Install GApps Manually

Thien Pow Chong

Nov 21, 2016, 8:12:31 PM11/21/16
to Android-rpi
1. go to http://opengapps.org/
2. pick on the ARM, Android version, and Pico, then click on Red Button and Download the zip file
3. extract all the .lz file inside every folder
4. ignore the dpi/resolution folder that it extracted...
5. copy the folder inside each extracted file to become the folder structure as shown in the pic below, create the folder manually if needed.

6. ignore the map, chrome, youtube bcos they are not in pico package.
7. now go connect to your pi via adb connect 192.168.x.x
8.
adb root
adb remount
adb shell
"rm -rf system/priv-app/PackageInstaller"

9. go into the gapps folder you have created with all the files extracted... cd gapps

10.
adb push system /
adb shell
"pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION"
adb shell
"pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION"
adb shell
"pm grant com.google.android.setupwizard android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE"
adb shell
"pm grant com.google.android.setupwizard android.permission.READ_CONTACTS"
adb reboot

after reboot, ignore any "unfortunately ... has stopped" message if got any... and please don't rush to open the apps yet, else it will cache the error and make things more complicated.

Fix Errors via Settings:
1. go to Settings->Apps
2. go into all the newly installed google apps, and go into the permissions, allow all of it that it suggest you to enable.
3. double check if any google apps that you miss adding the permissions.
4. reboot again by typing:
adb connect 192.168..x.x
adb reboot
5. done

Note:
if you didn't listen and rushed to open apps before fixing the permissions, you will have to go to Settings->Apps->top right corner menu choose "Reset app preferences", then reboot, and then go fix the permissions first, then reboot, then it should be ok.

FOLDER.png

Brian Gregson

Jan 26, 2017, 9:44:26 PM1/26/17
to Android-rpi
10.
adb push system /

Should be
adb push system /system

wallc...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2017, 3:30:09 PM3/18/17
to Android-rpi
Anyone successfully do this? I get errors when trying to do the permission grants and then on reboot it just hangs at the android loading screen.

realprodu...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2017, 1:54:53 AM3/26/17
to Android-rpi
no why cant we just side load it with the firetv pc application I did that with 6.0

john...@googlemail.com

Mar 27, 2017, 2:54:50 PM3/27/17
to Android-rpi
Thank you very much, the permission part helped me getting google play running!

kundub...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2017, 4:54:28 AM6/1/17
to Android-rpi, john...@googlemail.com

On Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 12:24:50 AM UTC+5:30, john...@googlemail.com wrote:
Thank you very much, the permission part helped me getting google play running!

Do we have to extract the .lz files or only the zip containing .lz files?

kundub...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2017, 5:53:06 AM6/1/17
to Android-rpi
Thanks! I was not able to flash gapps and this came to rescue.

jeromdi...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2017, 2:02:50 PM6/17/17
to Android-rpi
I have :

 failed to copy system /system/etc/sysconfig/whitelist_com.android.omadm.service.xml : read only file system

I changed the permission on all thel files and directories in system but it doesn't change anything.

How would you fix this problem ?
android 5.1

rowlandl...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2018, 11:56:12 AM2/20/18
to Android-rpi
Do the .lz files have to be unziped or not??

ohu...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2018, 11:23:59 PM3/17/18
to Android-rpi
how did you do it

kjth...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2018, 3:41:31 AM4/27/18
to Android-rpi
Same problem at loading screen. Any idea how to revert???

Please help, thank you!

pqdz...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2018, 12:53:48 AM8/14/18
to Android-rpi
Should change this item from
10.
adb push system /

to:
adb push system /system
???

I tried the original command despite it's illogical and got an error and wrong folder structure.

soton...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2019, 1:40:27 AM2/14/19
to Android-rpi
You are wrong: