4.4-RC1 on Intel N270 / 945GSE / GMA 950 Graphic Issues

Grischa Stanjek

Feb 25, 2014, 11:21:31 AM2/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I'm testing the 4.4-RC1 build on a barebone system (Jetway JBC360F33-B). It's already running pretty good (much better than all other releases) but I'm still encountering some issues:

  • dafault static wallpaper can't be displayed correctly (green patterns instead)
  • "Holo Spiral" live wallpaper is extremely slow (~1fps)
  • video playback is not smooth

It looks like OpenGL driver get's recognized correctly (appears in "about tablet" section). I tried to boot with "nomodeset"/"... It shows the wallpaper then, but the video playback is still a problem and the resolution is off.
Any ideas how to improve the video performance? Everything else is for me working fine so far! I'm trying too use the barebone as a video player...

Another problem I noticed: apk files get downloaded as a .txt file and can't be installed directly (but it worked with the terminal for me).

Thanks a lot in advance and whumbs up for the great work!

Tomasz Kowal

Feb 26, 2014, 4:32:16 AM2/26/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying this build on my HP mini 210 1100ew, which consists of very similar hardware.
  • I'm also getting wallpaper garbled in the form of horizontal bars
  • there's no sound at all
  • I've got problems with resolution (nominal for this hardware is 1024x600, I've upgraded it to 1366x768 )
  • There's no VGA output at any known resolution
  • Internal modem/GPS (Qualcomm Gobi 2000 combo USB card - through mini-pci express) is not being used/detected at all, while on Windows and Ubuntu it does work.
@Grisha: what browser are you using? Ot is it google play problem?

Grischa Stanjek

Mar 4, 2014, 9:19:13 AM3/4/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I also noticed that Android is in phone mode and not in tablet mode... Any ideas?

@Tomasz:
Play Store is working fine here. Chrome and Firefox as well...

sgChen

Mar 4, 2014, 10:34:22 AM3/4/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Had the same issue with APK downloading as TXT, but once I installed Chrome, I was able to download APKs as is. As to the display, I have an Acer aoa150 with same processor and chipset as yours, so maybe this might help. I didn't get any wallpaper issue, but the icons didn't show quite right, so I installed the Apex launcher. Apex takes over your desktop and at least for me everything shows up perfectly. Video play back will be a bit slow depending on the format and resolution as the N270 is a pretty weak processor. I don't have any problems playing videos in AVI, WMV and MP4 up to 720p with MX player. Anything higher is hit and miss.

Grischa

Mar 5, 2014, 9:19:13 AM3/5/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I also have the wallpaper issue using apex launcher. See screenshot here: http://goo.gl/HsULTo ... I took it with my phone because I couldn't figure out how to create a "real" screenshot :)

I tried MX Player as well but it's still pretty bad. Playback is a bit better using it with SW Decoding instead of HW. (Which should be opposite I guess).

Any ideas how to improve the video performance?
Had the same issue with APK downloading as TXT, but once I installed Chrome, I was able to download APKs as is. As to the display, I have an Acer aoa150 with same processor and chipset as yours, so maybe this might help. I didn't get any wallpaper issue, but the icons didn't show quite right, so I installed the Apex launcher. Apex takes over your desktop and at least for me everything shows up perfectly. Video play back will be a bit slow depending on the format and resolution as the N270 is a pretty weak processor. I don't have any problems playing videos in AVI, WMV and MP4 up to 720p with MX player. Anything higher is hit and miss.

sgChen

Mar 6, 2014, 1:36:23 AM3/6/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
That's unfortunate that you were not able to resolve the wallpaper issue same as I. As to the video player I think you're just hitting the limitations of the GMA 950 and N270 capabilities. I too have noticed that in MX player the SW decoder works better with certain formats like WMV. Again it all comes down to resolution. I have not noticed any problems with playing all formats up to 720p. Anything higher, I think you're asking a lot out of a very weak chip. Hope you find another solution to the wallpaper issue, good luck.