Android 1.0 Release Ported to Nokia N810

Peter McDermott

Dec 2, 2008, 10:19:11 PM12/2/08
to android-porting
Hi, all,

We ported the Android open-source release to the Nokia N810. This
involved patching the 2.6.25 Linux kernel with the N810 drivers and
hacking the userspace just a bit. The system can boot, WiFi doesn't
work (so no Internet access), and you have to pull the battery to
power it off. But, hey, it's a start!

You can downoad the kernel patch, a kernel image, a userspace image,
and a list of userspace changes at the following link:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=246840

For people making other ports, I wrote up a technical backgrounder
with details at:

http://nthcode.com/pubs/porting-android-to-a-new-device.html

If a someone would like to try out our patches and images and let me
know what works, and what might not be clear or correct in the
instructions, I'd be thrilled.

Regards,

Peter

P.S. Much thanks to the folks who made the pre-release Android work on
the N810 (Penguinbait, B-man, and QWERTY12). Their work saved us a
lot of time.

Brian Swetland

Dec 2, 2008, 11:30:50 PM12/2/08
to android...@googlegroups.com

Very cool. I've got an N810 around here somewhere -- hopefully I'll
have some time this week to try this out.

How do things look for the wifi driver? It sounded like there was a new
open source wifi driver for N8x0, but I haven't had time to check it
out.

Did you pull in the adb gadget driver to allow adb to work over usb?
The writeup (very nice) implies that's not done yet.

Brian

[Peter McDermott <pe...@nthcode.com>]

Peter McDermott

Dec 2, 2008, 11:37:14 PM12/2/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
Brian,

We're looking at the WiFi driver now and haven't tried adb, yet.
Will be great to hear if you're able to make it work on your N810.

Regards,

Peter

Mohan Parthasarathy

Dec 3, 2008, 1:04:45 PM12/3/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
Cool. I still have the older version of Android  running on my N810. That was using the 2.6.21 kernel. I am wondering whether using the 2.6.21 kernel and using Android changes would have made it a little simpler. Last time, not all the Android Kernel changes were taken in. Anyway, your way sounds better as you are using the latest version of Android Kernel.

Does the audio subsystem  work. Can you play videos

Thanks for the great write up. You have not mentioned any user space changes in your note. I was trying to download it from sourceforge but it gave me some error. I was able to download the kernel image but not the txt files.

Thanks
mohan

P.S I am having problems typing question mark and i need to reboot firefox i guess..

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Dec 3, 2008, 1:29:32 PM12/3/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
Might it make sense instead of playing constant catch-up to move
straight ahead to 2.6.27?

JBQ

Mohan Parthasarathy

Dec 3, 2008, 2:37:18 PM12/3/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
I did give it a shot but did not work.

I extracted the user space on my internal sd card and that's what corresponds to /dev/mmcbkl0p1.

I flashed the new kernel but it did not boot. After a minute or so, it reset itself.
Let me know if i am missing something..

-mohan

Brian Swetland

Dec 3, 2008, 3:17:17 PM12/3/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
[Mohan Parthasarathy <suru...@gmail.com>]

> Cool. I still have the older version of Android running on my N810. That
> was using the 2.6.21 kernel. I am wondering whether using the 2.6.21 kernel
> and using Android changes would have made it a little simpler. Last time,
> not all the Android Kernel changes were taken in. Anyway, your way sounds
> better as you are using the latest version of Android Kernel.

Backporting the current version of all the android drivers to .21 is a
bit of a pain. Also, I believe userspace now depends on .25 or later
(though you could probably hunt down and work around those issues).

It'd be nice to get the n8x0 patches updated for 2.6.27 as that's where
our current kernel development is happening at the moment, but currently
there's no requirement for .27 specific features or major changes since
the .25 based trees.

Brian

Peter McDermott

Dec 4, 2008, 12:48:31 AM12/4/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
Mohan,

Did you reformat your mmc as ext3?

The text files contain some instructions about how to do this as well as some notes about what we had to change in the user space.  I was able to download them at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=246840&package_id=301200 .  Did you try pressing the 'Direct Link?'  That's sometimes useful if the downloads don't begin automatically.

As far as what works and what doesn't, it can basically boot to the main menu and the touchscreen and keypad work.  That being said, the keypad doesn't work that well due to keymapping issues.  It's very proof-of-concept.

Good luck!

Peter

Mohan Parthasarathy

Dec 4, 2008, 12:13:22 PM12/4/08
On 12/3/08, Peter McDermott <pe...@nthcode.com> wrote:
Mohan,

Did you reformat your mmc as ext3?

Yes.

The text files contain some instructions about how to do this as well as some notes about what we had to change in the user space.  I was able to download them at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=246840&package_id=301200 .  Did you try pressing the 'Direct Link?'  That's sometimes useful if the downloads don't begin automatically.

Direct Link works, Thanks.

As far as what works and what doesn't, it can basically boot to the main menu and the touchscreen and keypad work.  That being said, the keypad doesn't work that well due to keymapping issues.  It's very proof-of-concept.

I feel that the issue is with the corrupt file system. At least, this used to happen before with the old version of Android. Whenever Maemo boots, it would never mount the filesystem on the external card (it used to be ext2). So, i would attach to a linux PC, fsck and then mount to start android. I suspect somehow that during the boot process, it thinks that the ext3 filesystem is corrupt. At least, maemo thinks so if i copy the userspace and just boot maemo, it does not like the filesystem. Perhaps, it is trying to mount as "vfat" and hence could be a completely different problem.

-thanks
mohan

b-man

Dec 5, 2008, 1:53:39 PM12/5/08
to android-porting
b-man, here

I would like to say congratulations for accomplishing this!. I would
also like to ask you if are planning to do anything with the N800. I
am mostly asking this because i have ben contacting qwerty12, who
managed to get this installed on his N800. However, he has reported
that the touchscreen and hardware keys did not work and that he has
applyed a hack from the previous port to fix the touchscreen but has
resulted in a non-functional kernel. Do you think this could be
resolved??

Btw, there is a discussion on internettablettalk.com covering the main
subject:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=247006#post247006

- Brian M

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Dec 5, 2008, 2:08:01 PM12/5/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
The Android platform will support soft keyboards in the foreseeable
future, which should resolve that specific issue for the N800 (or at
least will allow to write a soft keyboard that integrates with the
rest of Android and fits the N800's screen).

JBQ

b-man

Dec 5, 2008, 2:57:41 PM12/5/08
to android-porting
Yes, but there allrety are 3rd party software keyboards available.

My main consern is about the N800 touchscreen/hw key drivers being
compatible with the current Android kernel. qwerty12 tryed several
times to get the drivers to work but has had no luck in doing so. I
really would like to see this problem resolved so both N800 and N810
users will have a chance at this awsome experience.

- Brian M

Peter McDermott

Dec 5, 2008, 10:06:15 PM12/5/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
Brian,

I just posted a reply over on internettablettalk.com.

We don't have any N800s to test. But if someone can email us the
patch qwerty12 tried, we can definitely take a look.

By the way, Yongjun managed to get the Android Debug Bridge working on
the N810 last week. Not having any Android hardware (until now ;) ),
I wasn't sure how well it would integrate with Eclipse. It is
awesome! We'll update the sourceforge links next week.

Regards,

Peter

b-man

Dec 5, 2008, 11:04:17 PM12/5/08
to android-porting
You can obtain the N800 kernel diffs from here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dz1gtw8wttw

Good luck!!

- Brian M

b-man

Dec 5, 2008, 11:10:10 PM12/5/08
to android-porting
More information into how qwerty12 accomplished this can be found
here:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21709

Meizirkki

Dec 6, 2008, 5:17:32 AM12/6/08
to android-porting
Nth Codes android port is not the only choise.
I am using Solcas android, witch uses kernel with wifi drivers.

Meizirkki

Dec 6, 2008, 5:21:06 AM12/6/08
to android-porting
Mohan, i had same issue with Nth:s android.

- Remove external card, if inserted.
- Make sure you used "tar -zxvf" to untar the userspace, not "tar
zxvf" i used when i failed.

On 3 joulu, 21:37, "Mohan Parthasarathy" <surut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I did give it a shot but did not work.
>
> I extracted the user space on my internal sd card and that's what
> corresponds to /dev/mmcbkl0p1.
>
> I flashed the new kernel but it did not boot. After a minute or so, it reset
> itself.
> Let me know if i am missing something..
>
> -mohan

solca

Dec 6, 2008, 7:48:55 AM12/6/08
to android-porting
On 2 dic, 21:19, Peter McDermott <pe...@nthcode.com> wrote:
> We ported the Android open-source release to the Nokia N810.  This
> involved patching the 2.6.25 Linux kernel with the N810 drivers and
> hacking the userspace just a bit.  The system can boot,  WiFi doesn't
> work (so no Internet access), and you have to pull the battery to
> power it off.  But, hey, it's a start!

Hi!

I recently but a N810 and then ported too Android to the N810, just
that
I'm running latest kernel with the stlc45xx driver. Too bad I didn't
know
about your porting effort, maybe we haved helped each other.

I'll release my port probably the next week as I'm busy with other
things
right now.

Currently I'm working on enabling sound but more importantly chasing
an
elusive blizzard LCD controller crash. I was figuring that there is a
lot of
work left for an usable port on the NITs as drivers are currently not
using
the Linux APIs.

Too I'm working on a graphical chooser and distro installer based on
petit-boot but for the Internet Tablets.

I put my projects here if any one is interested:

http://guug.org/nit/

b-man

Dec 6, 2008, 9:16:21 AM12/6/08
to android-porting
Wow, this is awsome, now we have two progects working hard to port
Android to our tablets. :-)

@Meizirkki

How did you get to solaca's home page?? all i've ben getting was a
"403 forbidden" error while loading the webpage.

Meizirkki

Dec 6, 2008, 10:12:23 AM12/6/08
to android-porting
@b-man

I was getting forbidden error too, but solca gave me direct links to
his android kernel and userspace at IRC.

Peter McDermott

Dec 6, 2008, 11:22:22 AM12/6/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
Solca,

This is great! Kudos to you for making WiFi work -- and on a newer
kernel! Very very cool.

Maybe we can integrate your patches into our kernel and work on some
piece that you aren't working on so we don't duplicate effort?

Regards,

Peter

Meizirkki

Dec 6, 2008, 12:46:17 PM12/6/08
to android-porting
Wifi driver loads at boot but wifi still refuses to work, netcfg wlan0
up says:
# netcfg wlan0 up
action 'up' failed (No such file or directory)
---
That wifi driver will not compile kernels older than 2.6.28, so you
can not add it to your current kernel :(

Btw, really good work nth and solca!

Meizirkki

Dec 6, 2008, 4:24:25 PM12/6/08
to android-porting
I made a video about NITdroid

As you can see it works pretty fast.
I tool keyboard layout files from Nth port.
With NITdroids basic settings the only button that worked was back.

Awesome work guys!

b-man

Dec 6, 2008, 11:12:43 PM12/6/08
to android-porting
@Solca

Do you think it is possible to boot NITdroid from initfs??, so we can
still boot into maemo??

Meizirkki

Dec 7, 2008, 6:29:51 AM12/7/08
to android-porting
@b-man

Solca is making a new kind of graphical bootselector, as you can read
from his post above.

b-man kirjoitti:
Message has been deleted

edwardlee.2002

Dec 7, 2008, 9:30:06 PM12/7/08
to android-porting
Hi,solca,

Great efforts!

I have get great infos from http://guug.org/nit/.

Here I have two question need your help:
1. I can't find the definition of fix->xpanstep in your kernel patch.
I have download the full kernel code via git and also can't find it.
2. The link of http://guug.org/nit/nitdroid/nitdroid_userspace.patch.bz2
seems to be down.

Thanks for your great contribution!

solca

Dec 8, 2008, 4:13:30 AM12/8/08
to android-porting
(oops I reply just to the author the first time)

On 6 dic, 10:22, Peter McDermott <pe...@nthcode.com> wrote:
> Solca,
>
> This is great!  Kudos to you for making WiFi work -- and on a newer
> kernel!   Very very cool.

Thx!

> Maybe we can integrate your patches into our kernel and work on some
> piece that you aren't working on so we don't duplicate effort?

Sure, go ahead, the patch I use is in the site, you can check what it
is
missing so we don't duplicate effort.

solca

Dec 8, 2008, 4:20:18 AM12/8/08
to android-porting
On 7 dic, 20:30, "edwardlee.2002" <edwardlee.2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,solca,
>
> Great efforts!
>
> I have get great infos fromhttp://guug.org/nit/.
>
> Here I have two question need your help:
> 1. I can't find the definition of fix->xpanstep in your kernel patch.
> I have download the full kernel code via git and also can't find it.
> 2. The link ofhttp://guug.org/nit/nitdroid/nitdroid_userspace.patch.bz2
> seems to be down.
>
> Thanks for your great contribution!

Thanks! maybe you can check again as a few moments ago I finish
merging and porting Android's 2.6.27 branch to 2.6.28-rc7-omap plus
my local changes needed for N8x0.

In other news I just upload new pre-compiled versions that fix many
problems, I have sound almost working thanks to the new ALSA
backend for Android and I have a plan to battery metering (polling
directly /dev/retu now that the protocol is semi-known).

Peter McDermott

Dec 8, 2008, 5:47:49 AM12/8/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
Solca,

We downloaded and tried your new kernel today on one of our N810s. We
had some trouble -- seems the screen is often black. Yongjun checked
and he thinks this may be related to the double framebuffer in your
kernel driver.

Also, we downloaded your patch and applied it to the latest kernel.
After compiling, we flashed and the kernel can boot, but it crashed
very soon after book. We don't have your kernel configuration file.
Can you put that up for us to download and check?

We did merge your omap video driver into our 2.6.25 kernel. This
fixed some issues we had in our image last week. Yongjun spent much
of the day trying to merge the Nokia open-source WiFi into 2.6.25, but
hasn't been able to make it work, yet. Any pointers for us?

Regards,

Peter

Meizirkki

Dec 8, 2008, 8:45:37 AM12/8/08
to android-porting
i believe that it is not possible to make the open wifi driver work
with 2.6.25 kernel :(

There is a presentation about it:
http://stlc45xx.garage.maemo.org/stlc45xx-maemo-summit-2008.pdf

Meizirkki

Dec 8, 2008, 9:02:50 AM12/8/08
to android-porting
@ Solca:

I downloaded your latest kernel and rootfs, wifi goes on, and getcfg
shows wlan0: UP, but when it starts to search for networks, the whole
userpsace crashes, and the robot splash comes up.

Mohan Parthasarathy

Dec 8, 2008, 1:20:04 PM12/8/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
I tried your suggestions. But did not help. It got stuck at the "Nokia" Screen. Did you see any error messages logged ?

-thanks
mohan

solca

Dec 8, 2008, 2:28:12 PM12/8/08
to android-porting
On 8 dic, 04:47, Peter McDermott <pe...@nthcode.com> wrote:
> Solca,
>
> We downloaded and tried your new kernel today on one of our N810s.  We
> had some trouble -- seems the screen is often black.  Yongjun checked
> and he thinks this may be related to the double framebuffer in your
> kernel driver.

Hi Peter!

I remove support for double buffering in the latest patch as it is
the cause of the LCD controller death, I think the correct
aproach will be to to implement a libhgl.so that make use
of the framebuffer planes as the Xv implementation in
Xomap server.

But my prior patch have a working double framebuffer, maybe I'm
wrong and if it doesn't crash in 2.6.25 then it's not a hardware
problem but for some reason the LCD controller (Epson
Blizzard) dies with very fast page flipping.

> Also, we downloaded your patch and applied it to the latest kernel.
> After compiling, we flashed and the kernel can boot, but it crashed
> very soon after book.  We don't have your kernel configuration file.
> Can you put that up for us to download and check?

Ok, will upload my .config later as I'm not currently in my home
desk where the fun is :P

> We did merge your omap video driver into our 2.6.25 kernel.  This
> fixed some issues we had in our image last week.  Yongjun spent much
> of the day trying to merge the Nokia open-source WiFi into 2.6.25, but
> hasn't been able to make it work, yet.  Any pointers for us?

Direct merge it is simply not possible. stlc45xx requires newer
mac80211 as it is in 2.6.28 or in the linux-wireless git tree, but
you can use compat-wireless to have the latest mac80211 as
needed by stlc45xx in older kernels >= 2.6.22 unless it requieres
some arch changes only in 2.6.28. YMMV.

Hope this helps.

solca

Dec 8, 2008, 2:34:36 PM12/8/08
to android-porting
Shame on me! I always broke something when I fix something, will
take a look, hopefully is something simple as I'm pretty sure all
my prior wifi installation breakage is resolved.

solca

Dec 8, 2008, 2:35:33 PM12/8/08
to android-porting
You are a candidate to run the debugging kernel and see what
is going on, please report back.

On 8 dic, 12:20, "Mohan Parthasarathy" <surut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried your suggestions. But did not help. It got stuck at the "Nokia"
> Screen. Did you see any error messages logged ?
>
> -thanks
> mohan

Mohan Parthasarathy

Dec 8, 2008, 4:51:50 PM12/8/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
Sure, I am using the kernel from nthcode. Is that a debug kernel ? I don't see /var/log/messages. How do i get the debug messages ?

thanks
mohan

Peter McDermott

Dec 9, 2008, 3:16:00 AM12/9/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
Mohan,

One question: Did you reformat your internal mmc card as an ext3 filesystem as per the instructions?

Solca has made a port of Android to the N810 all on his own -- independent of what we did at NthCode.  Additionally, unlike us, he's ported it to a newer kernel (2.6.28) and enabled WiFi.  He has a debug kernel at http://guug.org/nit/nitdroid/  that you can download and flash to your N810.  We're looking at his patches now to see how they can improve our kernel.

I would be very interested to hear if flashing either his standard or debug kernel works for you.  The reason is that some folks have written to tell me that our kernel works OK on their N810s, so the fact that it isn't working for you is a bit of a mystery.

Good luck, and please report your results back to all of us!

Regards,

Peter

Meizirkki

Dec 9, 2008, 10:15:55 AM12/9/08
to android-porting
w00t! this is so great! Working WiFi! finally =P. I'll upload video as
soon as i can!

On 9 joulu, 10:16, Peter McDermott <pe...@nthcode.com> wrote:
> Mohan,
>
> One question: Did you reformat your internal mmc card as an ext3
> filesystem as per the instructions?
>
> Solca has made a port of Android to the N810 all on his own --
> independent of what we did at NthCode.  Additionally, unlike us, he's
> ported it to a newer kernel (2.6.28) and enabled WiFi.  He has a debug
> kernel athttp://guug.org/nit/nitdroid/ that you can download and
> flash to your N810.  We're looking at his patches now to see how they
> can improve our kernel.
>
> I would be very interested to hear if flashing either his standard or
> debug kernel works for you.  The reason is that some folks have
> written to tell me that our kernel works OK on their N810s, so the
> fact that it isn't working for you is a bit of a mystery.
>
> Good luck, and please report your results back to all of us!
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter
>
> On Dec 9, 2008, at 5:51 AM, Mohan Parthasarathy wrote:
>
> > Sure, I am using the kernel from nthcode. Is that a debug kernel ? I
> > don't see /var/log/messages. How do i get the debug messages ?
>
> > thanks
> > mohan

Mohan Parthasarathy

Dec 9, 2008, 12:55:56 PM12/9/08
On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 12:16 AM, Peter McDermott <pe...@nthcode.com> wrote:
Mohan,

One question: Did you reformat your internal mmc card as an ext3 filesystem as per the instructions?
Yes.

Solca has made a port of Android to the N810 all on his own -- independent of what we did at NthCode.  Additionally, unlike us, he's ported it to a newer kernel (2.6.28) and enabled WiFi.  He has a debug kernel at http://guug.org/nit/nitdroid/  that you can download and flash to your N810.  We're looking at his patches now to see how they can improve our kernel.

I tried the debug kernel, but no success. But Solca's  kernel requires that the root filesystem is on /dev/mmcblk0p3. I just copied to the internal SD card which is /dev/mmcblk0p1. Perhaps that could be a problem..

I would be very interested to hear if flashing either his standard or debug kernel works for you.  The reason is that some folks have written to tell me that our kernel works OK on their N810s, so the fact that it isn't working for you is a bit of a mystery.
The problem is that i am not able to get to the debug messages. If there is a way, let me know. I don't remember how i did this last time.

Initially i was using the "-l" option that does not really flash, but just loads the kernel with the new Image. Now, i tried the "-f" option but not with much luck.

-mohan

Meizirkki

Dec 9, 2008, 1:08:37 PM12/9/08
to android-porting
when you use solcas kernel, you need to use his rootfs untarred to
internal mmc, partition 3.

BTW, the video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7232749278972911905

Mohan Parthasarathy

Dec 9, 2008, 6:02:09 PM12/9/08
to android...@googlegroups.com

I created mmcblk0p3, created ext3, flashed the kernel and the kernel still does not come up. I did use the Debug Kernel but i can't see any message on the screen. It is hard to see what is going wrong.. Am i missing any steps ?

-mohan

solca

Dec 9, 2008, 6:49:09 PM12/9/08
to android-porting
Mohan:

Definetely you must see all the console output with the debugging
kernel,
even without a working partition it will end with kernel panic but you
can
read it on the screen.

The sequence with the debugging kernel is:

-Tux shows up.
-Lots of kernel console messages.
-root filesystem mounted.
-Nokia proprietary sw launched.
-A N D R O I D on screen
-Animated Android.
-Andriod GUI.

Always check the site and use the latest versions of both kernel and
filesystem at the same time.

On 9 dic, 17:02, "Mohan Parthasarathy" <surut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I created mmcblk0p3, created ext3, flashed the kernel and the kernel still
> does not come up. I did use the Debug Kernel but i can't see any message on
> the screen. It is hard to see what is going wrong.. Am i missing any steps ?
>
> -mohan
>
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Meizirkki <meizir...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > when you use solcas kernel, you need to use his rootfs untarred to
> > internal mmc, partition 3.
>
> > BTW, the video:
> >http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7232749278972911905
>
> > On 9 joulu, 19:55, "Mohan Parthasarathy" <surut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > filesystem
>
> > > Yes.

> > independent

solca

Dec 9, 2008, 6:55:36 PM12/9/08
to android-porting
For those who want to track my progress or comment on it:

http://jaiku.com/channel/NITdroid

Mohan Parthasarathy

Dec 9, 2008, 9:00:06 PM12/9/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hi Solca,

I downloaded sometime back and my size is

1572220 2008-12-09 09:27 zImage-nitdroid_debug

 ../flasher-3.0 -f -k zImage-nitdroid_debug -R

flasher v0.8.7 (Oct 17 2006)

Suitable USB device not found, waiting
USB device found found at bus 005, device address 055
Found device RX-44, hardware revision 0805
NOLO version 1.1.7
Version of 'sw-release': <no version>
Sending kernel image (1535 kB)...
100% (1535 of 1535 kB, avg. 20202 kB/s)
Flashing kernel... done.

The Nokia Image stays there for sometime and then disappears later. Nothing happens on my screen. Not sure what is going wrong..

-thanks for your help,
mohan

Meizirkki

Dec 10, 2008, 2:05:25 AM12/10/08
to android-porting
There really seems to be something wrong.. reflash the whole device
back to diablo, the flash new kernel is my suggestion... Good Luck

On 10 joulu, 04:00, "Mohan Parthasarathy" <surut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Solca,
>
> I downloaded sometime back and my size is
>
> 1572220 2008-12-09 09:27 zImage-nitdroid_debug
>
>  ../flasher-3.0 -f -k zImage-nitdroid_debug -R
>
> flasher v0.8.7 (Oct 17 2006)
>
> Suitable USB device not found, waiting
> USB device found found at bus 005, device address 055
> Found device RX-44, hardware revision 0805
> NOLO version 1.1.7
> Version of 'sw-release': <no version>
> Sending kernel image (1535 kB)...
> 100% (1535 of 1535 kB, avg. 20202 kB/s)
> Flashing kernel... done.
>
> The Nokia Image stays there for sometime and then disappears later. Nothing
> happens on my screen. Not sure what is going wrong..
>
> -thanks for your help,
> mohan

Mohan Parthasarathy

Dec 10, 2008, 12:56:13 PM12/10/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
That really helped. I did a complete update of the device and this time debug kernel comes up,

It mounts the root filesystem
Warning: unable to open an initial console

ANDROID init: cannot find /system/bin/playmp3, disabling bootsound
enabling adb
adb_open
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attemped to kill init!

and that's where it stops.

-mohan

P.S: I am not sure exactly what was wrong with the old bits on my device as i was using it as both a regular N810 and old-Android device. Perhaps, instructing users to reflash the device before starting with this would be useful.

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:19 AM, Roope Kuisma <meiz...@gmail.com> wrote:
I did not need anything else, i suggest to reflash the whote device with nokias firmware and then try flashing the solcas kernel again.

2008/12/9 Mohan Parthasarathy <suru...@gmail.com>
I used sfdisk to create parititons and created ext3 and copied. Do you need to do anything else ?

-mohan

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Roope Kuisma <meiz...@gmail.com> wrote:
I first partitioned with gparted. Every time i re-unpack android rootfs, i just use mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb3.

Good Luck with android =P

2008/12/9 Mohan Parthasarathy <suru...@gmail.com>

What utility dod you use to create a partition for the mmc card ? fdisk ?

Thanks
mohan

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Meizirkki <meiz...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Terveisin: Roope Kuisma, OH3FHM
---

--
Terveisin: Roope Kuisma, OH3FHM
---
Open Source ... Freedom Forever
---
Tiedätkö miksi en käytä hotmailia?
-En halua, että tämän allekirjoituksen tilalla olisi Microsoftin tuotemainos.

solca

Dec 10, 2008, 4:22:23 PM12/10/08
to android-porting
It seems your kernel is running fine, now probably your problem is the
filesystem, you should fetch the latest one and try with that kernel.

On 10 dic, 11:56, "Mohan Parthasarathy" <surut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That really helped. I did a complete update of the device and this time
> debug kernel comes up,
>
> It mounts the root filesystem
> Warning: unable to open an initial console
>
> ANDROID init: cannot find /system/bin/playmp3, disabling bootsound
> enabling adb
> adb_open
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attemped to kill init!
>
> and that's where it stops.
>
> -mohan
>
> P.S: I am not sure exactly what was wrong with the old bits on my device as
> i was using it as both a regular N810 and old-Android device. Perhaps,
> instructing users to reflash the device before starting with this would be
> useful.
>
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:19 AM, Roope Kuisma <meizir...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I did not need anything else, i suggest to reflash the whote device with
> > nokias firmware and then try flashing the solcas kernel again.
>
> > 2008/12/9 Mohan Parthasarathy <surut...@gmail.com>
>
> >> I used sfdisk to create parititons and created ext3 and copied. Do you
> >> need to do anything else ?
>
> >> -mohan

Mohan Parthasarathy

Dec 10, 2008, 5:20:03 PM12/10/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
Tried, but seems to get stuck in the same place. Perhaps, it is not getting copied. Are there any specific instructions in copying ? I am just doing "cp -a" as root.

-mohan

solca

Dec 10, 2008, 9:28:46 PM12/10/08
to android-porting
Hi!

I put slightly better instructions in the site.

On 10 dic, 16:20, "Mohan Parthasarathy" <surut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tried, but seems to get stuck in the same place. Perhaps, it is not getting
> copied. Are there any specific instructions in copying ? I am just doing "cp
> -a" as root.
>
> -mohan

> leer más »

Pivotian

Dec 11, 2008, 12:11:44 AM12/11/08
to android-porting
Its great to see Android working on Nokia. I have doubts regarding
Audio? Does you guys use ALSA driver for audio? if yes, what are all
the changes that you have made in userspace ? Also,Does nokia use
hardware Acceleration for 3D or does nokia have inbuilt video encoding/
decoding?If yes, how you guys make android to do video related stuffs
using nokia's inbuilt hardware capabilities.Please share your ideas.

Peter McDermott

Dec 11, 2008, 12:28:51 AM12/11/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
We don't support any of that, yet. It's just an initial port. The
touchscreen and keypad (mostly) work.

The Nokia does support a YUV overlay plane and has a hardware scaler
for video acceleration, but I don't think Android can currently take
advantage of those hardware features, yet.

I hear audio isn't so difficult to make work, but it's not the current
highest priority.

Regards,

Peter

Meizirkki

Dec 13, 2008, 6:35:16 AM12/13/08
to android-porting
Solca, thanks for the latest kernel and rootfs, this is SO great! Wi-
Fi network search works, Keypad works so well (Fn key too), it no more
crashes (with rd-mode) and i don't know it the double frame buffer is
on or off but the animation seems to be smooth and the screen no more
blinks! HUGE thanks for this, this is no more any kind of alpha i
guess, as someone said at itT, this is already a beta quality! =P

On Dec 11, 7:28 am, Peter McDermott <pe...@nthcode.com> wrote:
> We don't support any of that, yet.  It's just an initial port.  The
> touchscreen and keypad (mostly) work.
>
> The Nokia does support a YUV overlay plane and has a hardware scaler
> for video acceleration, but I don't thinkAndroidcan currently take
> advantage of those hardware features, yet.
>
> I hear audio isn't so difficult to make work, but it's not the current
> highest priority.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter
>
> On Dec 11, 2008, at 1:11 PM, Pivotian wrote:
>

> > Its great to seeAndroidworking on Nokia.  I have doubts regarding
> > Audio? Does you guys use ALSA driver for audio? if yes, what are all
> > the changes that you have made in userspace ? Also,Does nokia use
> > hardware Acceleration for 3D or does nokia have inbuilt video
> > encoding/
> > decoding?If yes, how you guys makeandroidto do video related stuffs

Meizirkki

Dec 13, 2008, 6:37:18 AM12/13/08
to android-porting
Does somebody know where to get maps, gmail or youtube apps? Googles
demo videos just say "klick the button in menu"

Mohan Parthasarathy

Dec 15, 2008, 1:31:50 PM12/15/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
Solca,

Okay, finally it worked for me after a couple of flashes. It looks like if you get into some problems, always update the device with the latest image using software updater for N810 and then start with Android flash process.

during the boot, Nitdroid Image started flashing on the screen, and finally  i got the error message (after about 2 minutes)

"Sorry: Application settings is not responding"

I did a force close and things are fine now..

Thanks for your help,

-mohan

Mohan Parthasarathy

Dec 15, 2008, 1:51:04 PM12/15/08
to android...@googlegroups.com
Wifi works for me too i.e, it at least reports that it gets an IP address (WPA2 security). But the browser is unable to connect though..

Are you able to use the browser ?

thanks
mohan

solca

Dec 15, 2008, 9:51:22 PM12/15/08
to android-porting
Hi Mohan,

I just uploaded a new release which fixes some problems including the
DNS issue you describe.

Too this mailing list is for porting efforts so I think is better to
post this kind of questions at the iTT forums:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25410

Thx!