Porting to a no modem tablet

satur9nine

Oct 11, 2017, 12:19:52 PM10/11/17
to android-porting
I am working on a tablet that has no modem (aka cellular radio) and is not designed to be used for receiving or sending voice calls/SMS/MMS using cdma/gsm/etc. This device does have Wi-Fi connectivity. I wonder if anyone has a complete list of changes that need to be made to the android platform for a devices like this? I am working on Nougat. Here's what I have so far:
  • switched my device mk file to point to full_base.mk instead of full_base_telephony.mk
  • added a overlay/frameworks/base/care/res/res/values/config.xml with config_voice_capable set to false, config_sms_capable set to false, config_telephonyHardware set to an empty string array
  • set PRODUCT_CHARACTERISTICS := tablet in my device mk file
  • copy tablet_core_hardware.xml to system/etc/permissions instead of handheld_core_hardware.xml
Am I missing anything? What about changes to init rc files?

Some things I noticed are the following modules are still included in the system image: BlockedNumberProvider, Telecom, TeleService, MmsService, TelephonyProvider, voip-common.jar, telecom.jar, telephony-common.jar, ims-common.jar. Even though I have selected the "no telephony" build mk files. Are these modules all needed on a device that doesn't have telephony features? As an experiment I removed the APKs (I haven't tried remove the jars yet) and the device seems to boot and run just fine so it seems they are just wasting resources.

Joey Troy

Oct 11, 2017, 12:56:21 PM10/11/17
to satur...@gmail.com, android-porting
Jacob,

Looks good so far, you will also want to add this in the device.mk

# Disbale Sim Card
PRODUCT_PROPERTY_OVERRIDES += \
	ro.radio.noril=yes

Also in the build/target/product folder you will want to look at the *.mk files and make some edits to remove packages you do not want. You will have some stuff like the following

Telecom \
TeleService \
MmsService \
TelephonyProvider \

most of these can be found in core_base.mk, generic_no_telephone.mk and core.mk. But look them all over, they have pointers starting with full_base.mk and will link you to each file there after.

Good Luck!

Joey