Cross-check peyo's JH7100 Android port

Ruinland Tsai

Nov 2, 2022, 3:33:56 AM11/2/22
to android-risc-v
(cross-posting from RISC-V Android-SIG for reaching the outside parties)

Hi all,

Recently I got the chance to reproduce the JH7100 Android port made by
Peyo. And he is very kind to help when I bumped into the troubles.

So I guess it would be nice to share my two cents for people who are
eagering to try this wonderful work.

Firstly, please choose the micro SD cards made by some bigger brands
e.g. Samsung or Kingston; trust me, you don't want to waste your time
on debugging weird boot failures.

Secondly, the partition table format I used is MBR. fdisk could handle
it well and set the boot flag correctly (by pressing `a` key after a
successful partitioning.)

Thirdly, as expected, the GUI is a bit quirky. The combination I tried
that works is the latest build of vendorimage with the 5.15 kernel and
DTB pair. The latest 6.00 kernel somewhat struggles with my monitors.

Peyo has been very kind to provide a standpoint (5.15) for me to start
my bisecting diagnosis. However this is still WIP and I will try to
update my debug information here if ther are some progresses.
By the way, if there's someone would like to know, the monitor I tried
and worked is a Gechic On-Lap 1102H portable monitor.

Last but not least, the bootanimation will trigger the lock-up:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w1glF3EZJxS7oW-_L5lJDrbvsZSkemq3/view?usp=sharing
But it's awesome to see it got displayed !
Cheers to the Android on RISC-V.