4.4-RC2 GPT/UEFI Dual Boot Windows 8

Insane Destiny

Jun 12, 2014, 1:11:21 AM6/12/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Since I have been desperately trying to find a way to do this on my Samsung Ativ Smart PC 700t with the latest update and not finding any up to date answers, I figure I should share my success with the community.  I don't have much time to write up an entire guide and it would be somewhat pointless to copy the steps others have already have written, so I will just give a brief description on how I managed to do this.

Thanks and credit go out to the other members guides that I initially followed (Draco Lockhard, Euphoria Angel, and Li Tan)

But when replacing the kernel in the new 4.4-RC2 with the kernel's they provided that were supposedly UEFI patched, I had no luck booting, installing, or launching from a LiveCD. I would get everything from kernel panics to blinking cursors, and blank screens.

So in desperation, I decided to copy an ext2 install from a fresh install of 4.4-RC2 done on 32GB split partition (FAT32 and EXT2) flash drive.  This install was completely unmodified which I then copied behind the Grub2 Ubunutu partition for launch.  Made basic changes to the the parameters to match standard 4.4-RC2 parameters, and to my amazement it launched on the first try.

So now I have a dual boot Windows 8.1/Android 4.4-RC2 UEFI/GPT Samsung Ativ 700t with great ARM translation, lightning fast, and almost all devices are functioning (except auto rotate).  I have since changed my BIOS to UEFI boot only with Secure Boot disabled.

Thank you to everyone in the community for all your hard work, I love my new machine!  I am now off to figure out BCEdit with Windows GUI touch multiboot.

Any questions feel free to let me know!

mike r

Jun 18, 2014, 6:53:03 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
What Exactly is GPT/UEFI?? Is This a New FileSystem, Or Grub, Or What?>

Mike

Mr le V

Jun 18, 2014, 7:31:23 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

mike r

Jun 18, 2014, 7:47:49 PM6/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Ok Thanks

Mike

Teo

Sep 23, 2014, 2:45:39 AM9/23/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
So as far as i understood you:

you followed this guide:

but you used the original Android 4.4.RC2 files extracted from the extracted img file. So you just didn't use the original android folder from the zip file but instad the RC2 files?:
Install USB
EFI
android
boot