Softmaker Office Suite on the Android-x86 Port?

jakfish

Jul 23, 2012, 10:28:07 AM7/23/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
http://softmaker.com/english/ofa_en.htm

I've used Softmaker since Windows CE up through Linux. It's the best out there, but I can't get their beta app for Android to run. With the ARM libs, it installs on a ext2 sd card, but won't start.

Has anybody else had any luck?

Jake

Dan

Jul 25, 2012, 9:09:37 AM7/25/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
That one doesn't look very promising:

System requirements

  • Smartphones and tablets running Android 2.2 or higher
  • ARM-compatible CPU
  • 64 MByte RAM

I think the libreoffice port (when it's ready) will hold more promise, and you can't forget google docs.  Those third pary MS viewer and editors are usually a disaster.  Dataviz has been in this business for years.  If you need MS compatability, I would look there first: http://www.dataviz.com/DTG_android.html

Ketut Putu Kumajaya

Jul 25, 2012, 9:25:07 AM7/25/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com

jakfish

Jul 25, 2012, 11:15:38 AM7/25/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com

The interesting thing about Softmaker on Android-x86 is that the apps install, start, and will accept both registration code (free, since everything's in beta) and user name and email.  But the next screen shows an error when the app tries to connect with the Softmaker server.

This progress was not the case before the arrival of the ARM libs.

In the Softmaker forums, this connection error is not just with Android-x86.  I've posted the problem there, and Softmaker seems reasonably interested in fixing it.  It would serve them well, I think, since Android-x86 machines almost always have a physical keyboard.

I'm curious to see if anyone else can get past the connect screen, since the application appears to run on Android-x86.

In the meantime, thanks for for the LibreOffice link.  That looks very promising.  I use QuickOffice and Kingsoft, both of which have their problems.  With the absence of smart quotes and other formal punctuation, a polished manuscript remains impossible on Android.  that's why I'm anxious for Textmaker or LibreOffice