Customizing the kernel does not work

Soham Sinha

Jun 20, 2019, 10:05:32 PM6/20/19
to Android-x86
I want to enable some kernel module. I have followed the guide given here: https://www.android-x86.org/documentation/customize_kernel.html
When I change the menuconfig, I enable, for example, CAN, VCAN, etc., by Y or M. However, when I build the kernel or the iso_img, the kernel modules are not present in the $OUT directory. They are also not there when I boot up Android and try to find at libs/module/... or modprobe it. I guess the config is not affecting the build. Any clue?

Chih-Wei Huang

Jun 20, 2019, 10:59:26 PM6/20/19
to Android-x86
Soham Sinha <soh...@bu.edu> 於 2019年6月21日 週五 上午10:05寫道:

> I want to enable some kernel module. I have followed the guide given here: https://www.android-x86.org/documentation/customize_kernel.html
> When I change the menuconfig, I enable, for example, CAN, VCAN, etc., by Y or M. However, when I build the kernel or the iso_img, the kernel modules are not present in the $OUT directory. They are also not there when I boot up Android and try to find at libs/module/... or modprobe it. I guess the config is not affecting the build. Any clue?

If you changed the kernel config,
'make iso_img' will install modules, but
'make kernel' won't.
I'm just aware of the flaw in the makefile.
I've phased in a simple patch to fix it.
Please sync it.

On the other hand, if you change the kernel source
without touching the kernel config,
'make iso_img' and 'make kernel' won't rebuild the kernel.
That's a known issue since it's difficult to seamless integrate
both AOSP and kernel makefiles. At least I haven't found a way.
To workaround it, do

rm $OUT/obj/kernel/.config

Then do 'make iso_img' or 'make kernel'.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project