Nougat 7.1-r5 and LTE 4G Modems

Jason Gaunt

Mar 10, 2021, 6:02:37 AM3/10/21
to Android-x86
Hello everyone,

I recently bought an Intel laptop (Specifically a Getac V110-G3) that came pre-installed with a Sierra Wireless EM7305 M.2 LTE modem. This worked out of the box with Windows 10, however I am unable to get it to work with Android x86 7.1-r5 (Nougat).

7.1-r5 otherwise runs perfectly on this laptop, kudos to the developers :)

Sierra Wireless documentation claimed this LTE modem would work in Nougat on x86, which led to me buying this specific laptop, however after pouring 30-40 hours into repeatedly building Android x86 from source and their drivers, it turned out the shipped pre-compiled RIL binaries only supports Android on ARM :(

My question to this group is this; Does anyone know of a LTE / 4G modem that works with Android x86 7.1-r5 (Nougat), or even better, know how to get this LTE modem working?

Thanks in advance,
Jay

Povilas Staniulis

Mar 10, 2021, 6:20:18 AM3/10/21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On 2021-03-10 13:02, Jason Gaunt wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I recently bought an Intel laptop (Specifically a Getac V110-G3) that
> came pre-installed with a Sierra Wireless EM7305 M.2 LTE modem. This
> worked out of the box with Windows 10, however I am unable to get it
> to work with Android x86 7.1-r5 (Nougat).
>
> 7.1-r5 otherwise runs /perfectly /on this laptop, kudos to the
> developers :)
>
> Sierra Wireless documentation claimed this LTE modem would work in
> Nougat on x86, which led to me buying this specific laptop, however
> after pouring 30-40 hours into repeatedly building Android x86 from
> source and their drivers, it turned out the shipped pre-compiled RIL
> binaries only supports Android on ARM :(
>
> My question to this group is this; *Does anyone know of a LTE / 4G
> modem that works with Android x86 7.1-r5 (Nougat), or even better,
> know how to get this LTE modem working?*
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jay
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-x86/ff1794f5-f7b1-413a-9760-68de1d00db7an%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-x86/ff1794f5-f7b1-413a-9760-68de1d00db7an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

AFAIK, there's no working RIL implementation for Android x86.

Jason Gaunt

Mar 10, 2021, 6:39:03 AM3/10/21
to Android-x86
I would be incredibly disheartened if that were the case, there are plenty of x86 laptops and tablets out there with wwan modems :(