Adding google Maps support to A project

Bhavil Jain

Sep 16, 2016, 3:38:29 AM9/16/16
to Android Compatibility Library for Google Maps - Support
Hi Everyone,

I'm I'm fairly new to this and am Learning App Development, so forgive me if this question has already been asked and answered cause I couldn't find the answer over the web.

I'm currently creating a test maps/location-sensing project.(I take coaching at a local coaching class).

My tutor told me that in order to use the location service we need to install the google play services support into our project in the form of a library. but that has proved to be an impossible task.

Things that I've found over the web :
1.  To set up play services you need to import - android-sdk\extras\google\google-play-services\libproject\google-play-services_lib - into your work space.
2. v30 and up removed the library folder.

Things i did :
1. Downgraded to v29 and imported the library into the work space (got errors in the build,after setting target to 6.0, they went away). Set the library dependence into my application project (target is 6.0). but even then i was having errors with some imports like
import com.google.android.gms.common.GooglePlayServicesClient;
import com.google.android.gms.location.LocationClient;

though import com.google.android.gms.common.ConnectionResult; doesn't give me any error.

I checked and the 2 error giving classes actually do not exist in the library where as the one thats not giving any error is there.

I'm not able to understand how to proceed with this.

google's instructions about using play services with eclipse have not been updated as they still instruct to import the google-play-services_lib folder, which does not exist anymore.

I searched over the net and found a few things over stacksoverflow.
1. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37776582/doesnt-exist-google-play-services-libproject-folder : play services folder has changed to /extras/google/m2repository/com/google/android/gms. I did what was stated in the answer, but it didn't work.

now everything has gotten very confusing.

can someone please explain to me how to create a basic map/location app?

Bhavil Jain

Sep 26, 2016, 11:10:17 PM9/26/16
to Android Compatibility Library for Google Maps - Support
Not even a single reply in 10 days??
Please help me out guys!!

Pete Doyle

Sep 26, 2016, 11:30:20 PM9/26/16
to android-support-v4...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bhavil,
Sorry for the delay.  This project (https://github.com/petedoyle/android-support-v4-googlemaps) exists to help in writing apps that use the Google Maps SDK v1 for Android inside Fragments. There used to be a limitation in Maps v1 that made that difficult.  However, in 2012 Google released v2 of their Maps API which no longer has any limitations around use in Fragments. Because of that, this library is no longer useful.

To get started with the new v2 Google Maps API, see:

Then see the Getting Started links which will help you set up both Maps API v2 along with Google Play Services.  It's pretty simple if you're using Gradle to build your app.

Google also has some sample code for Maps API v2 here:

Best of luck! Let me know if I can help any other way.

Thanks!
Pete

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 8:10 PM, Bhavil Jain <bhavil...@gmail.com> wrote:
Not even a single reply in 10 days??
Please help me out guys!!

Bhavil Jain

Sep 27, 2016, 2:48:31 AM9/27/16
to android-support-v4...@googlegroups.com
Hey Pete,

Thanks for the help... I'll get to reading and trying th

Bhavil Jain

Oct 3, 2016, 7:30:12 AM10/3/16
to android-support-v4...@googlegroups.com

Hey Pete,

Thank you for the guidance, I was finally able to try it out.. The basic map worked. By default if was showing Sydney.

But when I tried to get a different location it did not work as intended. I tried it with both ways latlng and latlng zoom. Any idea about that? I'm getting lat lng from Google maps site on Chrome.

Regards,
Bhavil Jain