GearLock for Android-x86 (Install custom kernel/mesa and more)

AXON

May 19, 2020, 3:28:28 AM5/19/20
to Android-x86
Hi, This is going to be my first post here and this is mainly for introducing a project on which I've been working.
So, this is basically GearLock with the intention of making it easier on customizing android-x86.

Here are some highlights of GearLock features:
  • Let's you install packages like kernel, mesa and more with a powerful package-manager.
  • An early RECOVERY MODE which allows you to even repair OS ext4-partition with e2fsck.
  • Hook executables during certain boot-stages. (init, post-fs, post-fs-data, boot-post, boot-comp)
  • Brings a native linux command-line environment with some useful linux utilities (Not depended on system and can be executed even while having the system deleted)
  • Complete developer tools available and more useful build-in functions for the user.
Here is a quick demo of GearLock on a *booted system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXBdcvyqc6Q

Currently we have a rich library of Kernel, mesa and extension packages.
Kernel packages starting from 4.9x until 5.6.x which also includes xanmodded and liqurix(zen) patched kernel alongside some GoogleLTS ones.
And for mesa we have from 17.2.x upto 20.0.8 by far.
Thanks to my friend @Hmtheboy154 since he bought most of them alongside me.
To find all the available packages & extensions you can look here
https://supreme-gamers.com/resources/categories/gearlock.5

Here is the developer documentation written by me :)
It also has ready to use kernel and mesa installation script.
https://supreme-gamers.com/gearlock

Lastly what i want to say is, on behalf of android-x86 project I could learn many new things and it's been fun.
And one more thing, I didn't make GearLock completely opensource yet.
Since I know a few fools who'd even bare to claim this as their own property after putting their own labels on it and sue me afterwards 😂
So, I'd really appreciate it if anyone can suggest me what to do in such situation

AXON

May 19, 2020, 3:30:19 AM5/19/20
to Android-x86
Oh and I forgot, to download gearlock-installer and know more about it you can have a look at the link below
https://supreme-gamers.com/resources/gearlock-extend-the-limits-of-android-x86.40/

Ashutosh prusty

May 19, 2020, 5:23:53 AM5/19/20
to Android-x86
Are those kernel package/mesa/any gearlock extension Android version independent?
it was designed for phoenixos DM & that's android 6 or 7, 8 don't remember.
So would it work in say android x86 8/9 or bliss 11?
What about magisk & xposed extension. AFAIK xposed not made for x86_64 system yet.

AXON

May 19, 2020, 5:47:52 AM5/19/20
to Android-x86

Only mesa & xposed is, those needs android version specific build.
Currently the mesa packages available for GearLock were compiled over nougat source since most of the users at our forum use nougat.

And for installing magisk, gearlock gets the latest flashable magisk.zip from https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/latest then patches the boot images in a custom way.
You can also specify a custom version to install. I found the latest magisk to be quite unstable with android-x86. Better go with v19.3.
Message has been deleted

Jon West

Oct 27, 2020, 8:38:53 AM10/27/20
to Android-x86
Nice that you're finally announcing it @axon!! Here are a couple Gearlock extensions I created from Bliss OS & Android-Generic builds of Android 10: https://sourceforge.net/projects/blissos-dev/files/Android-Generic/PC/gearlock_extensions/

On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 4:28:42 AM UTC-4 crw wrote:
You didnt make an open-source project because of a few fools?
Take examples from other open-source projects like firefox, android-x86 and chromium

faiz ayoub

Oct 27, 2020, 12:22:58 PM10/27/20
to Android-x86
hello friend i need mesa gl 17 for  Phenix os based on android 5.1.1

crw

Oct 30, 2020, 6:43:41 AM10/30/20
to Android-x86
I'm sure they won't compile mesa for you since no one is using lollipops now

crw

Oct 30, 2020, 10:34:45 PM10/30/20
to Android-x86
Only kernel works, those mesa work with only android 10

Mauro Rossi

Oct 31, 2020, 4:43:36 AM10/31/20
to Android-x86
Hello

On Saturday, October 31, 2020 at 3:34:45 AM UTC+1, crw wrote:
Only kernel works, those mesa work with only android 10

mesa between version 18.3 and 20.1 should work as we now have drm_gralloc HEAD aligned for nougat-x86 to pie-x86

While mesa 20.2 and mesa 20.3 would require drm_gralloc module to be updated
because of the screen/winsys changes in mesa that propagated changes in drm_gralloc

As a reference you may check the additional commits needed

Another somehow related topic, tt would be interesting if android-x86 could move to a GSI based approach and if Gearlock could help in that transition

Mauro

youling 257

Oct 31, 2020, 6:07:17 AM10/31/20
to Android-x86
our mean is android 5/7/9/10 use different libcxx and clang version, build mesa and llvm for 5/7/9/10 need repo full android x86 5/7/9/10 source code.
you only help mesa developer to fix mesa build problem on android x86 9/10.
gbm/drm_gralloc not best choose for android-x86 7 to 10, best choose is minigbm.

在 2020年10月31日星期六 UTC+8下午4:43:36,Mauro Rossi写道:

youling 257

Oct 31, 2020, 6:21:03 AM10/31/20
to Android-x86
gearlock only is a tool for users, if no people to repo source and build the users need things.

I can build i need things, switch them use magisk modules, just for myself.

在 2020年10月31日星期六 UTC+8下午4:43:36,Mauro Rossi写道:

Mauro Rossi

Oct 31, 2020, 10:41:45 AM10/31/20
to Android-x86

On Tuesday, October 27, 2020 at 5:22:58 PM UTC+1, faiz ayoub wrote:
hello friend i need mesa gl 17 for  Phenix os based on android 5.1.1

Hello, you may try to start with checking out and try to build this branch,
but I sincerely do not know what build error or issue you may encounter:

Mauro Rossi

Oct 31, 2020, 11:15:22 AM10/31/20
to Android-x86

On Saturday, October 31, 2020 at 11:07:17 AM UTC+1, youling 257 wrote:
our mean is android 5/7/9/10 use different libcxx and clang version, build mesa and llvm for 5/7/9/10 need repo full android x86 5/7/9/10 source code.

Thanks for explaining your goals, as a comment Android 5 lollipop development is stopped in android-x86 AFAIK

you only help mesa developer to fix mesa build problem on android x86 9/10.

Everyone has its goals and I know my (medium - low) coding skill limits

I'm not here to fix things for everything, that is not how Open Source community and life works

I do not dare to try to maintain full stack for all those Android versions,
pie-x86 and q-x86 are our active development branches

It is already difficult enough to pay attention to what happens in drm_hwcomposer and fix *only* the weekly mesa build systematic breakages

Feel free to use my llvm and llvm-project branches with Android.mk support and adapt them for your Android 5,7 needs
the last one is https://github.com/maurossi/llvm-project/tree/release_10.x_kati which is enough for latest mesa requirements, I tried with oreo-x86 only,
but if it does not work with Android 5/7 then feel free to fix

In android-x86 repo only the target projects of active branches are updated

In the exact moment native bridge is fixed in pie-x86 all this urge to have N x M android and mesa versions
will simply disappear,

don't you logically agree?

gbm/drm_gralloc not best choose for android-x86 7 to 10, best choose is minigbm.

It depends on how many x86 oriented drivers actually work with minigbm
at the moment only amdgpu backed works with AOSP derived branch
and for intel only celadon minigbm with gralloc1

minigbm is evolving to gralloc3 and gralloc4 API which is not available in older Android versions
dri backed of minigbm could be used for other drivers but it's not there

Considering i965 and amdgpu at the moment with the following HACK
"ResolverActivity: use hardware rendering for Intent Resolver dialog"
gbm_gralloc and minigbm are more or less on par,

drm_gralloc support is going to be dropped in mesa at some point
and more and more hacks will be required to mainain it,
that's why we're trying to move to migbm based grallocs

Of course you can exploit the flexibility of GRALLOC=minigbm cmdline option to select the gralloc of your preference

Huy Minh Bui

Oct 31, 2020, 12:06:09 PM10/31/20
to Android-x86

> In the exact moment native bridge is fixed in pie-x86 all this urge to have N x M android and mesa versions
> will simply disappear,
>
> don't you logically agree?

The problem is that there are other "closed source" Android-x86 project like PrimeOS and PhoenixOS have something that we don't have : a native keymapper for games. Especially PhoenixOS with their native keymapper, which is the reason why I still keep making mesa & kernel packages for 7.1.x for newer hardware.

I'd love to switch to newer Android since it have a lot of feature, moreover with the new houdini for 9.x that can run arm64 apps can help a lot. But until then, we still have to stick with this situation.

Vào lúc 22:15:22 UTC+7 ngày Thứ Bảy, 31 tháng 10, 2020, issor...@gmail.com đã viết:
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Huy Minh Bui

Nov 1, 2020, 9:17:26 AM11/1/20
to Android-x86
Octopus put you in a separate data which is a big disadvantage. Not to mention it's not working as well as the one in PhoenixOS. And Panda is not a free app, and it need to do some trick to make it work.

Some people are trying to port the "Game Helper" app on PhoenixOS because they think that's the main app handle keymapper. But what they did not know it's that the app is just a wrapper to turn on keymapping layers on apps and camera. The real keymapper tool is inside PhoenixOS system itself, decompile and reverse engineer frameworks and libs inside and you know what I am talking about.

Vào lúc 18:38:51 UTC+7 ngày Chủ Nhật, 1 tháng 11, 2020, crw đã viết:
What about octopus?
http://bbs.phoenixstudio.org/en/showthread.php?tid=14911&highlight=Free+fire
This modded version of octopus work with android 8 and 9 (pre activated)
And bliss OS developer said the telegram users reported that the latest version of panda mouse works for them, which is also made by octopus.
Message has been deleted