 8:40:54 AM5/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I have installed android successfully on my PC. there are some problems with my OS, can you help me?
>the Android OS detected speakers as headphone (jack plugged). I can hear the sound, but it very low although I increased it to maximum.
>Microphone doesn't work.

Teo

Sep 23, 2014, 2:37:52 AM9/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Would it be possible to repack Androix-x86-R1 it has a lot of new features, and could you put it on a different hosting. I am trying to download the file for two days but expiriencing downloard errors with the hosting provider.

I tried it on my lenovo yoga 13 it works on the USB(UEFI) but i only downloaded an demaged file so i can't complete the instalation to HDD - last step

Antony Stone

Sep 23, 2014, 8:37:37 AM9/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday 23 September 2014 at 08:37:51 (EU time), Teo wrote:

> Would it be possible to repack Androix-x86-R1 it has a lot of new features,
> and could you put it on a different hosting. I am trying to download the
> file for two days but expiriencing downloard errors with the hosting
> provider.

I don't think it's a problem with the hosting provider - I just downloaded it
to a server and got 44Mbps (download time 78 seconds).

I'm sending you privately a link to my server where you can download it from.

Regards,

Antony.

--
There's no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes.

- Billy Connolly

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

JS

Sep 24, 2014, 7:20:15 AM9/24/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried using the equalizer?

As or the mic it's probably the drivers, check the hw and see if there's any

Uoc Nguyen

Oct 2, 2014, 12:45:56 PM10/2/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Well, I was too lazy to compile a gpt support kernel version from source. I got your image and it run almost perfect on my laptop Thinkpad T430. Here is some problems and suggestions:

- Bluetooth not work
- Low level sound
- Wifi not stable if use together with wired network.
- Sleep not work.

The most important is kernel, it is 32bit version, I think it should better if it is 64 bit as it will support more ram and better performance.

My laptop have 16GB of RAM but only 3GB is usable in this android version.

I've just tried Intel's Android-ia from 01.org and it has 64 bit kernel. I can use all 16GB now with very good performance and even sleep work very well. Only problem with it is it trying to act same as Android native process as possible, so it required 9 partitions, it is weird for use on laptop or PC which multiboot. I tried to use 1 partition but failed, may be it is need to rewrite initrd to make it work.

PS: thanks for your great work for GPT and UEFI.

Ravid Maduni

Oct 8, 2014, 5:37:13 AM10/8/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Can someone upload a youtube tutorial for this tutorial? I'm trying this all the time but it's won't work for me :(

Ravid Maduni

Oct 13, 2014, 5:00:12 AM10/13/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
can someone upload a video tutorial for this guide???

Piotr Rogala

Oct 17, 2014, 5:36:58 AM10/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello!
For the last year I was trying many times to install Android on my Acer Iconia w510. Is there anyone who did that? I found someone on a german forum, who claimed, that he did it, but I don't speak german well enough to register to that forum and find him.

I also tried Draco's method, but I have problem with point 6. My computer apparently doesn't detect my USB-stick (prepared as in tutorial) as a bootable drive - and when I go to advanced reboot menu, I see no "Use device" option.
Anyone know, why is it? What can I do? HELP!

rbg

Oct 18, 2014, 6:19:01 AM10/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Batuhan Birol Keskin

Oct 19, 2014, 9:32:35 AM10/19/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello. Could anyone explain how to apply this guide on android-x86-4.4-r1? I tried android-x86-4.4-r1 by installing it on USB and booting with legacy bios boot, however I'd like to install as dual boot with Windows 8.1.

Ivan Verdoodt

Dec 28, 2014, 4:59:22 AM12/28/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
How to install Android x86 (Sony Vaio Tap 11)
Hello,

Android 4.4 KitKat is working perfect on my Sony Vaio Tap11, but i have not enough disk space to be able install Apps on the partion that i create for Android.
How can I create more diskspace on my "Android partion"? Could you please help me.

Greetings Ivander60

Kuba Klimek

Dec 31, 2014, 11:05:51 AM12/31/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
How i can install android x86 on kruger&matz edge 1081(pipo w3 clone)? Anyone know it? When i run any version on it, it Come to the windows(i set in bios secure boot off and 1st set usb). Please help.

Lucasa Babarica

Jan 5, 2015, 6:55:50 AM1/5/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I followed every steps but still can't boot into Android. I just have either black screen or booting straight into Windows 8.1. I tried 3 times.
Funny thing is when I tried to run Android from live USB, everything works. Help ?

Juan Ignacio

Jan 5, 2015, 11:56:28 AM1/5/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Can you install a regular linux distro? I'm asking because uefi PCs can and will be a PITA to deal with.

El ene. 5, 2015 9:07 AM, "Lucasa Babarica" <lucas...@gmail.com> escribió:
I followed every steps but still can't boot into Android. I just have either black screen or booting straight into Windows 8.1. I tried 3 times.
Funny thing is when I tried to run Android from live USB, everything works. Help ?

Kris Schötz

Feb 12, 2015, 9:22:10 PM2/12/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
> [...]
>

> To return to Windows from Android, just select "Power Off" from drop-down, & then simply start your PC again. Do NOT use terminal command "Reboot" - if PC is rebooted from Android to Windows without proper shutdown, Bluetooth will not work under Windows until switched on\off in Android.
>

> In a rare case when GRUB becomes the default
> UEFI loader, not letting you to start Windows – there’s an entry in it
> to chainload UEFI Windows 8 boot manager. You have 5 seconds on every
> boot to select this entry. Then your PC will boot Windows normally,
> & Windows should automatically correct its loading sequence. Android
> will still be accessible in a usual way.

Hi
i try this guid for Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro but i stuck at "detecting android x86" any help?

Myung-chi Kim

Feb 25, 2015, 5:19:10 AM2/25/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi. I'm gonna try to install Andoriod 4.4-r2 on HP Stream 8 with Windows 8.1.
HP Stream 8 has 32G emmc drive with micro SD extention(32G).
I removed recovery partition(almost 8G) on 32G emmc drive. So, I plan to install android using removed partition area.

Doesn't it work with EXT3 file system ?

Michele Carta

Feb 25, 2015, 5:19:10 AM2/25/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
> [...]
>

> To return to Windows from Android, just select "Power Off" from drop-down, & then simply start your PC again. Do NOT use terminal command "Reboot" - if PC is rebooted from Android to Windows without proper shutdown, Bluetooth will not work under Windows until switched on\off in Android.
>

> In a rare case when GRUB becomes the default
> UEFI loader, not letting you to start Windows – there’s an entry in it
> to chainload UEFI Windows 8 boot manager. You have 5 seconds on every
> boot to select this entry. Then your PC will boot Windows normally,
> & Windows should automatically correct its loading sequence. Android
> will still be accessible in a usual way.

Thanks for this entry, it gave me the good direction to install android on my Medion Akoya P2214T. I installed the last 4.4-r2 version thanks to the grub files I found in another post. If you want to update this one, let me know.

Mikele

jim jimmy

Feb 25, 2015, 7:15:22 PM2/25/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Could you teach us how to swap different Android to the one you included on your zip? I've Acer W700 and it seems 4.4-r1 and 4.4-r2 is more compatible to my machine than 4.4-rc1. Big Thanks!!!

Michele Carta

Feb 25, 2015, 7:15:22 PM2/25/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
The important thing is: your partition table is MBR or GPT?

Michele Carta
Weddings & Big Orders

TBD

Feb 25, 2015, 7:25:19 PM2/25/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On 2/25/2015 4:50 PM, jim jimmy wrote:
> Could you teach us how to swap different Android to the one you included on your zip? I've Acer W700 and it seems 4.4-r1 and 4.4-r2 is more compatible to my machine than 4.4-rc1. Big Thanks!!!

I believe r1 and r2 are newer then rc1 and rc2

TBD

jim jimmy

Feb 25, 2015, 10:29:00 PM2/25/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
It's gpt
Message has been deleted

Bernard

Feb 25, 2015, 11:53:04 PM2/25/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
If you're talking about post install, where it won't boot, then grub.cfg and loopback.cfg are not pointing to the right place. View the partition in Linux or install something like ext2fs on windows so you see what the correct label is and point grub.cfg and loopback.cfg accordingly. Swap the "android-4.4-rc1" portions of grub.cfg and loopback.cfg for android-2015-01-24 or whatever the date is on the build.

Try with the date of the filename first.

As for trying different builds, I attached what I use. Put the 3 folders on a USB drive (I keep one dedicated for testing these) and when you find a build you want to try, download the iso and put all the files (don't include the folders) into the "android" folder of the USB. Plugin your USB and boot from it.

If you want to try something else, just replace the files. Works for me.
ax86usbboot.zip

Stephanie Wiggins

Mar 4, 2015, 9:55:19 AM3/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
please help... having issues with 32 bit windows 8.1 (i can not boot x64 grub)

is there any way you can create a tutorial like this for 4.4.2 or 5 ***For 32 bit computers running windows 8.1 ...

Thank you for your time,
Steph

Michele Carta

Mar 4, 2015, 10:07:26 AM3/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
If you have a 32 bits windows, it means you have not a GPT partition table disk. You have a MBR.
In that case, you can install android in the tradicional way, look for tutorial in youtube "how to install android x86 in a pc"

Bye.

Stephanie Wiggins

Mar 5, 2015, 3:30:17 PM3/5/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

I have done this and have been able to install but not boot from usb after installation ( i used  2 usb's, 1 had the iso Files and the other i used to Partition in e3xt(Might have spelled that wrong) and installed Android on) and then i went to Advanced Start up and selected Boot from USB but i get an error.

Аманов Тимур

Mar 7, 2015, 4:30:18 PM3/7/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I try to install android on HP Elitepad 900, but in EFI menu I can't see stroke "USB Hard drive". What did I wrong? Please help me.

P.S.: I download Android-x86 4.4-r2 EFI image and write it on USB with UltraISO. I can see in F9 menu "USB Hard drive". After I choose it, I get the menu with 4 points (Android Live CD, Android DEBUG, Android Installation and Windows). Windows loading my Win 8.1 OS. The other three lead to the appearance on the screen mark underscores that does not even blink and that all.

Please help me if it possible.

Thank you,

Tim

Massimo D'Anna

Mar 28, 2015, 7:36:48 AM3/28/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
could this guide work also for lenovo yoga tablet 2?  it has a z3745 with intel hd graphics.

Ali Hussan Ahmed

Apr 12, 2015, 7:33:47 AM4/12/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thanks for this Guide, it worked well for me using one of the builds from android-x86.net which includes nouveu support.

The only problem is, I don't seem to have root access - this shows when I try to copy files to \System\

Is there anything I need to make sure of when updating the Grub.cfg?

informatiq...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2015, 7:01:21 AM4/14/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I try to install Android on my T100. I have followed this guide but there is no UEFI HDD drive in my list of devices and nothing for the GRUB partition in the BIOS.
I think that the problem is i didn't have the possibility to choose to put the ext2 partition on the end.
What can i do?

informatiq...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2015, 11:02:44 AM4/14/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
To complete my previous message, I try to format my tab but it doesn't work, There is no UEFI HDD drive.

Bernard

Apr 14, 2015, 12:18:36 PM4/14/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Happened to me. If you set everything up correctly, probably easiest way for you would be to grab EasyUEFI. In the program you will be able to point the Grub bootloader to the Android-x86 partition. It will then show up where you're looking.

For some reason not all machines automatically place the option in the advanced startup screen within windows.

Patrick Horne

Jun 25, 2015, 9:20:53 PM6/25/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible to change the display resolution? I've tried editing the build.prop but it makes android unbootable. Ends up freezing and the "android" screen.

Edmond Wong

Jul 12, 2015, 9:16:00 PM7/12/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys, I see you got a working ARM Translator for android 4.4? Is it possible to use similar methods and apply an ARM translator for genymotion?

Sorry to go off course on this thread. Also, anyone know the moderator of this group so I can free post a new thread to ask you guys? :)

thanks a lot

Koc ylion

Nov 14, 2015, 12:25:19 PM11/14/15
to Android-x86
W dniu sobota, 5 kwietnia 2014 07:25:17 UTC+2 użytkownik Draco Lockhard napisał:
> How to install Android x86
>

> First, download all the required files & software in one package: http://yadi.sk/d/s9sCXJRALmupY

Could you please reupload the package? TIA
Regards

nicson fadriz

Jan 8, 2016, 10:32:13 PM1/8/16
to Android-x86
Hey bro, do you still have the file uploaded on top? if yes, can you upload it again or send it to my email? I beg .. because the files in the link above is dead and can not be downloaded .. please :(

Pada Selasa, 08 April 2014 10.58.37 UTC+7, Chih-Wei Huang menulis:
> [...]

> "Restart" from Windows 8 charm bar (that annoying vertical stripe to the
> right). "Advanced Reboot" menu appears, choose "Use device" -> and surprise!
> New choice appears there - "UEFI HDD drive"! That is your Android. This is
> how you will access it every time (reboot Windows with "Shift").
>
> To return to Windows from Android, just select "Power Off" from drop-down, &
> then simply start your PC again. Do NOT use terminal command "Reboot" - if
> PC is rebooted from Android to Windows without proper shutdown, Bluetooth
> will not work under Windows until switched on\off in Android.
>
> In a rare case when GRUB becomes the default UEFI loader, not letting you to
> start Windows - there's an entry in it to chainload UEFI Windows 8 boot
> manager. You have 5 seconds on every boot to select this entry. Then your PC
> will boot Windows normally, & Windows should automatically correct its

Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org

金雷浪士

Jan 13, 2016, 2:23:35 AM1/13/16
to Android-x86
could anyone reupload this kitkat install package file ?
it's found nowhere...orz

plz.

Djordje Danicic

May 20, 2016, 11:09:15 PM5/20/16
to Android-x86
I cant help you with the old package and guide , BUT I can maybe help you run android 5.1 or 6.0 on your device .

A brief digression on why I am replying to your post at all : I recently got a Microsoft Surface Pro , wanted to dual boot Android alongside Windows on it , and had luck with 2 automated ways :
1. Remix OS installer (pretty straight forward installation, I'm recommending you to install it on a NTFS partition , as it allows you to create am data.img partition of desired size)
2. Using this tool : http://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-8-rt/win-8-development/winapp-android-x86-installer-uefi-t3225748 to install a .img 5.1 ( http://www.fosshub.com/Android-x86.html/android-x86_64-5.1-rc1.img ). Android to your PC/tablet/laptop from Windows enviroment (again , to a NTFS partition , as it lets you set a large enough data partition without you having to biold it via command prompt and copying that file to your instalation partition).

Tried both versions , both worked , but since Wi-Fi didnt work ond that 5.1 image I was forced to use Remix , and i dont like how deeply customized it is ... I like to AOSP look of Android-x86.org images ... but i could not install any of those since my Surface has UEFI ONLY "BIOS" . THIS IS THE MAIN REASON FOR ME TO WRITE THIS POST ... I found a way to install any image to a partition of my choice and set up a custom EFI module to boot any OS you set it to boot .

I Installed the latest 6.0 iso image from this link http://www.fosshub.com/Android-x86.html/android-x86-6.0-20160318.iso ( Android-x86.org ) like this :
a) Download grub2win from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grub2win/ , install it and get to know how to use it .

b) Download an Android image you would like to install to your HDD .

c) Make a bootable USB drive from it (I use Lili http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ ) .

d) Make a NTFS partition on your hard drive in a size you would like ... I made a 36 gigabyte one , because I did not know how much the installation would take and I wanted a 32 gigabyte data.img partition.

e) Reboot your tablet/PC , and pres that button combo that makes it ask you for boot drive selection ... pick the USB you just created . Pick "Android installation entry from the menu that pops up ) . Pick the NTFS partition you created as the one you would like Android to be installed to ( !!! Be careful NOT TO PICK THE PARTITION YOUR WINDOWS IS INSTALLED TO !!! ) . Installer will ask you to format the partition , which you dont have to do if you just created it earlier . After it finishes copying the files , installer will ask you to install grub and grub 2 , install them . Next - installer will ask you to format the boot partition - DONT FORMAT it . Next - make the system R/W , and finally , create a virtual SD card in size that you need .

f) Reboot to windows

g) Start grub2win and install the module first http://prnt.sc/b6j1o6
then http://prntscr.com/b6j27h
then http://prntscr.com/b6j2i4
then http://prntscr.com/b6j2qc
then http://prntscr.com/b6j3p7
then http://prntscr.com/b6j48f
then http://prntscr.com/b6j4df
then http://prntscr.com/b6j7tk
then click "apply"
then click "o.k." at the bottom right on the main menu ,
then "close" and voila ... YOUR UEFI machine can now boot Android as well as Windows .

Sry if i made mistakes or this sounds confusing ... ask questions if you need something .

nicson fadriz

Jul 5, 2016, 9:50:33 AM7/5/16
to Android-x86
hay bro :D
I just read your post,
there is something I want to ask.

My tablet's specs:
Acer P3-171
Intel i5
Ram 2Gb
SSD 128 Gb
GPT + UEFI system
Windows 8.1

I've previously installed the android 6.0 using "Android Installer for UEFI v24" that I downloaded from XDA forum. Android runs fine but bluetooth and camera system is not functioning. I can not play HD games too, such as asphalt and GT Racing, only play casual games.

I want to ask; is your system wifi, bluetooth, and the camera worked well?
and is your android can play HD games such as Asphalt ??

Sorry if my english is not good, I'm an Indonesian.
please respond to my email, thank you very much Djordje Danicic :D

Аманов Тимур

Jul 5, 2016, 9:56:17 AM7/5/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, bro. On my tablet I can't run android.

Djordje Danicic

Aug 11, 2016, 7:44:02 AM8/11/16
to Android-x86
Everything ran fine, HD games worked well . Camera,Bletooth and WiFi worked. What image did you install (where did you download that android image ) ?

nicson fadriz

Oct 21, 2016, 5:42:33 AM10/21/16
to Android-x86
Hai danicic, how are you?
I always download the image file for 64 bits from x86 android site. And when I started to try to play HD games like Real Racing 3, that is appears only a black screen but the voice from game remains. My device is windows tablet Acer P3-171 with IntelHD 4000.

whether Intel HD is not able to play Real Racing 3 or drivers are not going well ?

owh.. and are you've tried Cyanogenmod 13 for android x86?
Is running better than the usual android-x86 ?