Prebuilt GCC x86_64-linux-glibc2.11-4.6 has been removed by Google

Hao Lin

Nov 7, 2021, 7:35:58 AM11/7/21
to Android-x86
Dear Android x86 Developers,

When syncing and compiling Android x86, I found that Google has removed supports for x86_64-linux-glibc2.11-4.6 in 2nd, Nov. However, the Android x86 repo tracks AOSP's master branch for the prebuilts. As a result, recent repo syncing will cause the prebuilts to be removed and thus cannot compile kernel (at least for kernel 4.9 in Android 7.1) which uses the 4.6 GCC as its compiler. It would be better that the repo fixes the branch to eb5c9f0ae36bf964f6855bde54e1b387e2c26bb6, which is the latest branch before its removal.

Thanks.

Chih-Wei Huang

Nov 7, 2021, 9:25:41 AM11/7/21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hao Lin <linha...@gmail.com> 於 2021年11月7日 週日 下午8:36寫道:
> Dear Android x86 Developers,
> When syncing and compiling Android x86, I found that Google has removed supports for x86_64-linux-glibc2.11-4.6 in 2nd, Nov. However, the Android x86 repo tracks AOSP's master branch for the prebuilts. As a result, recent repo syncing will cause the prebuilts to be removed and thus cannot compile kernel (at least for kernel 4.9 in Android 7.1) which uses the 4.6 GCC as its compiler. It would be better that the repo fixes the branch to eb5c9f0ae36bf964f6855bde54e1b387e2c26bb6, which is the latest branch before its removal.

Thank you for pointing this out.
Will fix it soon.

Best Regards,
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Jordan Livesey

Nov 8, 2021, 7:50:56 AM11/8/21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
You have to remember though, that Android was primarily designed for phones and tablets, so it makes sense for Google to remove such components.
Feb 10, 2022, 6:38:32 AM2/10/22
to Android-x86
Hi all,

After a "repo sync" command, I tried to build the .iso image, but the building process throw me an error that said that the prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/host/x86_64-linux-glibc2.11-4.6/bin/x86_64-linux-gcc is missing . I searched into the source code and I found out that on prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/host/ there are two folders with similar names: x86_64-linux-glibc2.11-4.6 and x86_64-linux-glibc2.17-4.8 .
I think that if I could change the configuration file (or makefile) that specify the version of the gcc that building process is using (form 4.6 to 4.8), the problem may be solved, or in the worst case scenario, bypassed.

Can anyone help me with the information regarding the location in the source code of the above mentioned file, or any information on the matter that may guide me to some answer.

Thank you!

Huy Minh Bùi

Feb 16, 2022, 12:39:16 PM2/16/22
to Android-x86