Houdini not working for Ax86 4.4 Kitkat latest release

Maree

Aug 16, 2016, 12:58:43 PM8/16/16
to Android-x86
It seems Houdini isn't working for the Kitkat Android version. Does anyone have any update regarding this?

When I tried to run some apps I keep getting this:

houdini error - app not supported

We added it to Ax86 source code and built but it doesn't seem to work correctly.

Maree

Aug 16, 2016, 1:02:54 PM8/16/16
to Android-x86
is possible that houdini uses CPU virtualization instructions
like VT-x
so that explains why it wouldn't work on a virtual machine.....

Maree

Aug 16, 2016, 1:57:33 PM8/16/16
to Android-x86
It seems even the officail Kitkat builds from Ax86 website don't work either... the houdini error

Chih-Wei Huang

Aug 16, 2016, 9:55:06 PM8/16/16
to Android-x86
> It seems Houdini isn't working for the Kitkat Android version. Does anyone
> have any update regarding this?
>
> When I tried to run some apps I keep getting this:
>
> houdini error - app not supported

What app is it?

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Maree

Aug 16, 2016, 11:16:51 PM8/16/16
to Android-x86
I actually tried 50 different ones that are all ARM and the x86 ones work but the ARM Doesn't.

Also they all crash exaclly as explained in the attached image due to the ARM--x86 issue.

Do you have any feedback regarding why the Houdini isn't working? Does it only work on Intel or no? :)
763826255431516160.jpg

Chih-Wei Huang

Aug 16, 2016, 11:40:18 PM8/16/16
to Android-x86
> I actually tried 50 different ones that are all ARM and the x86 ones work
> but the ARM Doesn't.

I'm asking what app you tried exactly?
Surely not all apps are compatible with houdini.

> Also they all crash exaclly as explained in the attached image due to the
> ARM--x86 issue.
>
> Do you have any feedback regarding why the Houdini isn't working? Does it
> only work on Intel or no? :)

Get this simple apk to test to see
if you have houdini installed correctly:

https://osdn.jp/dl/android-x86/SimpleJNI.apk

If not, make sure your internet connection is ok
and wait until houdini download finished
(check /system/lib/arm/libhoudini.so)

DDS Central

Aug 17, 2016, 3:11:26 AM8/17/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Verified server-side, everything seems to be fine.

Povilas Staniulis

Aug 17, 2016, 8:56:55 AM8/17/16
to andro...@googlegroups.com
For kitkat, try running enable_houdini from terminal (as root).

Maree

Aug 17, 2016, 11:47:30 AM8/17/16
to Android-x86
thank you, I did enable it and it is enabled. This image shows the error I'm facing
765937440297631744.png

Maree

Aug 17, 2016, 11:58:56 AM8/17/16
to Android-x86
also, the error I'm getting I'm running this on a physical device thats supported with GPU.... is it just that Houdini isn't that good? like it only works with 50% of apps and not all...

Hypo Turtle

Aug 17, 2016, 12:17:18 PM8/17/16
to Android-x86
You're not exactly running it on a physical device, as you are running it on a virtual device.

Unless you've also ran a hardware installation.

Maree

Aug 17, 2016, 12:19:46 PM8/17/16
to Android-x86
it's a hardware installation with adb over network

Maree

Aug 17, 2016, 12:28:56 PM8/17/16
to Android-x86
Sorry that app requires Lollipop and I'm running this on Kitkat.

the attached image shows the error I'm facing with houdini on kitkat
765937440297631744.png

Maree

Aug 19, 2016, 8:51:18 PM8/19/16
to Android-x86
Hello Povilas and Chih,

I was hoping you might of had a chance to see the error. It seems Houdini doesn't support many apps and gives an error to many of them.. (like down in the images I attached in the above messages. Their houdini related to why the app crashed)