DHCP only support - NO STATIC IP ETHERNET ?

androidx86Newbie

Jun 23, 2014, 7:07:51 AM6/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Could anyone share how dhcp settings for android x86 are different from static IP settings ? Is Static IP supported for apps or only for browser ?

Android x86 RC1 documentation has a reference on feature support of ethernet with dhcp only mode .(http://www.android-x86.org/releases/releasenote-4-4-rc1). And this feature is working perfectly fine.

But another feature of Ethernet - Static IP is working partially.
 + IP is set successfully using ifconfig and routing works.
 + Able to surf using Default Browser with Android.
 - Name resolution not happening correctly . After starting dnsmasq its able to resolve hostnames but post starting dnsmasq device response time for an action is large.
 - Some apps not able to connect successfully and are getting connection time out.

Regards,

Chih-Wei Huang

Jun 23, 2014, 11:36:18 PM6/23/14
to Android-x86
> Hi,
>
> Could anyone share how dhcp settings for android x86 are different from
> static IP settings ? Is Static IP supported for apps or only for browser ?
>
> Android x86 RC1 documentation has a reference on feature support of ethernet
> with dhcp only mode
> .(http://www.android-x86.org/releases/releasenote-4-4-rc1). And this feature
> is working perfectly fine.
> But another feature of Ethernet - Static IP is working partially.

There is no code and UI to set static ip.
But if you can set it manually, it should work.

> + IP is set successfully using ifconfig and routing works.
> + Able to surf using Default Browser with Android.
> - Name resolution not happening correctly . After starting dnsmasq its able

Have you set the dns? Try

setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8 (or ip of your preferred dns)

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

androidx86Newbie

Jun 24, 2014, 10:41:03 AM6/24/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Chih-Wei for quick reply.

I have set Static IP manually and also set dns props . Browser is able to connect with the required servers and get reply but client app is not able to communicate.

Its using following java call to check connectivity and returning value as null.
NetworkInfo activeNetwork = getActiveNetwork(context);

Are the some more settings other than  1) ifconfig 2) set route 3) set dns for making static IP to show as active for getActiveNetwork call ?

androidx86Newbie

Jun 25, 2014, 5:22:24 AM6/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chih-Wei Huang,

I have checked Static IP for Wifi , its working good for the same app which is failing for static IP with Ethernet.

Are there plans to support Ethernet Static Ip in future releases of Android x86 ?

Thanks,

Computer Plaza

Jun 27, 2014, 11:58:35 AM6/27/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Try "ethernet droid " app from play store. Click in app's settings.

android...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2014, 10:44:58 PM6/29/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I used this commands to setup Static IP address on ETHERNET, all works , Internet browser, google authentication and apps,

but Google Play Store dont download the App ! I dont know why ! Maybe is relation with a hotplug... Any ideas ?

# netcfg eth0 up
# ip addr add 192.168.0.150/24 dev eth0
# route add default gw 192.168.0.1 dev eth0

# ip route show

# ndc resolver flushif eth0
# ndc resolver flushdefaultif
# ndc resolver setifdns eth0 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
# ndc resolver setdefaultif eth0

android...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2014, 10:59:45 PM6/29/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I tested "Ethernet Droid" app, it works fine only if you first get IP from a DHCP Server, this is same problem if u do with commands that i posted before...

 If you start Android without a DHCP on LAN and the sytem dont get a IP, 'Ethernet Droid' will not activate the new IP...

Any idea ?

Scali

May 28, 2016, 12:35:32 PM5/28/16
to Android-x86
I'm having the same problem.
I’ve installed the brand new version 4.4 R5 from android-x86 site directly on my desktop.
So, I don’t have wifi and at my work I need to access without DHCP (Fixed IP only).
I get access to internet using this tutorial (hxxp://allskyee.blogspot.com.br/2014/09/setting-up-network-for-android-x86.html) but I cant download anything and google service does not recognize I’m online.
Surfing on the web I’ve found an ethernet patch, but I don’t know how to install, neither where can I download it (https://goo.gl/QX8DOS).
Could anyone help me please?