Browser download hangs

Jesper Nordenberg

Oct 29, 2009, 10:22:56 AM10/29/09
to android-porting
I'm running Android on a Beagle Board and it seems browser downloads
just hangs with a "Waiting for data connection..." message. I've
mounted an SD card in the /sdcard folder. I've tried downloading
different file types (.apk and .zip) with the same problem.

Anyone seen this problem or know what causes it?

/Jesper Nordenberg

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 29, 2009, 10:26:13 AM10/29/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
The download manager follows the state of connectivity quite closely
(more so than most apps), so if there's an issue in the way
connectivity is reported to apps, the download manager tends to be the
first one to show symptoms.

Check isNetworkAvailable() at
http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/packages/providers/DownloadProvider.git;a=blob;f=src/com/android/providers/downloads/Helpers.java;h=d8f262c782b6f3d870574a00b270ebd8b180c0d9;hb=HEAD#l468

JBQ
--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Jesper Nordenberg

Oct 29, 2009, 12:00:20 PM10/29/09
to android-porting
I use an ethernet cable and USB adapter as connection to the Internet,
so there's no modem involved. Can that be the cause of the problem?

/Jesper Nordenberg

On Oct 29, 3:26 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> The download manager follows the state of connectivity quite closely
> (more so than most apps), so if there's an issue in the way
> connectivity is reported to apps, the download manager tends to be the
> first one to show symptoms.
>
> Check isNetworkAvailable() athttp://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/packages/providers/Download...
>
> JBQ

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 29, 2009, 12:08:25 PM10/29/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
If the connectivity manager stays unmodified and only tracks
connections over cell and wifi, yeah, that'd explain.

JBQ

Prabhu Srivastava

Oct 29, 2009, 12:15:44 PM10/29/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
I have got brower working on beagle board with different setup;
Could you please share log from adb shell?

Thanks
Prabh

Jesper Nordenberg

Oct 29, 2009, 12:29:36 PM10/29/09
to android-porting
This is what I get from "logcat" when trying to download Spotify:

I/ActivityManager( 816): Starting activity: Intent
{ act=android.intent.action.
VIEW cat=[android.intent.category.BROWSABLE] dat=http://
www.spotify.com/wp-conte
nt/uploads/android/0.3.21/SpotifyAndroid.apk
cmp=com.android.browser/.BrowserAct
ivity }
I/ActivityManager( 816): Starting activity: Intent
{ act=android.intent.action.
VIEW cat=[android.intent.category.BROWSABLE] dat=http://
www.spotify.com/wp-conte
nt/uploads/android/0.3.21/SpotifyAndroid.apk
cmp=com.android.browser/.BrowserAct
ivity }
I/ActivityManager( 816): Starting activity: Intent { dat=content://
downloads/do
wnload/3 cmp=com.android.browser/.BrowserDownloadPage }
D/dalvikvm( 816): GC freed 5745 objects / 462688 bytes in 131ms
I/ActivityManager( 816): Displayed activity
com.android.browser/.BrowserDownloa
dPage: 1376 ms (total 1376 ms)
E/power ( 816): Failed setting last user activity: g_error=0

/Jesper Nordenberg

On Oct 29, 5:15 pm, Prabhu Srivastava <p_srivast...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have got brower working on beagle board with different setup;
> Could you please share log from adb shell?
>
> Thanks
> Prabh

Jesper Nordenberg

Oct 30, 2009, 12:05:57 PM10/30/09
to android-porting
Thanks, a small patch of Helpers.java worked fine :)