Google TTS: can't install voice data

Des Nerger

Jul 21, 2018, 8:01:41 PM7/21/18
to Android-x86
I have a fresh install of android-x86-7.1-r2.iso in VirtualBox.
My partitions have been configured in the usual way: DATA=sda1 SDCARD=sda2 .
Then I've installed "Google Text-To-Speech" from Play Store successfully. The English voice seemed to be working fine.
However, when I try to "install voice data" for additional languages, it fails.
For instance, when I try to install the Chinese (Taiwan) voice (~5.9 MB) it fails with the attached log.

It seems the issue is caused by the TTS not having a read access to its own directory "/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.google.android.tts". That's weird.
I checked, DownloadManager downloads cmn-tw_2.zip successfully and the file appears in the directory. It's just that the TTS doesn't have an access to read it.

Any idea what can cause such a problem?
What can I do to fix it?
tts_full.log

Des Nerger

Jul 23, 2018, 11:19:03 PM7/23/18
to Android-x86
Today I've tried the same with android-x86-6.0-r3.iso. And there the voice downloadings work without any issues.
I'll stick with that version for now, but it's still interesting to know what was going on in 7.1-r2 .

Chih-Wei Huang

Jul 24, 2018, 12:19:16 AM7/24/18
to Android-x86
You can try to upgrade it.
The app and its data should be kept after upgrading.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

iltony alves

Aug 7, 2018, 7:47:43 PM8/7/18
to Android-x86
I did upgrade as you suggested from Android 6 to Android 7 with the voice synthesis in installed is working perfectly
but it did not work the speech synthesis returned to download the voice pack again
I am sending a link with images and my technical specifications and also the error that I am talking about may help