Booting from usb stick loads the system partition installed in hard disk

Chris Xiong

Jan 23, 2018, 6:49:43 AM1/23/18
to Android-x86
Hi,
I built the oreo-x86 branch today and wrote the iso image to a usb stick. I tried it out on my laptop and saw the grub menu as expected.
However after selecting Android x86 Live, it says "Detecting Android x86... found at /dev/nvme0n1p6".
I have nougat-x86 installed in /dev/nvme0n1p6 and it actually boots that instead (without its data partition, which is /dev/nvme0n1p7).
Adding ROOT=/dev/sda1 to the kernel parameters solved the problem.
Is this intended or a bug of the init script?

Chris Xiong

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 26, 2018, 4:37:52 AM1/26/18
to Android-x86
The init search android-x86 the dir of installation
according to SRC= or BOOT_IMAGE= variables.
If both disks have the same dir of installation,
the first one will be used.

Basically, you should change your installation dir
in /dev/nvme0n1p6 to avoid conflict with sda1.

Or, if you have a better idea to handle such a
situation, I'm glad to hear.